+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think will win...

My P.Fav list:

Jordis - I have liked Jordis since the first show and would love to see her get picked, but I agree with most of you when you say that she may be better suited for a Solo career.

MiG - I didn't like him as much at first but he has grown on me. He has a great stage presence and the crowd seem to respond well to him. I actually think he is quite sexy now...well he is when he sings.

Marty - The band seems to really like him, he has a good voice and he doesn't come across as too cocky. He has also made all the changes the band has asked him without any resistance.

Suzie - She seems very genuine. After last nights performance she has proved that she can really rock out. I like her style and personality but I do not see the band choosing her.

Ty - He is at the end of my favorites list, but he performance last night was AWESOME. If he can pull another couple of those off I think he will be in contention. Overall I find him a little...American Idol at times.

I don't really care too much for the others. JD is such a "keener", one of those guys from school that tried WAY to hard to get everyone to think he is the best, the most talented and want everyone to know that he WANTS IT the MOST. He is SOOO Annoying and I hope he is in the bottom three this week, even if he doesn't get the boot it will do his ego some good to come down a peg or two.
    Brandon, Deanna & Jessica are all pretty good singers, but I don't expect them to make it into the top 5.
    My guess is that Jessica will be sent home tonight.

Hey, M_shelll! to the Fort!

I agree with your thoughts about J.D. (and everyone, really!). His last two performances have been mediocre, in my opinion. I know it's been mentioned before that he's "never been in the bottom three," but actually he has . . . on the very first episode he was put there by the band. I know a lot of people missed that episode.

And to keep the thread on topic. . . . Who do I think will win? Marty.

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    I want Marty to win, but that's how I think it will end up, too. MiG's more flamboyant voice should fit INXS better, but he'll have to demonstrate that eventually.

Ty shouldn't be counted out - he might even beat out Jordis (smiling during "Layla")
    I'm with you, Squatman-- I hope Marty will pull it off - He's my fav. I just can't see Ty in this particular band, though. He has too much of a "boy band" voice, IMHO.
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

I have it narrowed to MiG and Marty. I thought from the beginning, before even hearing any of the women, that a woman wouldn't win - it would create a far different band and I think they're probably of a mind to recapture some of their past glory. I think that both MiG and Marty have great stage presence and ability, but I think MiG has the more INXSy personna.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Regular
    Update after week 5 (see my previous posts for earlier evaluations). The numbers in parens are my ranking this week followed by last week's.

MiG (1/2) - Kind of stuck in a rut at the moment. He's only at #1 cause Jordis slipped a notch.

Jordis (2/1) - Oops, bad performance from her. Voters and INXS still love her though.

Ty (3/4) - Got to do an encore this week. Has shown the most singing versatility as well as being the best technically of the guys. Losing some of his affected theatrical moves as well. At this point he seems to want it more than MiG does so MiG better watch out.

Marty (4/6) - Biggest jump upwards. Excellent performance this week even though he still hasn't shown he has the range, versatility and style needed to sing INXS songs. The revelation that J.D. was in the bottom five this week also boosted him up.

JD (5/3) - Biggest move downwards because of the better performances by Ty and Marty and the voting results -- apparently he's not connecting well with the voters anymore. Going to need to radically shake things up if he's going to win it as he so desparately wants to.

Suzie (6/5) - Still the best vocals technically of the women, continues to take chances by singing a diverse selection of songs, and does INXS songs well. Still struggling to improve her stage image though she's made some progress. Might not be enough time left, though, to improve her stage image enough to move herself up on her own so she's going to need some of the ones ahead of her to stumble or hope INXS keeps protecting her.

Deanna (7/7) - Like some of the others seems to be stuck in a rut at the moment. Even though she hasn't been in the bottom three she did make the bottom five this week so she's going to need to show she can do something other than belt out an up tempo rock tune.

Jessica (8/8) - Does INXS songs well, which can't be discounted, but otherwise she's the weakest.

Quote Originally Posted by swim4life107
    4. Marty- Inxs likes him, hasn't pushed the envelope, only one really good performance, he doesnt make eye contact with the audience(stage fright)
    Wow...Marty is the only one that I would say doesn't even have one drop of stage fright in him. He is the only person that I wouldn't be upset to see win if MiG doesn't.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by swim4life107
    Order of possible winners
    4. Marty- Inxs likes him, hasn't pushed the envelope, only one really good performance, he doesnt make eye contact with the audience(stage fright)
    You might think that if you've only been watching for the past two weeks but go and watch some of his earlier performances like from week two on http://rockstar.msn.com/videos.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Originally Posted by swim4life107
    Order of possible winners
    sorry to pile on, but I'm with them.

Perhaps his lack of eye contact was because he was playing the guitar. Even then, he made eye contact. I think people have gone too far with the crowd interaction stuff. Marty's fun wild/garagey version of What I Like About You had some of that in it. Marty is the most fun out of the entire group by a large margin. He hasn't succumbed to portraying the pretty boy rock God.

And if going acoustic solo isn't "pushing the envelope", then what is? MiGoo is the one who needs to push harder.

All of Marty's performances have been good. The house and judges seem to back that up. He hasn't shown pretty-voice like MiGoo and Tyrone; I assume that is how you are basing your opinion and you'ld be right. Maybe that will ultimately do him in in the band's eyes.

FORT Newbie
    Ty: Best vocals of the males. Closest sounding to MichaelH. Only problem is one keeps expecting him to, any moment, prance about and sing "The HILLS are alive with the sound of music..." in the middle of his performance. He doesn't have that rock angst.

Marty: Good chance of winning. The Lithium performance showed he knows how to pop a crowd--start slow then explode. Sure, the song lends to that, but he definitely took advantage of it. That's a sign of a seasoned performer. He just has to keep the scary, psychotic kill-them-all eyes to a minimum.

Mig: He can win over the females and is charismatic, but can he hit the high notes?

JD: Good stage performer but when he gets out of his vocal range, he sounds terrible. Offstage, has a diva persona. But his stage persona keeps him in the hunt.

Suzie: Cleanest most talented vocals of all the performers. One problem is that she breathes from the microphone a lot. What's with that? Is it glue? But really, she's in the wrong competition. She's a hold-a-note-for-two-minutes-to-impress-them pop singer.

Jordis: Realistically, she's too young for RBN:INXS, but she has the second best vocals of the females and she's more of a rocker than Suzie.

Jessica: She has limited range and her performances are uneven.

Deanna: She's easy on the eyes and has good stage presence, if not a little over the top. Her voice is more husky than a lot of the guys', which may work against her. She's like an edgier (and hotter, but not as talanted) Stevie Nicks. And she's hot. But she won't win. But she's hot.

Ultimately, none of these folks are really a good fit for RBN:INXS. Michael was a male singer who had a feminine voice. All the males here are too masculine with exception of Ty (the HILLS are alive...), and a female lead just isn't right. His replacement should be a man who sings in the higher octaves such as the singer of Fine Young Cannibals, the one who sang that "She Drives Me Crazy" song. Some may argue that the new singer should sound completely different from Michael, but singing the old songs too differently just doesn't sound right. It may sound good, but it doesn't sound right.

Nevertheless, it's still fun to watch.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by SpilltheBeans
    Michael was a male singer who had a feminine voice. All the males here are too masculine with exception of Ty (the HILLS are alive...), and a female lead just isn't right. His replacement should be a man who sings in the higher octaves such as the singer of Fine Young Cannibals, the one who sang that "She Drives Me Crazy" song. Some may argue that the new singer should sound completely different from Michael, but singing the old songs too differently just doesn't sound right. It may sound good, but it doesn't sound right.
    Spill, I think you hit the nail on the head here. Obviously, INXS needs someone to fill in Micheal's shoes and perform the songs the way he did. Sure, they'll have some new tracks later on, but first that person needs to match Michael's range. Michael had a high tenor (like Freddie Mercury and a few others), which helped them hit the high notes effortlessly, which is a tough thing for guys. Among the guys, it doesn't seem like anyone except Ty has the high tenor. Mig, Marty, and JD are serious rockers, but they can't quite match Michael's notes, and we will probably see it in the ballads, accoustics, etc. (I think they should do a capella). Among the gals, Jordis and Suzie have good tenors (listen to Jordis' high notes on the David Bowie song) and Deanna doesn't. And hit me with a club for saying this, but Jessica also has a decent tenor, which is why she does INXS songs pretty well, even if she blows the regular songs. Technically, Ty could be the ideal replacement for Michael, even though his supersized ego could lead to other problems. It seems that his "bottom three" position last week gave him a hard dose of realism and brought him back to planet Earth (from Mars, I guess:-). Not surprisingly, his intensity and passion have kicked up quite a bit.

On a different note, why we are seeing so many Nirvana hits. INXS never does grunge. I suppose this is Dave's influence. I love Nirvana, but I can't see anything common between Lithium and Don't Change. INXS should ask Marty to do Don't Change and JD to do By My side. I'm glad we didn't hear Brandon's version of Elegantly Wasted :-)

+ Reply to Thread