+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving Rockstar Monday Night to VH1

Attention Canadian Fans!
    A DJ that I know contacted Global and they confirmed that they will continue to air the reality portion of Rockstar (ie. the Monday night shows) on CH, the channel that currently carries the broadcast.
    I don't know, however, if they'll air it on Mondays or switch it to Sundays but at least we know we'll get to see it.
    Cheers!

Mr. Beefy, you sure spend a fair amount of time posting to this show's thread for someone who doesn't seem to care for it. Agree w/some of your points and certainly not w/others.

1. Enough w/the british supposed hard asses. Hells Kitchen is pretty lame.

2. Agree that three nights is tough for anyone w/a life (or w/o a Tivo) to commit to.

3. Judges are subjective. Personally I'm tired of Simon picking on the fragile, untalented early rounders, though sometimes his honesty probably should scare some away.

4. Talent? Give me a break. If you like pop-crap, AI is your show - fine. But these singers on RS:I are professionals and have more experience and talent than any of the past winners of AI.

5. Song selection is definitely a concern. It has cost more than one singer the chance to stay vs. going home. This format of song "choice" is way too chaotic and sometimes the personal feeling they have for each other make them give up the songs they want to do.

6. Touchy subject I'm sure to hardcore INXS fans about them selling out to Burnett or not. That's a tough call. I'm on the fence there, as I really don't believe they can sell huge arenas out. They are just not that relevant anymore unfortunately.

7. You're on the money with respect to a woman winning. Don't really look at it as chauvanistic, as a man shouldn't be able to win a similar contest if a band lost a woman singer. They just can't cover the back catalog of material. Then again some of the men here certainly couldn't either...

So, after all these points I agree w/you roughly half the time. Though I personally like almost everything RS:I has over AI. Specifically the music. AI music makes me want to wretch...

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RushVB
    Mr. Beefy, you sure spend a fair amount of time posting to this show's thread for someone who doesn't seem to care for it.
    Like I stated earlier, I enjoy watching the performances.....period. Unfortunately, I have to put up with all the BS in between.
    I don't watch Monday nights, could care less about these people off the stage. Judging by the poor ratings, not too many others care either.

1. Enough w/the british supposed hard asses. Hells Kitchen is pretty lame.
    Lame or not, Hells Kitchen kicked Rock Star: INXS' ass in the ratings..
    8/1- The finale of "Hell's Kitchen," scored a 5.5/9 to win the 9 p.m. hour. CBS was second, averaging 5.2/9 as "Rock Star: INXS" (3.9/6) couldn't hold its lead-in audience from "Two and a Half Men" (6.5/11)

7/25 - "Two and a Half Men" (6.5/11) did well enough to help overcome the 3.9/6 for "Rock Star: INXS," to give CBS the 9 p.m. hour. FOX's "Hell's Kitchen" had a 4.8/8 for second.

7/18 - CBS stayed in front at 9 p.m. with "Two and a Half Men," 6.3/10, and "Rock Star," 3.9/6, which suffered a steep drop from its lead-in. "Hell's Kitchen" kept FOX in second with a 4.3/7

Perhaps Hells Kitchen airing during the same time as Rock Star wasn't that much of a factor, since the Kitchen fans would probably already be watching from the start at 9:00. Whatever the reason, viewers are changing the channel when Rock Star airs on Monday nights.

3. Judges are subjective. Personally I'm tired of Simon picking on the fragile, untalented early rounders, though sometimes his honesty probably should scare some away.
    That's part of what makes AI so entertaining. Given the fact that they continue to get huge ratings, I'd say that a majority of people would agree with me.

4. Talent? Give me a break. If you like pop-crap, AI is your show - fine. But these singers on RS:I are professionals and have more experience and talent than any of the past winners of AI.
    Neal was talented?????? Wil was a talented professional????? Give ME a break...
    At least half of the 15 finalists in Rock Star wouldn't even make the final 12 on AI.

Don't get me wrong...there are a lot of things I don't like about AI. That said, I think they improved over the seasons as well, in areas such as better song / genre selections, greatly reducing the number of times they have a stupid guest judge, better quality house band, etc. The biggest problem with AI is the voting process (i.e. letting the idiot viewers have 100% control over who gets booted). They could learn a lesson from Rock Star in that department.

The best thing AI did last season was up the age limit. That did help, but to me it is all about the music...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beefy
    Neal was talented?????? Wil was a talented professional????? Give ME a break...
    At least half of the 15 finalists in Rock Star wouldn't even make the final 12 on AI.
    Wil, I grant you, seemed out-of-place among the other 14, but Neal was obviously an experienced performer. And sure, he was talented in his way...his Jagger-clone act just wasn't right for this competition. But the AI audience would have loved him, I have no doubt.

Which half of the 15 finalists do you believe wouldn't make the final 12 on AI? Are you talking about the same final 12 that has included the likes of Nikki, Jasmin, Carmen, Jon Peter Lewis, the redheaded kid whose name I've mercifully forgotten, Scott Savol...the list goes on. The AI finalists who spawned the VFTW website?

Maybe Mark Burnett thought that he would get the AI audience with this show. He obviously got some, but this show is not going to appeal to the younger viewers who have no idea who INXS is and who aren't familiar with the songs the competitors are performing. The genre of music and the age of the performers probably doesn't appeal to the majority of the tween/teen set - can you imagine a 12-year-old frantically text-voting for a vocalist like Deanna, who's 30+ and performing Melissa Etheridge songs? And with the possible exception of JD, there's really no male heart-throb material on this show - and we all know the hunk factor is a huge draw for AI. So basically, what you've got left is a few hard-core rock n' roll fans who are only here for the music. So it's no surprise the show is not drawing big numbers.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

giz
    A-Jane I thought the same thing. AI apparently also draws the granny crowd, the people who voted for John Stephens, long past the point where he or we could bear it. This show appeals to a much slimmer demographic, they can't expect AI numbers. I don't think that means it has failed. Has it captured a reasonable portion of the audience it might expect to? If not, I think it's a failure of PR, not a failure of the show. It's not trying to cure cancer, but it's enjoyable to watch for me. I'm enjoying both the singers and our band INXS. Even Dave, a little. Brooke, not so much. She is pointless, and I can only assume Dave just can't be assed to say "text wireless subscribers over and over again"- and who can blame him?

Help me out here...I'm in BC, in the interior, on Shaw cable...no sign of the Monday night show anywhere! The only channel I got it on was CBS. What is the Canadian channel it's airing on again? And is the channel available everywhere?

I'll be ticked if I don't get the Monday night show anymore.

Sweetpea, it was mentioned upthread that it's going to be shown on CH. I get that channel on my satellite, and it is scheduled for tomorrow at 9 pm (MT). It's not on any of my local channels, though, so I guess if you don't get any eastern timeshifting channels you're out of luck.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Help me out here...I'm in BC, in the interior, on Shaw cable...no sign of the Monday night show anywhere! The only channel I got it on was CBS. What is the Canadian channel it's airing on again? And is the channel available everywhere?

I'll be ticked if I don't get the Monday night show anymore.
    The channel is CH - the only thing I know about it is that it comes out of Hamilton thus Torontonians, like myself, get it.

I agree that many hardcore INXS fans are staying away-how can they possibly replace Michael Hutchence...but, if this show were marketed along the same lines as American Idol, only geared to more mature fans with better taste in music, then I think this show's ratings would go thru the roof! The INXS connection is what is hurting it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast