+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/14 Show Discussion **Not Really Spoilers By Now!**

giz
    Finally saw the epi. That was wierd. Jordis' wasn't bad, but J.D.'s was a lot better. It had a good hook and sounded like an INXS song (and the bit at the end, when he performed it with the house band, had a little bit of a Celtic sound- not suprising since he's from Nova Scotia). Why did she think vague was better? Did she really think that, was she just trying to scuttle J.D. as she doesn't like him, or did she just want to shine? Marty said J.D. was being "diabolically clever" to hive off as it showed him solo, but all I saw with Jordis' song was Jordis. They really sucked as a team effort, but I do kind of feel for Marty trying to wrangle those two. It seemed cruel and unusual punishment (or karma?),to be getting Brittney Spears. I kind of think that the song is so wretched that he won't want to perform it in a less serious vein, as otherwise he'd feel like a bubble-gum twerp. Better they should have given him something like Songbird (by Christine MacVie?), or even I'm a Believer by the Monkees. A song he wouldn't be embarrassed by, but one that's a little up. The other group was fun to watch, they seem nice, easy to get along with. But J.D.'s song was the best!!

Well Burnett must have enjoyed the raw footage provided by the contestants tonight. Great contrast between the team who played nice and ended up with the bad song ("sounded a little Electric Company" - good one Dave!) and the team who couldn't work together. JD as usual provided the drama playing the role of talented outcast. Good entertainment I thought...
    meh...

Good thoughts, giz and Kungfuhippie!

The thing I've noticed about Jordis is that she's extremely negative and resistant to change. During the style clinic, she wasn't having any of it, during the vocal clinic she came off (to me, at least) as quite aloof, and she refused to back down on this songwriting clinic, as well. JD's hardly the model citizen for admirable Rock Star living, but at least his song was something really great, and he was making an effort to work with the group at first.

By the way, I prefer songs that tell stories over vague, obtuse angst.

As for "Hit me Baby One More Time. . . ." If I were given that to sing, I'd make it very over-the-top, very satirical, and very heavy glam-rock. Since it's apparently going to be an acoustic week, that won't exactly work for Marty. I don't know what the poor guy is going to do. INXS said they wanted to see him take on something "not-so-serious," but I don't consider "Take Me Out" or "You Really Got Me" terribly serious, so I'm not sure what he's having to prove.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-16-2005 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Marty said J.D. was being "diabolically clever" to hive off as it showed him solo, but all I saw with Jordis' song was Jordis.
    I noticed that too. It seemed Jordis was doing most of the singing.
    Jordis song wasn't bad, but JD's song rocked.

Both, Jordis and JD were acting like little kids. No one wanted to back down. It's just that JD has a flair to be a little more dramatic. Kind of like a child throwing a temper tantrum, but I still think he was done wrong by Marty by telling him to go write the lyrics, and then shutting him completely out just to please Jordis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I noticed that too. It seemed Jordis was doing most of the singing.
    Jordis song wasn't bad, but JD's song rocked.

Both, Jordis and JD were acting like little kids. No one wanted to back down. It's just that JD has a flair to be a little more dramatic. Kind of like a child throwing a temper tantrum, but I still think he was done wrong by Marty by telling him to go write the lyrics, and then shutting him completely out just to please Jordis.

The interesting thing is that even though I couldn't stand Jordis' lyrics, her melody is still in me head. Perhaps if Marty had thought to try and get JD to work some words to her melody they could have saved Our Band from hearing "Stop Go" while they were eating.

Ace
    The remaining members of INXS are fully equipped to write without the input of their new lead singer. J.D.'s song may have been better than his teammates' song and "Stop/Go" (which was just stupid and atrocious), but that doesn't make it a masterpiece or a potential hit.

The question is, "Could our band, INXS, tolerate the J.D.-ster?". Judging by their comments on some of the recent performance shows, I'd say the answer is a resounding "No".

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    The remaining members of INXS are fully equipped to write without the input of their new lead singer. J.D.'s song may have been better than his teammates' song and "Stop/Go" (which was just stupid and atrocious), but that doesn't make it a masterpiece or a potential hit.

The question is, "Could our band, INXS, tolerate the J.D.-ster?". Judging by their comments on some of the recent performance shows, I'd say the answer is a resounding "No".
    True, true, the point was to work as a group, and J.D., Marty and Jordis all failed at that (Jessica who?). For me, J.D.'s song could get airplay at least, I thought it was good. The melody stood out. They might not need the songwriting talent, but it wouldn't hurt. However, you're right, they possibly coudln't tolerate J.D. (On the other hand is he difficult, or is it just the editing? He was trying to get along with them, but they were totally shutting him down).

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    True, true, the point was to work as a group, and J.D., Marty and Jordis all failed at that (Jessica who?). For me, J.D.'s song could get airplay at least, I thought it was good. The melody stood out. They might not need the songwriting talent, but it wouldn't hurt. However, you're right, they possibly coudln't tolerate J.D. (On the other hand is he difficult, or is it just the editing? He was trying to get along with them, but they were totally shutting him down).

the way i look at it is they weren't very clear on what the task was. the way it sounded was it was a songwriting clinic - not a 'hey, how well can you work with others' clinic (which indeed is what is was) and given that, jd wanted to make it something great. so, will the band see him as difficult because he wanted to *shine* in this task by giving them a great song? i'd have to assume that if he were part of INXS that he wouldn't be as "difficult" as the other contestants are making him out to be. he seems to be the only one who knows why they're there - and he's the only one being honest about it. "we're COMPETING to be in a band."

it's a tough call though to say what the band thinks. if they're able to put it all into context they might be more willing to give jd a serious shot at this. if they're looking at his behavior in this competition though as something they might have difficulty dealing with in the future then his chances might not be so good.

my personal opinion is that the other contestants are now doing what they have to do to knock jd down (psychologically). they see him as a threat - and they want to try and reign him in. if they can make him look bad to the viewers, perhaps we won't vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bethw12000
    ITA.

I also think Ty got robbed. Others have gotten a visit from a loved one for the encore. All he got was to pick the first person - which ended up not even being on his team? Big let-down.

i just watched a video from the house show on msn.com where ty did get a visitor for winning the encore. it was a teacher of his that inspired him to do what he's doing now.

FORT Fanatic
    Although I think the JDiva tag is quite funny, I don't think it was very accurate. He gave Marty the nod for music director...seemed to take the suggestion of working on his own with grace (so they could cut and paste bits together). Jordis seemed to be playing Marty to get her way....nothing wrong with that if it works. Marty seemed to side with Jordis as it probably didn't hurt him as much as if JD's song was great. JD is already a major rival. Marty probably expected the song to vanish, never expected JD to get a solo performance for it.

It was a good gamble on Marty's part. Good try on Jordis part. Good on JD for finishing the song and being able to perform in on a moments notice.

I wouldn't really think of JD as a Diva...in the end, his song was better, much better than Jordis'. If his was not as good or even just as good then he'd be a baby. His stance seems justified to me. Plus...the "we're not a band, we're competing to be in a band" was a pretty classic line.

And.....oh lord Ty....I think you may have hurt your chances with that episode. The "Band Camp" collaboration, hand holding and "oh my god..this was so much fun' clips were painful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast