+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/7 Results Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Downsey
    I likened it to a Paul Martin moment. (our esteemed stuttering PM)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Glad you all explained and understand, because I think more people in America know who Tara, JD, Suzie and Deanna are than your PM.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

JD's original is really good. I wish he didn't have the maturity issues and the slight smarm factor. He was my favorite at the beginning, through California Dreamin. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'll bet he'd be perfect for this gig in about ten years (of course, INXS will be eligible for AARP benefits by then ).
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    And what's with Kirk? He looks like John Waters' little sibling!
    I kind of think Kirk looks adorable actually. He always looks amused about something. Kind of tickles me. So far (on the left coast) we've only heard the encores. I didn't mind the new song. Dave sounded great. Suzie sounded wonderful. For me, it's down to the two Canucks, JD's got all the performance skills, and Suzie's got the vocals. I like Marty well enough, but he's just not INXS enough, and MiG just isn't rock enough for me, more a pop performer. IMO.
    So, Go Canucks!!

(Do Canadian and Aussie viewers find that MiG or Suzie over-enunciate? I'm wondering if that's something that bothers American listeners more. I can't say I've noticed it, and wondered if it's the -sometimes subtle - differences between Canadian - in Suzie's case obviously - and American accents).

giz, I was thinking of posting almost the same thing about Kirk's inward smile. I find him very appealing (I love a man who doesn't take himself too seriously).
    Token Christian.

Jordis said that tonight was the most fun she had during her performance. If that was the most fun she had, I would hate to hear her when she's not having fun. She was so dull when singing. No energy at all, and it was so obvious that her voice didn't go well with INXS' style/songs. I did cry for her when she was saying her departing words, but I believe, like many of you, that she is going to be big as a solo performer.

The new INXS song "US" wasn't that bad. Too many people singing made it hard for me to appreciate it more. Suzie and JD sounded amazing. Jordis also sounded good. I could barely here Mig and I don't recall hearing Marty at all.

Because of the number of people left, I knew that Suzie was going to be one of the bottom 3. But like always, I was confident she would do great. I could tell just how much power and energy she had compared to Jordis. Suzie just rocks. I would have no problem seeing her front INXS, but unfortantely, there are so many people that are counting her out just because she's a female.

Not surprised either that JD was also in the bottom 3. I knew that Mig would be saved by his fans after his sucky performance. But again, I was confident that JD would rock the house, and that he did! Rock on, JD!

From my US-based perspective, the over-enunciating isn't an accent thing. I use that term to describe when a singer mauls (primarily) their vowels, turning the majority into dipthongs. It's as though they think it makes them sound more professional, or more "rock star," or something. Someone contrasted Suzie, for example, to Chrissie Hynde upthread. That's a good example in my mind: Chrissie's singing is straightforward and sounds very clean. Imagine if she sang, "In the middle of the rahowowd…"

Dh and I watched a few minutes of a completely cheesy local (Portland-area) singing competition last night. The guy who ended up winning did the same thing with his pronunciation. It drove me crazy!

There's my .02.
    Last edited by jasmar; 09-08-2005 at 12:40 AM.
    Token Christian.

giz
    Thanks Jasmar. I lurve me some Chrissie Hynde, so can see what you mean. Possibly coincidentally, the main difference between a Canadian accent and one from, say Washing ton state or somewhere without a strong regional dialect, is that we Canadians have a raised dipthong! We might speak more quickly (!), but we also have that hiccup in our vowels.

Having said that, and while I enjoyed J.D.'s Mystify, I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. I think I'll take the dipthong with my order, please. I was thinking that if they could get J.D. to improve his vocals a smidgen (enunciate, sing more talk the songs less) he would be my star candidate. Suzie on the other hand really sings the songs, she enjoys the notes, which none of the remaining performers do IMO.

FORT Newbie
    To those who are commenting on whether the performers are/aren't rock enough, isn't INXS a pop band? I'd never label them as "rock". Therefore, shouldn't they be looking for a good pop performer?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmar
    From my US-based perspective, the over-enunciating isn't an accent thing. I use that term to describe when a singer mauls (primarily) their vowels, turning the majority into dipthongs. It's as though they think it makes them sound more professional, or more "rock star," or something. Someone contrasted Suzie, for example, to Chrissie Hynde upthread. That's a good example in my mind: Chrissie's singing is straightforward and sounds very clean. Imagine if she sang, "In the middle of the rahowowd…"

There's my .02.
    Wonder if they sang in chorus or choir because in those types of singing groups you are encouraged to over enunciate to make the group sound better. I sang in church choir and that was the hardest thing for me to do. Well besides hit the right notes. LOL! I didn't last long. I was drafted to begin with and when they heard me sing for about 2 months decided I was better off doing something else.
    But our choir director spent a lot of time on teaching us how to properly enunciate certain words.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Maybe not Chrissie Hynde but steal Shirley Manson from Garbage!
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

+ Reply to Thread