+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think will win...

4 hours is a lot. I'm not going to be critical of you for voting so many times, you have that option as granted by the shows producers. But is that really how you want anyone to win this show? I have to commend INXS for buiding in the ability for them to decide who will win, over a telephone and internet poll.

I will not digress into personal preferences, they are irrelevant. I am basing my opinon on an entierly differnt set of values. JD has an intangable quality that fits the established image of INXS. Fans of INXS, the purchasing public, have a pre-exiting image INXS that is largly responsible for their success. Too radical of a departure from that could permenantly harm the band. From a pratical aspect in the music industry, from a marketing and sales aspect, JD ranks higher in my opinion.

If people feel that my crtisizm of Mig's lack of masculinity is unfair, well,, it is. But this is the real world, not utopia. I would not pay money to see or hear INXS with Mig as the front man. He lacks more than the strong male sexuality needed, he also lacks the vocal talent. I thought his last performance was very good, but just not right for INXS.

(BTW, I am not experienced in placing quotes in my posts, so fogive my netiquette. The avatar is of King Kamehameha, the king who unified the Hawaiian people into one nation. I am on vacation so I have time to post on FORT, but not for much longer. However if Survivor has a good season, I will attempt to play along.)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pono
    I am on vacation so I have time to post on FORT, but not for much longer. However if Survivor has a good season, I will attempt to play along.)
    Try to pop in next Tuesday. We'll have a he said/she said after MiG wins.

No, I think Marty's going to win (for reasons I've explained in other threads).

Have a good night everyone. I'm off to bed.

p.s. I never got into Survivor. You couldn't pay me enough to eat a rat...not even $1 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    BTW, your avatar scares me. What is it? (No, I really do want to know.) It looks interesting...but scary. Probably like how the mustard pants on my avatar scares Sweetpea...
    - you got me there, Lois!

4 hours is a lot. I'm not going to be critical of you for voting so many times, you have that option as granted by the shows producers. But is that really how you want anyone to win this show? I have to commend INXS for buiding in the ability for them to decide who will win, over a telephone and internet poll.
    Well if INXS did want people to vote over and over again for their favorite they wouldn't have this as an option. That is the way I view it.

I think MiG fits in with INXS much more than JD and that is why I think he should win over him.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Regular
    I was firmly planted in the Mig camp right up until I saw/heard him do his first INXS song ("What You Need").
    He seemed like a fish out of water doing that tune.

I think Pono's analysis of the final three and which one is roit for OB is "spot on".

To answer the question posed by this thread, either MiG or JD. As to who should win, that is different.

JD clearly is the best choice for a multitude of reasons. Like it or not, he has a raw sexuality that appeals to a large percentage of women, and indirectly, men. People can nit-pick about his nose or mouth, but Freddy Mercury had similar "flaws". If anything JD's semi non-conformist image is very appropriate for INXS. JD's vocal tone has a crispness and clarity that is unmatched by any of the others. He has a masterful control of his vocal tool. He doesn't pop his "p"s, he doesn't draw breath into the mic. His musical skills beyond singing are superior as well. His writing and arranging abilities are HUGE advantages that have a signature aspect to them. You can hear JD's voice and know without doubt that it is JD. Something that cant be said for the others. That is an extremely critical component for any musical performer. I am stunned by suggestions that Mig is "easier to get along with" than JD, therefore INXS should choose him. Great logic if your looking for a soul mate, not so good if your looking for a person with the proper vocal and performance talent needed to sell CD's. Some feel JD has an attitude problem. What I have seen is defensive reaction from the contestants who are intimidated by him, and redirect their fears as being "his bad attitude". A perfect example was Susie saying JD's criticism - of her criticizing him on the show - hurt HER feelings.
    I've watched the show from the second night, so I have had a long time to look for the above mentioned qualities in JD and no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to find even one. In terms of sexuality, I am the same age as JD and don't see it whatsoever, I actually thought he was in his early 20's because he acts so frat-boy like most of the time.

I also listen to JD and don't think I "know" it's JD, he more than any other singer does not have a distinct sound to my ear. He tends to try to emulate whoever's music he is singing, I think we have yet to hear his "true" voice. The few glimpses we have seen I believe are when he has really crashed and burned.

In terms of his attitude, I am not speaking of what others said about JD, but things he himself said. In most of his confessionals he bragged about his plotting, that was JD being a jerk, not someone calling him a jerk.

Suzie's criticism was very weak-they were trying to get her to say something and all she said was he took longer than anyone else. She did not mention anything about him not practicing like the others were. JD was nasty at that time for no reason. I thought Suzie handled that well, because they were looking for people to bash JD and that was about the nicest thing she could say.

As I have said before, the scripting of this show ala Mark Burnett has really colored people's views of each of the singers. That is why fans are so polarized. Imagine if we didn't have the Sunday/Monday show and only had the performance nights. I think the voting would have been very different all along.

Quote Originally Posted by LKH
    I don't think he's gotten nasty about it, but how many times now have they told him not to scream and he's still screaming?
    L
    I don't recall INXS ever telling him not to scream. They told him to scream less and sing more which is a direction he followed fully.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Maybe you should consider when people who are MiG fans, that are not from Australia like me, see MiG in bottom three we vote for 4 hours to get him out of the bottom three. I know fans of MiG from the US, the UK, the Phillipines, Australia and other places that do that. MiG fans that vote a lot don't have to come from Australia.
    I've heard that Australians have to text vote, no internet voting so they have to pay for their votes. I think MiG fans are (or were up to last week) fewer but more fervent or more likely to vote.

Can anybody tell me how to get the stats from msn downloads? From what I've heard, the download stats show Marty and Jordis in the lead for downloads with JD's Pretty Vegas in the top 2 as well and MiG only having one song in the top 20. MiG's fans vote but they don't buy his music as much. That could be because msn downloads are US only though Canadians and Australians can't buy the songs.

I will not digress into personal preferences, they are irrelevant. I am basing my opinon on an entierly differnt set of values. JD has an intangable quality that fits the established image of INXS. Fans of INXS, the purchasing public, have a pre-exiting image INXS that is largly responsible for their success. Too radical of a departure from that could permenantly harm the band. From a pratical aspect in the music industry, from a marketing and sales aspect, JD ranks higher in my opinion.
    Aren't opinions articulated preferences? The only way to avoid the subjective is to have supportive precedence. Even laws which are dependent on precedence can be changed -- so it generally comes down to be the opinion and preference of the people and culture at the time. Don't mean to be verbose.

My preference is Marty. In my opinion he's the best. I'd like to articulate ALL OVER HIM
    Last edited by Kennedy; 09-16-2005 at 02:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread