+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock Star: INXS 9/6 Recap - Look Out Tom Jones- Undies Are Flying On This Stage, Too!

Rock Star: INXS 9/6 Recap - Look Out Tom Jones- Undies Are Flying On This Stage, Too!

We could have some serious tunes going on tonight, folks. A potpourri of musical delight. A cornucopia of melodic fantasies. A carafe of sweet instrumental juice. Ok, you get the picture. So whatís on the line-up? Each contestant will be singing two songs tonight. One selection is from the viewerís choice and the other will be an original composition of their own. The usual introductions are done, yada yada yada and weíre given a review of the house show from Sunday night. Letís not forget that it was JDís birthday last week. Did you remember to wish him a crappy happy one?

Itís Not The Size Of The Bullhorn, Itís How You Sing Through It
    Speaking of JD (howís that for a segue), he is first up. His viewerís choice song tonight is Come As You Are by Nirvana. Now, if youíve read a few of my recaps, you see the trend of me poking oodles of fun out of this crazy cat. Heís such an easy target. But wipe away his cockiness and arrogance and heís a fun performer to watch.

JD starts off his first number with a sullen and bare bones approach. I like the echo-y acoustic sound and it gives off the ďIím alone in my room with incense and hippie beadsĒ feel. After a few stanzas, he kicks it in- drums kicking, lights flashing and audience doing the standard Nirvana head bob. Iím digging it big time.

From somber and recluse to in your face and loud, JD shifts gears to his original song: Pretty Vegas. Apparently some things are pretty while otherís ďainítĒ in this song. He even pulls out a bullhorn which gives it a real and unique feel. What a great and fun touch. While I always thought JD knew how to entertain, this is the first time that I feel he has connected not only with the audience but with the band as well. The band agrees and point out how he kept in line with Nirvana but managed to have fun and show originality.

One Organic Chai Latte And A Suzie Single To Go, Please
    Replace my Pier 1 furniture with a seedy bar in the Village, red velvet table tops, black lighting and a pack of clove cigarettes and my Suzie experience would be complete. Suzie pulled up a bar stool and stripped away last weeks fanfare for her rendition of I Canít Make You Love Me. Maybe Iím getting older or Iím just a sucker for a beautiful voice that isnít hidden behind todayís electronica but Iím enjoying the pull up a seat and let if flow approach of lately.

Keeping with the earthy and coffeehouse approach, Suzie transitions nicely into her original song Soul Life which is about staying true to who you are. Her song goes out with special props to Ty who left last week. Iím digging it. I would definitely buy her single but then again I also find that big ass silver bug ring on her finger sexy; so take that for what itís worth. Dave offers up that he thinks she is the strongest vocalist in the competition. He liked her original song but wasnít sure if the song would be appropriate in the rock star environment. Gary Beers is impressed at the short amount of time she had to make it sound incredible.

Hard To Handle This Performance
    Do you remember the bloody fistfight that Mig and Brandon got into back in week one? I kid. Brandon shorted out Mig for Hard To Handle but this week Mig isnít going to be anyoneís beyotch. He has the song all to himself.

My first reaction was one of confusion. I had always thought Mig to be a hip fashionista. Apparently is was half-off day at the Danny Terrio Clothing Emporium and Mig just had to get his hands on that bone choker and one-quarter zip up denim roller rink shirt. He started off a but shaky but got into the groove once he unzipped the remaining portion of his shirt. Iím on the fence about his performance tonight and hope his original song will bring him up a notch.

To say that the meaning of Migís second song is one of a sensitive nature would be an understatement of huge proportions. I even nervously shifted a bit when he said his song was about moving on after a loss of a loved one. Even the ever stoic Kirk have a little shift in his seat. Migís song was a very quiet and slow ballad and while I respect the song, I found it rather boring. It was the kind of song that youíd expect to find on the B side of the Mannequin II soundtrack. Tim pointed out that the contestants need to remember that they are trying out for INXS and the song choices should reflect such.

Nothing To See HereÖMove Along
    Next up is Jordis ďUgh!Ē-unga. I admit Iím a bit tone deaf after years of Shaun Cassidy being played in my house, but I wondered how many viewerís couldíve thought We Are The Champions was the right song for Jordis? She didnít seem too comfortable on stage and her look of wanting to get through it was evident.

Try Not is name of Jordisís original song that she and Marty co-wrote. Interestingly, the song is about overcoming the fear of being on stage and in the public eye. Maybe Jordis is method acting because she seems to be falling victim to the very thing she doesnít want to happen. I apologize for being so critical of Jordis but after knocking my tiger striped bikini briefs off last week with Imagine, I was expecting more from her. Dave recognizes her lack of ďfireĒ as well. Jordis admits she is doing exactly what the song is about. Jon Farriss counter attacks with a few ďatta girlísĒ and tells her to keep on rocking (while simultaneously winking in code his room number at the Super 8).

Trees, Thongs. Potato, Potah-to
    Marty has been racking his brain over how to meet INXSís wishes of showing sensitivity instead of thrashing. He found a good blend with his first song tonight. Marty took a page from the ďless is moreĒ book and went acoustic with the viewerís choice selection of Everlong by the Foo Fighters. He had some Grade A mojo going on as all the girls in the first ten rows were rhythmically swaying in zombie-like unison. Iím sure most of them are dying to meet up with him after the show in order to exchange eyeliner tips and the doís and doníts of proper application.

With Marty, tonight was all about seduction. And Iím not referring to the kind of seduction we donít talk about at cocktail parties. No, Iím talking about the idea of Marty as the next Rock Star. When it all comes down to it, Marty did what the previous four contestants could not do: produce an original song that the band would tap their foot to and would want to play. Marty did just that with his original song titled Trees. Itís a fun INXSexy song that could definitely make itís way to an album. Trees is about one man (Marty) convincing his women to fall in love with him. It is a catchy song and Marty is putting on a spectacular visual show. He has definitely perfected the ďarms out, head backĒ move as if he is exposing his inner self.

The cherry on top of this melodic sundae was a teeny-tiny thong being thrown onto the stage. My goodness, that thing was so skimpy I thought it was an eye patch for a poodle. Alas, the band loved it. Dave wanted to turn on the radio and hear it again. Jon loved the catchy tune and thought it was the hit of the night. Gary predicted that after that performance there would be many girls wanting to spend time in the ďtreesĒ with Marty.

So there you have it. Ten songs, five contestants. Some blew us away, otherís blew chunks. How will your favorite contestant fair? Would you buy their original song? All this and more to be answered. Stay tuned, stay groovy and stay rocking!

Favorite song of the night is being discussed here: speedbump@fansofrealitytv.com

Great recap Speedybump, see you in the coffeehouse!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump

One Organic Chai Latte And A Suzie Single To Go, Please
    Replace my Pier 1 furniture with a seedy bar in the Village, red velvet table tops, black lighting and a pack of clove cigarettes and my Suzie experience would be complete.

Apparently is was half-off day at the Danny Terrio Clothing Emporium and Mig just had to get his hands on that bone choker and one-quarter zip up denim roller rink shirt.

I admit Iím a bit tone deaf after years of Shaun Cassidy being played in my house...

Trees, Thongs. Potato, Potah-to

Itís a fun INXSexy song....

Stay tuned, stay groovy and stay rocking!
    *sheepishly admits to having a larger than life Shaun Cassidy head shot poster on her bedroom door through eighth grade*

at the Danny Terrio reference. Might just have to start incorporating INXSexy into my conversations.

Groovy recap, baby. Thong worthy, even.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    As always, another fantastic recap from Speedy. Thanks so much! Still laughing over many of your comments!

It was the kind of song that youíd expect to find on the B side of the Mannequin II soundtrack.
    Great recap, speedy.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    I love the line about winking his code at the Super 8. Classic!

Great recap.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

The cherry on top of this melodic sundae was a teeny-tiny thong being thrown onto the stage. My goodness, that thing was so skimpy I thought it was an eye patch for a poodle.

Very funny stuff, but the above quote cracked me up.

Great job, as always, speedy.

I would definitely buy her single but then again I also find that big ass silver bug ring on her finger sexy; so take that for what itís worth.

He started off a but shaky but got into the groove once he unzipped the remaining portion of his shirt.

Jon Farriss counter attacks with a few ďatta girlísĒ and tells her to keep on rocking (while simultaneously winking in code his room number at the Super 8).

The cherry on top of this melodic sundae was a teeny-tiny thong being thrown onto the stage. My goodness, that thing was so skimpy I thought it was an eye patch for a poodle.
    You have a definite knack with this recapping lark, speedy.

Great job

+ Reply to Thread