+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/6 Performance Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Newbie
    Saige - why don't you like Suzie? I happen to really like her but I do admit that I can't see her with INXS. Just curious to hear a different point of view about her?

I totally agree with you about Jordis

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Haven't seen the show yet, but since I was there:

1. J.D.
    2. Marty
    3. Suzie
    4. MiG
    5. Jordis

Toss up between JD and Marty for the encore. Jordis goes home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Trees is definitely catchy!
    My list:
    1. Marty
    2. Mig, Suzie, JD (tied)
    5. Jordis

(OMG! Mig's not my #1 this week.)

FORT Fogey
    I just think she sounds the same in all her songs and I feel she gets praised for singing in her comfort zone, but the others get told especially Marty and Mig tonight to change up their ways. I just do not enjoy her singing and I think she just does not put on a good show.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsmommy
    Saige - why don't you like Suzie? I happen to really like her but I do admit that I can't see her with INXS. Just curious to hear a different point of view about her?

I totally agree with you about Jordis
    I'm not Saige, but can I reply? She turned me off first show with her snarky comment to Marty about vocal polyps. And she is too Hillary Duff, Brittany Spears, Christina Aguilara for me. Looks like them, kind of sounds like them. I feel she is not in her right element and should go more towards pop. Also reminds me of the popular cheerleader type in school that was so two faced it made you puke.

She just turns me off and I don't trust her.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Suzie is great, but it seems a stretch to picture her with INXS. MIG, on the other hand, I could totally see. Ditto for Marty.

FORT Newbie
    Normally, when it's time to go vote, I'm hurrying to vote for all the people I thought were really good -- trying to figure out who was really good enough to get my vote that night.

Tonight, it was easy.

J.D.'s original song was really good and he clearly had the crowd going. But it was derivative and I've heard that melody before. More importantly, it didn't make up for his horrible, painfully bad rendition of 'Come As You Are,' which was embarassingly dedicated to the flood victims in Mississippi. Wait, you're dedicating 'Come As You Are' to a bunch of evacuees?! There's not enough jaw-drop in the world. NO VOTE FOR YOU.

Suzie has a beautiful voice. She didn't make the best of it with the Bonnie Raitt cover. Compared to Deanna earlier in the show, and compared to the original song, she sounded fluffy and weak. Pretty, but no oomph, no heartbreak. No blues. Her original song was good, but I couldn't tell if I liked it just because it was better than her cover. I'm being harsh tonight -- NO VOTE FOR YOU. P.S: I see London, I see France...

MiG. Oh, man. 'Hard To Handle' was just a mess. He wasn't enunciating over the band, and whoever said it sounded like karaoke...seconded. I really liked MiG at the beginning. But I'm starting to realize he's very pretty, but he doesn't have any of the raw, smoldering sex of Michael Hutchence. He's not dangerous. He's...Richard Marx. That pop ballad was just embarassing. NO VOTE FOR YOU, and MiG, god, please find your inner rock star soon.

Jordis has made a mess of too many good songs. 'Layla,' 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door,' 'Dream On,' and now 'We Are The Champions.' She didn't destroy it like she destroyed the others, but it was sloppy -- she did nothing creative with it except dodging what she couldn't do. We have established that Jordis does not have a vocal range. Why does she keep going after Freddie Mercury and Steven Tyler? Her original song was interesting, but it was only interesting for its musical arrangement...which, as we know from yesterday, was entirely the doing of the House Band. So...NO VOTE FOR YOU.

And then Marty came on. I did not like Marty at all when this show started. Not a fan (though I've warmed to him considerably over the course of the show; he gets my Most Improved award). Also, I hate 'Everlong.' A lot. But he performed it beautifully, and he managed to be intense without coming off as psychotic. I liked his rendition. And then 'Trees.' Now, I've heard 'Trees' from before Rock Star: INXS (it's on Marty's band's website). Hearing it tonight...the difference is astounding. Marty's vocal ability has completely transformed. His performance was exciting, a great balance to his understated 'Everlong.'

I used to think MiG had this show in the bag. Now...I'm starting to envision Marty Casey pulling INXS into the 21st century.

Tay

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayven
    NO VOTE FOR YOU.

Oh man, your post was pretty darned funny! Thanks Tay.

OK, my favorite overall performance tonight was Marty. His original sounded great and also sounded better than a lot of INXS' later material. I think he may be the strongest songwriter.

I loved MiG's performance of "Hard to Handle" and didn't think it sounded kaoraoke at all. He sang in a deeper register (in the beginning, although it got higher as he went on) and I think that added a lot to the song. His original--I wasn't loving it so much. It sounded like a generic pop song (though if he sang it to me I'm sure I would've melted. But then why would he sing it to me when he has Simone waiting for him at home?). And to the person who said he was ugly...I know what you mean, but he's not. OK, let me clarify--did any of you ever see that SEINFELD episode where Jerry's dating a woman who is gorgeous in a certain light and hideous in another? It's weird 'cause some shots of MiG just show him looking so-so and other shots (usually the performance shots) show him looking hotter than a super model. It's a weird thing...nice to know that guys can have off days too.

I actually liked Jordis's original a lot as well--almost as much as Marty's. Her performance tonight seemed a little hesitant, but that didn't bother me and I liked the vocal register...

Suzie -- what's there to say. I just do not like her voice and I think Navarro and the INXSers are full of it when they go on and on about how she has the best voice of the group. Best voice for what? For a rock band? No. For "Up With People"? Absolutely. I'm only being slightly facetious--her voice is better suited for a forum that doesn't deal with guitar based rock 'n' roll.

JD--eh. He was OK tonight. Nothing spectacular.

I think we may be seeing MiG singing an INXS song tomorrow night. I doubt he'll get sent home though--he's too popular with the viewers and Burnett and INXS know that. I am one fan of his who is looking forward to seeing what he can do with one of their tunes.

Bring it!

Ranking:
    Marty
    JD
    Suzie
    Mig
    Jordis

Jordis is just not roit for OB:INXS .... she has got great raw talent ... and she needs to start feeling better about herself and her body and learn to let loose and go with the music. Someday when she develops a stage presence, she'll be really good.

Marty and JD ... rocked the house ...

Quote Originally Posted by Saige
    JD/MIg I am on a toss up between the two and like them both a lot.
    I think you're the only one!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

+ Reply to Thread