+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 8/10 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

I have no faith in the voting process, what a sham this is.
    Great night for Suzie. She rocked.

FORT Regular
    Ty got his well-deserved encore. My recording got partially cut off so I can't make an exact comparison but I thought he sounded better tonight than Tuesday and he skipped the yodeling at the end.

It's interesting that they revealed the bottom five this time and that J.D. was in it. Though we don't know how he ranked in the voting in the previous weeks it seems like the shine he got from his early performances like California Dreamin and Hand in My Pocket has almost worn off. Maybe people are getting tired of his antics or maybe they are getting tired of the "sameness" of his performances or maybe it's something else but whatever the reason he's clearly not a front runner anymore in the eyes of the voters (assuming he ever was). He is going to need to do something drastic if he wants to stay out of the bottom three in the next week or two -- i.e. after Jessica is presumably gone though you never know with her.

It's also going to be rough for the remaining women except for Jordis (though presumably she can't afford to have another bad performance either) since three of the remaining four women were in the bottom five. INXS will probably protect one of them until close to the final (i.e. Suzie or Deanna) but given the praise they've been giving the guys it's unlikely they'll keep two plus Jordis around for any length of time.

The bottom three performances this week were a lot closer, to me, than the previous ones.

Jessica's the Nikki McKibbin of RS:I -- perpetually in the bottom of the voting but managing to hang on for another week. She continues to show she does INXS songs very well, though. Vocally she wasn't as good as she was on Elegantly Wasted but it was still very good except for her typical minor out-of-tuneness in places. For some reason she has more energy and shows more passion doing the INXS songs than she does the others. Maybe this is her unique of strategy for making it to the finals -- practice the INXS songs more than the Tuesday song so she can build up a history of performing INXS songs well where some of the other contestants will only get one shot to impress INXS. I actually thought hers was the best overall performance of the three, being behind Suzie technically but capturing the spirit of the song the best, but I can understand why INXS thought Suzie was the best of the three.

Brandon, as he showed last week, sounds a lot like Michael at times, if you ignore his mumbling and weird pronunciation. Even though that song was probably the hardest to sing since it had so many words to it it was the best fit for him so it's unfortunate he botched the words. It was also very painful to hear him sing the first verse since he was out of tune on so many of the notes. He sang the chorus and the second verse fine so I'm not sure why he messed up the first verse so badly.

Suzie was the best technically, as usual, but I didn't think she captured the feeling of the original during the first verse -- it didn't have the sultriness of Michael's though you could tell she was trying to do it. Once the chorus kicked in, though, she was excellent. Jessica and Brandon both did a better job vocally than Suzie of capturing the spirit of the originals, I thought. It was amusing watching Suzie jump up on and down near the end of song -- that was a new stage move for her and it looked a bit awkward but I like how she's trying to diversify what she does on stage. I think that's probably why she has ended up in the bottom three three times now even though her vocals have been so strong throughout (except for her first performance). I think a lot of voters just aren't connecting with her stage presence, for whatever reason.

Suzie came out the strongest, vocally in the 3 performance tonight, at least, in the 2nd part of her song. Brandon's style is just not very INXS plus he forgot the words. I also sometimes have trouble with his nasal singing. Jessica got the crowd going more than the other two but she had trouble in parts vocally with the song. I am surprised to see Brandon go. This is the only time that I got it wrong so far but it was close. Jessica was my boot tonight but somehow she manages to avoid the brink of elimination. And considering that that was her 3rd time in the bottom 3, you would think that INXS should have gotten the message (from the public).

I am also surprised to see Suzie in the bottom 3. I thought she had a great performance last night with that REM song. Jordis was weak last night and should have been in the bottom 3 in her stead. Fortunately for Jordis, lots of young fans are voting for her.

So Ty got the encore this time. Could someone list down all the contestants who had been asked to do an encore? I missed a couple already. Has MiG been asked to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by JonasGrumby
    So Ty got the encore this time. Could someone list down all the contestants who had been asked to do an encore? I missed a couple already. Has MiG been asked to do it?
    Nope MiG hasn't been asked yet.

Going by my rather suspect memory: JD, Marty, Jordis and Ty have been asked to do encores.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Based on the elimination performance, Jessica really didn't deserve the boot. While she was performing, I actually stopped what I was doing to watch it and she did a great job. She has consistantly done well with INXS songs. Wednesday's she looks terrified and forced. Thursdays she has a WTF attitude and just does it and does it well. I think they are actually a bit conflicted with her. And if elimination night is actually a chance to redeem yourself, then redeem herself she does. (If they are going to boot her based on post performance comments, then they should boot JD for his antics in the house. They say they are basing it on performance and they seem to be holding true on this.)

Brandon's, I found myself wandering. Brandon could front a country rock band, but no matter what he does, he won't fit in with this one. I think in many ways, he was a easy boot for this performance. He hasn't been stunning in his Wednesday night shows and he hasn't nailed his INXS songs either. They know he won't be right.

Suzie didn't belong in the bottom three. She was one of the best three last night. Her, Marty and Ty all did a great job in different ways. Started out a bit shaky but got into her performance and did well and her voice blows me away at times. It will be interesting to see if anything comes her way after this show, I would buy a few tracks to see how it goes.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    Jessica is only hanging on because she's good with the pop sound. Period. INXS being more of a pop-rock band, her **personality** is more suited for pop. That's why she excels with INXS's songs but not the other, more torchy sounds or grunge rock.

Jessica would be a contender for American Idol if she was a true amateur, but she's not, so she can't win either way.

Her 'personality' huh?

Is that what they call it these days. 20 years ago they called it being a groupie and giving favors to the band. but personality might be a easier way of expressing that, at least in Jessica's case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantine
    I missed the ending but am glad to hear Brandon got the boot, I would have been even happier if it was Jessica but I'll settle for Brandon just for the fact that I don't have to look at his awful hair anymoe! what's with his hair anyway?
    The hair was the biggest issue with me also. It actually looked half way decent last week on the elimination show. He had it sort of slicked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20
    Her 'personality' huh?

Is that what they call it these days. 20 years ago they called it being a groupie and giving favors to the band. but personality might be a easier way of expressing that, at least in Jessica's case.
    Haha. I was going to ask who is Jessica doing to have stuck around this long.
    I think the band is infatuated with Jordis which doesnt hold well for Suzie. as I said earlier I hope this will be a boost for Suzie's career.

I am surprised that Jessica has stuck around this long as well. Get the groupie out of here! Sorry Jess!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

+ Reply to Thread