+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think will win...

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by luvnreality
    But, like Burnett always does, maybe the editing against JD is intended to throw us off track? I've always noticed, on Survivor, the one getting voted off always seems to be the one Burnett has craftily (is that even a word?) led us away from believing is on the chopping block. I dunno.
    Yes, but with shows like Survivor the entire season is filmed before the first episode airs, so they know who the finalists will be and can edit accordingly. With this show, their guess is only slightly better than ours having one weeks worth of footage to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin
    Yes, but with shows like Survivor the entire season is filmed before the first episode airs, so they know who the finalists will be and can edit accordingly. With this show, their guess is only slightly better than ours having one weeks worth of footage to go by.
    Yes, that is TRUE! Okay, then maybe OB has tipped Mark off? Maybe OB has a preference already and that's why the anti-JD show? (I'm just brainstorming here.) Although I've been reading that there's a strong possibility it might be a female.

Again, I have NO clue!
    Got some revelation
    Put into your hands
    Save you from your misery
    Like rain across the land
    Don’t you see
    The colour of deception
    Turning your world around again
    -- A. Farris, M. Hutchence

FORT Fanatic
    At this point I'm betting on Suzie. Her performances are getting better and better, she had a good stylistic range, and she really knows how to perform WITH a band in a way most of the others don't. I love Ty, I think he's the best singer there by a long margin, but I don't see him melding with the band at this point. I think he can make it on his own. Marty...I think there's something missing. Jordis can be wonderful, but she's a solo performer who needs more seasoning. Mig...he's my runner-up. The band likes his style more than I do. JD is a flaming jerk with the least talent of those left, and I bet the band will get rid of him at their first opportunity (tonight, if there is any justice in the world).

Quote Originally Posted by luvnreality
    But, like Burnett always does, maybe the editing against JD is intended to throw us off track? I've always noticed, on Survivor, the one getting voted off always seems to be the one Burnett has craftily (is that even a word?) led us away from believing is on the chopping block. I dunno

Yep. Is that the proper use of and adverb? No friggin' clue.

craft·y Pronunciation Key (krft)
    adj. craft·i·er, craft·i·est

1. Skilled in or marked by underhandedness, deviousness, or deception.
    2. Chiefly British. Skillful; dexterous.

[Middle English, from Old English cræftig, strong, skillful, from cræft, skill.]crafti·ly adv.
    crafti·ness n

FORT Regular
    Well it's that time of week again and it's really hard now to rank the remaining contestants since one slip up could mean the end of any one of them. INXS has also been sending out all sorts of mixed messages so its hard to make an educated guess how they feel about certain things. For example they've said they aren't looking for somebody to impersonate Michael and yet when asked directly in a Web chat if anybody has done it yet they said no, even though this chat was done well after J.D.'s radio performances where he's clearly impersonating Michael. And poor Marty is being told "don't scream, be yourself, don't scream, be yourself" -- I'm not sure how he sleeps at night

At this point I would say MiG is the safest -- i.e. he's the least likely to be eliminated next week. He, like Marty, has never had a really bad performance, he continues to be one of the top vote getters, and his Need You Tonight radio performance was absolutely killer. Before I heard that I, like many of the others here, thought he was the "safe" choice (not stellar in anything but no significant drawbacks either) but now I think he's probably the best of the remaining males at singing INXS songs (and with Ty gone he's definitely the best technically of the guys) and only slightly behind Suzie. And of course it doesn't hurt that he's an Aussie, happily married, and an all-around good guy.

Next safest I would say is Suzie. I actually think her singing is getting worse rather than better (Bohemian Rhapsody was not good and Start Me Up was only so-so for her) but clearly people are responding better to her stage performances now, with Start Me Up being her best stage performance to date, IMO. It probably wouldn't take much for her to end up back in the bottom three but she's proven herself to be best at singing INXS songs and the band clearly has warmed to her over the last few weeks would probably protect her even if she only had a so-so performance (unless for some reason MiG was down there with her) even though she's still the reigning Queen/King of the bottom three now that Ty is gone.

Marty is somewhere in the middle. The band obviously likes him a lot but it's still not clear if he can do INXS songs well except for the handful that fit his morose semi-monotonic singing style. He's the only one left that hasn't done one of the stripped down/acoustic radio performances so we've only heard his Don't Change performance so far. It's also totally confusing which Marty they prefer -- the restrained-Marty or the scary-conductor-psycho-trembling Marty.

J.D. and Jordis are at the greatest risk for elimination next week.

Jordis clearly has a lot of talent but her lack of "seasoning" compared to the others has been showing through since her Layla performance. I love the sound of her voice to death but she and Marty are technically the weakest of the remaining (Marty sounds a little better in general but he doesn't sing with quite the range of Jordis so he doesn't "expose" himself as much) and her performances have been very inconsistent. Her Never Tear Us Apart radio performance was actually quite good, unlike her Mystify performance, but when you compare it to what Suzie, MiG and even J.D. did it's not quite at their level and her Listen Like Thieves performance was inconsistent and had mistakes in it as well. And she gave a horrid answer when asked what she would bring to INXS.

J.D.'s continued "personal" problems can't possibly be doing him any favors with INXS and I was actually kind of surprised he survived the chopping block yesterday. His performances have been good lately but have not been up to his California Dreamin or Hand In My Pocket level. He slacked off his clinic assignment (and tried to shift the blame to INXS, that weasel) and basically mailed in his This Time performance on Wednesday not doing anything special with it at all. He's accumulated so much baggage now that the others don't have (plus all the baggage he brought with him) that it's hard to envision INXS picking him now since the others have proven that they have talent at least equal to his where the first four weeks or so he seemed so much better than most of the others.

After week eight:

MiG (1/1)
    Suzie (2/4)
    Marty (3/3)
    Jordis (4/5)
    J.D.(5/2)

Edit: fixed typos
    Last edited by Trippy; 09-01-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Trippy, agree with your assessment. I think it is between Mig and Susie at this point.

JD and Jordis fans better vote their little hearts out. Neither of them are safe in the bottom three at this point.

And dang, was there anyone besides me who wished Jessica had been singing one of the INXS songs so we could have had a good redition last night. LOL
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AsIs
    And dang, was there anyone besides me who wished Jessica had been singing one of the INXS songs so we could have had a good redition last night. LOL
    Hehe yeah I was thinking that earlier. I definitely liked her INXS songs better than Ty and even Deanna. Unforunately the band mix was so horrid last night (could barely hear the keyboards and the guitars had entirely the wrong sound) I'm not sure even she could've made it sound good.

Premium Member
    I'll place my vote as saying Mig will win, based almost entirely on a spoiler I read previously on this board and still seems to hold true, but cannot track down at the moment. (doh!)

I do not think we'll see a female vocalist for INXS.

Not that I think he will, but I probably wouldn't mind if JD were to win, except for the fact that everytime I see him on stage I keep expecting him to do a Depeche Mode cover, he just looks that much like Dave Gahan to me.

As much as I prefer Marty's vocals over every other contestant, not sure his stage presence would make for the best live INXS vibe, which is too bad, as his performances are the only reason I tune in to the show.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by LKH
    I don't think he's disrespectful, either. But I do think inflexible would be fair. To me, if you want to get a job with an existing group, the goal SHOULD be to show them that you can do whatever they ask you to do, that you are flexible and versatile. There's plenty of time to assert yourself once you have the job, particularly once you've spent some time with them and worked with them enough for them to respect your instincts and skills.
    L
    Well, I don't think it's in Marty's nature to misrepresent himself (ie. lie) just to get the job. He wants INXS to want him as his true self, not some extreme makeover version of Marty. Besides, the band doesn't want any sort of a Michael Hutchence impersonator. They want someone original that they can also collaborate with on an equal footing.

A great deal has been made of the fact that this show is a 3-month long audition process to find a new lead singer for INXS. But it's not just the band checking out singers to see who would fit best. It's also each candidate trying to determine if INXS is right for him or her.

If the two sides can meet in the middle and are comfortable with any compromises each has made, then the collaboration will be successful.

I think Marty is going to win. They are testing him the most with song choices and feedback. I don't want Marty to win....or do I?? I don't like Marty and I don't listen to INXS unless it's on the radio....hmm perfect fit maybe?

I like Mig and Suzie and Jordis and look forward to see what'll happen to them. I'd even buy a CD or two from them. And JD? Oh JD....an interesting fellow....if he makes a kick ass cd then I'll look into buying it....otherwise.. meh.

If Mig wins....oh I hope he doesn't...then I'll probably still won't listen to INXS unless they change to more Mig style....which is unlikely....

+ Reply to Thread