+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 8/10 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Newbie
    The problem with having everybody do INXS songs is that they are starting to run out of decent ones to play. The only popular ones I can think of so far they havent done are Original Sin, Listen Like Theives and The Gift (although that is kind of pushing it aswell). Unless they delve into more obscure stuff or just start repeating songs.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasGrumby
    I'm surprised that Jordis and Deanna has not seen the bottom 3, more so with Deanna because it looks like that Jordis has many fans and might actually take 3rd place over JD. Who were in the bottom 5 when they announced who was losing right at the end of the show the other night?
    On the West coast the showed the bottom three as:

Jessica
    Brandon
    Deanna

in that order on screen (assuming it matters).

I still think Marty should have been given the encore last night. So I guess they don't ask for encores every week since only Marty, Jordis, JD, and Ty were the only ones asked so far and it has been more than 4 weeks.
    They didn't ask for an encore in Week 2 (episode 102C) though I thought Jordis deserved one for The Reason.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew
    The problem with having everybody do INXS songs is that they are starting to run out of decent ones to play. The only popular ones I can think of so far they havent done are Original Sin, Listen Like Theives and The Gift (although that is kind of pushing it aswell). Unless they delve into more obscure stuff or just start repeating songs.
    They still also haven't done The One Thing, This Time and Shine Like it Does. Except for week one where all the bottom three songs were among their "greatest hits" the pattern has been to do two of their well known ones and one less well known one off one of their last few albums so they can still go three weeks or so before completely running out of songs most of us will recognize from our youths.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by swim4life107
    Ty deserved to be in the bottom 2 the song he sang wasnt even rock..
    Ah, but rock and reggae have enjoyed a symbionic relationship since their earliest days. Both genres have had crossover hits and songs from each other.

And if you have ever heard Bob Marley really get into it on some of the friskier stuff? Not all reggae is slow and melodic like Ty sang the other night.

Personally, I would like to see more diversity of genres on the show. They did the Eagles (Take it Easy) and called it country which I would NOT classify the Eagles as Country. They've done metal, they've done punk, so why not reggae? They're all decendents of Rock. Well except for country. And rock is kind of decended from that and blues and today's country has more rock like roots than C&W. Boy, that's kind of a chicken and egg thing isn't it?
    Which came first country or rock?

But Bob Marley is legend (speaking of which, THAT is a GREAT Marley album) and that performance showed me another side of Ty. I had really discounted him, but hearing him perform No woman No cry, made me stop and re-evaluate him. Maybe it did INXS as well.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasfan
    I also noticed at one point JD turned around to look in the camera while everyone else was turned toward INXS..
    OMG thanks for reminding me of that-- everyone else was all into Brooke telling who was gonna be on the block (or else they were just staring and wondering WTF she was wearing last night) but JD was literally turned around backwards to mug at the camera over their shoulders

He seems like one of those guys whose cute-boy face has let him get away w/ stuff all his life... and it apparently works even through the TV, since a lot of the fan-stuff I see re:JD is more swoony, less "what a great vocal performance!"

FORT Newbie
    RE: Mark Burnett and his "villain". I think J.D. wears his issues like his tatoos which gives the producers plenty to work with. However, Mark Burnetts characters are black and white. J.D's evil and the rest of the house are just flawless, loving humanitarians being victimized by J.D.'s evil strategy. There is no grey. I think there are probably shades of grey on both ends, but if there is any good coming from J.D., we won't see it. The producers def. play into the villain thing with him hence the looks during performances. I've seen not so wonderful looks from the others during anothers praise and some don't even clap after some of the performances. I've also seen J.D. be very supportive of the others, he was the first to rub Ty's shoulder when he was called up for his encore. But the bandwagon won't see either. Mark Burnett is a master at creating bandwagons. Black and White. About the mugging for the camera. I've noticed he's done that the past two shows. He completely turns around when the results are being read, maybe to make himself less nervous. The camera cut to the front and he still had his head turned until she called his name. He did this last week, kept his head turned until the bottom three were called.
    Last edited by Libra40; 08-11-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sun_up
    OMG thanks for reminding me of that-- everyone else was all into Brooke telling who was gonna be on the block (or else they were just staring and wondering WTF she was wearing last night) but JD was literally turned around backwards to mug at the camera over their shoulders

He seems like one of those guys whose cute-boy face has let him get away w/ stuff all his life... and it apparently works even through the TV, since a lot of the fan-stuff I see re:JD is more swoony, less "what a great vocal performance!"
    I wonder if the voters are teenage girls who think JD is cute. I cant believe he wasnt in the bottom three a couple of times.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Libra40
    and some don't even clap after some of the performances. I've also seen J.D. be very supportive of the others, he was the first to rub Ty's shoulder when he was called up for his encore.
    In fact, Jordis (Beloved of Our Band:INXS) is definitely not one for clapping and happy faces after her buddies rock out-- she mostly just sits there & I dunno, zones out the whole time... I once even asked the person I was watching with, "Hey, do you think that girl's kinda drunk?" (Ermember, she was only 22 like last week/something, so she could be living up the ROCKSTAR life while she can! )

And that Ty has DEFINITELY got more than enough cocky-sounding comments on file to make him into quite the preening diva... but frankly, not having the hilarious "villain-footage" to back you up just makes them *Less Funny* to poke at. Whereas poking at JD-- or at the "JD character", if you like-- now that, like Jello, is easy and fun!

In real life this JD's got nothing to worry about: he's young & healthy & photogenic, & he hopefully will re-grow his Hot-Rocker hair (WHY would he shave that?? -just my personal taste). He has certainly enough talent and OBVIOUSLY enough, um, "drive" *cough*DANGEROUS!*cough* to do something with himself even if he gets the boot next week. All of these people are getting great international exposure every week for months, but JD is *lucky* in this group in that MB is giving him a character at all-- not so lucky our girl Deanna-- I know, "Who?"

So yeah, I think it's OK for reality TV viewers to take the villains/sob stories/characters we're handed and go along with the story tellers (i.e. editors I guess ), if only to better take advantage of the easy jokes & funny observations that go like wine & with the footage they give us to support & develop their characters. As with any reality TV "stars", by a season or so after the end of this show I think their successes will have less to do w/ whatever "character" they had & more to do w/ what they did with their 15 min. of fame.

I would give JD more credit if he wouldn't keep saying in his confessionals how his last "good" deed was a manipulation. I'm not saying that he doesn't do good things, isn't supportive, etc. I just have trouble knowing when it is real and when it is faked. And I think his housemates have similar issues. It's not a accident that the reporters got MIG to cough up JD's name. Others would probably have fingered him as well if they hadn't avoided the answer.

JD has talent. He has several parts of the package to be a rock star. But he still has much to learn. It doesn't make him a bad guy.

I remember dispising one of the chicks on Survivor, then in the live reunion Jeff called her on the negative feelings towards her from the masses and she said something that has really stuck with me. These shows tend to be a growing experience, for good and bad. And there is a definate disadvantage doing this "growing" in front of millions of people each week.

I like what JD did with Suzie this week. I do think he is trying a bit more after finding out that some of his housemates had continued issues with him. I do think he is learning little by little about getting along with a large group of people. I hope that his work with Suzie was genuine, it seems like they might have a bit of a bond and I think that will humanize JD a good bit in a good way.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs
    I would give JD more credit if he wouldn't keep saying in his confessionals how his last "good" deed was a manipulation. I'm not saying that he doesn't do good things, isn't supportive, etc. I just have trouble knowing when it is real and when it is faked. And I think his housemates have similar issues. It's not a accident that the reporters got MIG to cough up JD's name. Others would probably have fingered him as well if they hadn't avoided the answer.

JD has talent. He has several parts of the package to be a rock star. But he still has much to learn. It doesn't make him a bad guy.

I remember dispising one of the chicks on Survivor, then in the live reunion Jeff called her on the negative feelings towards her from the masses and she said something that has really stuck with me. These shows tend to be a growing experience, for good and bad. And there is a definate disadvantage doing this "growing" in front of millions of people each week.

I like what JD did with Suzie this week. I do think he is trying a bit more after finding out that some of his housemates had continued issues with him. I do think he is learning little by little about getting along with a large group of people. I hope that his work with Suzie was genuine, it seems like they might have a bit of a bond and I think that will humanize JD a good bit in a good way.

I'm sure this experience isn't easy and blah,blah, blah. Cry me a river.
    I think JD come across as a phony baloney for the most part but I have to qualify this by saying that is what we see every week.
    He saved face, working with Suzie while annoying everyone else it seems. He's better off laying low instead of trying too hard to be Mr nice guy. Its not working, at least for me.
    He shouldnt have to work so hard at trying to be friends with the housemates.

+ Reply to Thread