+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/14 Show Discussion **Not Really Spoilers By Now!**

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Blonde
    the way i look at it is they weren't very clear on what the task was. the way it sounded was it was a songwriting clinic - not a 'hey, how well can you work with others' clinic (which indeed is what is was) and given that, jd wanted to make it something great. so, will the band see him as difficult because he wanted to *shine* in this task by giving them a great song? i'd have to assume that if he were part of INXS that he wouldn't be as "difficult" as the other contestants are making him out to be. he seems to be the only one who knows why they're there - and he's the only one being honest about it. "we're COMPETING to be in a band."

it's a tough call though to say what the band thinks. if they're able to put it all into context they might be more willing to give jd a serious shot at this.

my personal opinion is that the other contestants are now doing what they have to do to knock jd down (psychologically). they see him as a threat - and they want to try and reign him in. if they can make him look bad to the viewers, perhaps we won't vote for him.

Wow, well put. I suspect that, as he looks up to INXS so much, he wouldn't be domineering with them. I missed the first few minutes of the show, but if they weren't clear enough on what the goal of the clinic was, then, yes he was right to stick to his guns. He may have felt uncomfortable singing Jordis's song (not only because he didn't like it, but) because he wouldn't want to take credit for something he didn't do. I may be giving the boy too much credit here! I think he impresses our band, but they also seem slightly uncomfortable with him. They give Marty most of the (aired) compliments, and I feel he's likely the frontrunner right now. (which is why it's odd they would give the poor man a Brittney Spears song. cruel bastards).

Downsey, I agree with what you said as well. The Monday show makes this more interesting IMO. It's a shame they have hidden it from some of the viewers. It makes the psychology of the contest more evident, and I like speculating about the machinations of the "players".

Ace
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I think he impresses our band, but they also seem slightly uncomfortable with him.
    They're definitely uncomfortable with him (they watch the "home life" episodes, too). I would think that the only quality of his they would be impressed with is his sway over female mimbo-lovers.

They give Marty most of the (aired) compliments, and I feel he's likely the frontrunner right now. (which is why it's odd they would give the poor man a Brittney Spears song. cruel bastards).
    I would say Mig is the front runner (unless he can't sing ballads, which we'll find out tonight when he takes a stab at "Baby, I Love Your Way").

Ace
    However, you're right, they possibly coudln't tolerate J.D. (On the other hand is he difficult, or is it just the editing? He was trying to get along with them, but they were totally shutting him down.
    It's not just the editing (I've heard this argument before regarding reality TV "villains" and it always turns out that these people are just as stupid and/or jerky in real life). And I felt J.D.'s efforts to get along with them were transparent passive-aggressive behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Blonde
    the way i look at it is they weren't very clear on what the task was.
    Actually, I just went back and watched the opening minutes of the show again, and Dave was really quite clear that it was about "collaboration" and "working within the 'group' dynamic."

That said, I totally understand JD's wanting to create something grand and glorious for the project. Why shouldn't you try? However, he's shown before that his M.O. when he doesn't get his way is the passive/aggressive route or just walking out. I don't think that bodes too well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    It's not just the editing (I've heard this argument before regarding reality TV "villains" and it always turns out that these people are just as stupid and/or jerky in real life).
    Ace, I do agree that it's not just a case of editing with JD. If they really wanted to make him look like a "villain," they would have cut out the part that showed him grinning and patting Marty on the shoulder after he (at least half-)jokingly said, "But if it sucks, it will be his fault." (After electing Marty the musical director for their team)
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-16-2005 at 03:14 PM.

They give Marty most of the (aired) compliments, and I feel he's likely the frontrunner right now. (which is why it's odd they would give the poor man a Brittney Spears song. cruel bastards).
    I agree Marty is the man to beat at this point...perhaps the assigned song is a psychotically clever way to find out if Marty has got a solid enough fan voting base to pull him through even if he crashes and burns on the Britney song.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

giz
    That's a psychotically clever deduction AJane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    As for "Hit me Baby One More Time. . . ." If I were given that to sing, I'd make it very over-the-top, very satirical, and very heavy glam-rock. Since it's apparently going to be an acoustic week, that won't exactly work for Marty. I don't know what the poor guy is going to do.
    I have to admit, Marty's performance is the thing I'm most looking forward to tonight. Whatever will he do?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    I have to admit, Marty's performance is the thing I'm most looking forward to tonight. Whatever will he do?

torture I tell you, this is torture
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    torture I tell you, this is torture
    You're just going to explode one of these days, aren't you?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    You're just going to explode one of these days, aren't you?
    YES...and I am not going to be here tonight to see what you all have to say
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast