+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male or Female

Male or Female

There seems to be quite a few people that do not think that a female should front INXS. This show has reminded me that Eddie Van Halen's first choice to replace David Lee Roth, was Patty Smythe of Scandal. She turned him down.

I just want them to pick the best person for their band INXS. Jordis and Suzie are technically better than most of the men...It seems to me that if a man wins, they will not be able to get out of Michael Hutchence shadow. If a woman wins, they are reborn as a band.

The problem with the show seems to be that we don't get to ear the favorites actually sing INXS songs. While I really like Marty, MiG and Jordis- I don't have any idea if they can pull it off, so that leaves me with wanting Suzie to win.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Babymay, You have voiced what I have been saying all along about a woman taking the band in a different/non Hutchence direction. I think Our Band INXS is confused about why Suzie continues to end bottom 3. The best example I can come up with is the way Fleetwood Mac went from a blues band known mostly in the UK to a world famous Pop/Rock band when Christine McVie replaced Peter Green. I think any male chosen is going to be Hutchensed to the point of non creativity. How old will it get for Mig, Marty,JD or Ty to continually hear " Michael wouldn't have done it like that?" I know I am in the minority on this but I still don't see why a woman can't front this band.

I totally agree, Razorbacker.

INXS could totally work with a female lead singer, and the band knows it. They could've eliminated no one but females up to this point if they wanted to, but the ratio has remained almost even, and I could see them possibly going with Suzie or Jordis if they fit the band best.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Babymay, You have voiced what I have been saying all along about a woman taking the band in a different/non Hutchence direction.
    While there's nothing wrong per se about going in a different direction on their upcoming album I don't think they'll want to deviate too far with their older songs since that might alienate too many of their fans. Can you imagine Marty doing them all in his pyscho semi-monotone style? Yeesh.

I think any male chosen is going to be Hutchensed to the point of non creativity. How old will it get for Mig, Marty,JD or Ty to continually hear "Michael wouldn't have done it like that?"
    J.D. already has his Michael vocal impersonation down pat and I'm pretty sure he would be okay with doing it that way for as long as INXS wants him to, assuming that's what they are looking for -- he really does want to be in the band that badly.

I know I am in the minority on this but I still don't see why a woman can't front this band.
    I don't see why, in general, they couldn't either. However all the remaining women are lacking in some way. Suzie lacks the stage presence of the others, Deanna has to sing in a different key, and Jordis is lacking the energy. If you kind of squished them together -- Suzie's technical ability, Deanna's energy and soulfulness and Jordis's tone -- and mixed in some of Jessica's prancing around on stage which actually was somewhat similar to Michael's style you would have the perfect female Michael replacement.

The guys are all lacking in some way as well, though. J.D. has a suspect upper register. Ty can't quite shake off his Broadway style. Marty, at least so far, seems to only be able to sing in a style that's diametrically opposite to Michael's and his range is suspect. And MiG doesn't have that mesmerizing stage presence that Marty and J.D. have when they are at their best.

I think a girl could easily front the group and Suzie would be my choice over Jordis.

However, to the person who said MiG doesn't have the mesmerizing stage presence. I went to the first taping of the 15 having already heard music from all of them from either their previous bands or broadway shows.MiG was actually my least favorite of both males and females. By the end of the first show he had totally pulled me in....along with Marty and Jordis. I think he is so compelling to watch when he is on stage for any type of song.

I am a big INXS fan. However, there are only two people that I would actually go and pay to see on tour as the lead singer for INXS and that is Marty and MiG.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

While I would prefer a male singer, I think a female might give the band a new twist. Look at the Black Eyed Peas when Fergie came on board. And No Doubt is all about Gwen Stefani, Blondie - Debbie Harry. I still like JD or MiG though...I think Marty only sings one psycotic way. It's good...just not INXS.
    Out. for. a. walk... Bitch.

FORT Newbie
    Jordis is the only woman who hasn't been in the bottom 3, while JD, Ty, Mig and Marty have not been there to my recolection.

One theory is that the three blondes split the vote. Yes, they are completely different from each other, but sometimes you can't predict the public at large's votng preferences and perceptions. They might not be able to see past 3 blondes. Jordis, on the other hand, is "exotic".

The other theory is, of course, the public simply doesn't want a woman to front the band.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    there are only two people that I would actually go and pay to see on tour as the lead singer for INXS and that is Marty and MiG.
    As much as I wouldn't mind a female leading the band...errr excuse me, Our Band...I do have to agree with JLuvs here. I'd probably go to see Jordis or Suzie perform as solo acts or parts of other bands, but as part of INXS, I'd go if MiG or Marty were in the lead position.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SpilltheBeans
    Jordis is the only woman who hasn't been in the bottom 3, while JD, Ty, Mig and Marty have not been there to my recolection.
    Ty was in the bottom three after his mangling of Everlong (he sang Kick for his INXS song) and just missed this bottom three this week. J.D.'s been in the bottom five the past two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    As much as I wouldn't mind a female leading the band...errr excuse me, Our Band...I do have to agree with JLuvs here. I'd probably go to see Jordis or Suzie perform as solo acts or parts of other bands, but as part of INXS, I'd go if MiG or Marty were in the lead position.
    Exactly; I really liked INXS back in the day, and might even go see them now if I had a chance, but not with any of the female singers from this competition in the lead spot.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast