+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone else notice...

FORT Newbie

Anyone else notice...

they had Suzie perform "Never Tear Us Apart" for the second time in the competition?

She performed that song in week 3 or 4 as well.

yes.
    it's actually been mentioned in the 9/7 discussion thread.

she performed it week 1 of the competition.

FORT Fan
    The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe INXS gave Suzie that song because they knew she would nail it and they wanted to keep her in the competition.

Methinks that the graveyard song "Need You Tonight", which caused Will's (first to leave?) departure earlier on, was given to Jordis because maybe INXS knew in that, despite her talent, she wasn't a good fit for the band. Why is song so difficult to sing anyway, given that it is a low-key catchy song with no particular high notes. Or was it set at a scale too low for Jordis' comfort? Why do contestants keep blowing this song? Of course, Jordis also blew Dream On and Layla before, though she also had some stunning performances like the David Bowie number and Imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde
    The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe INXS gave Suzie that song because they knew she would nail it and they wanted to keep her in the competition.
    What does that matter? INXS has the final say regardless of what the public wants. I suspect that they had her sing it again to see how she's grown or not grown. It's definitely much easier to compare apples with apples rather than with oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde
    Methinks that the graveyard song "Need You Tonight", which caused Will's (first to leave?) departure earlier on, was given to Jordis because maybe INXS knew in that, despite her talent, she wasn't a good fit for the band.
    That song is not gonna be sung successfully by anyone unless that someone makes us believe they are actually sweating with lust for us. Did anything Jordis do make you think she was lusting herself to sweatiness?

No.

Somebody there needs to turn up the heat, and turn it up high, if they're gonna ever sell that song. C'mon it's a song about RAW sexual desire. You can't just sing it the same way you sing about carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    Somebody there needs to turn up the heat, and turn it up high, if they're gonna ever sell that song. C'mon it's a song about RAW sexual desire. You can't just sing it the same way you sing about carrots.
    I agree completely.
    This is one of their biggest hits - they need someone who can sell it!! They should have the remaining contestants all do this song to see who can pull it off

Reality junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    That song is not gonna be sung successfully by anyone unless that someone makes us believe they are actually sweating with lust for us. Did anything Jordis do make you think she was lusting herself to sweatiness?

No.

I guess it depends on how much you like carrots and what function they serve in your life.

Seriously though I agree - and is there a contestant left that could do it justice? JD "possibly", Marty maybe if he sang it quietly instead of screaming it, but Suzie and Mig are both too "nice" for lust to sound right.

Maybe Deanna...

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    spot-on about Need You Tonight being about pure lust.

Peta Wilson ("La Femme Nikita" TV version) said in an interview, "If you're going to be sexy in a photo, you'd better be thinking about sex rather than thinking about being sexy."

I think the same principle applies for a performance such as is needed to pull off Need You Tonight.

JD might be able to own this song if he would lose the affectation and sound like a real person.

Mig - turns me on, but vocally I think he'd be a lightweight.

My lovely Marty - has the intensity, but the jury's out on the vocals. He may surprise us, though! He has taken the most risks with his performances, so we'll see.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

+ Reply to Thread