+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think will win...

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner
    Betting on who will be the next lead singer of INXS.
    Jordis Unga 7.00

Suzie McNeil 15.00

These are the odds given by a betting site in Auistralia.
    Jordis is ahead of Suzie? That's just wrong.

FORT Fogey
    This show is rock's answer to American Idol - which is, above all else, - a TV show.

I take INXS' and DN's comments as the drama it is intended to be and not an indication of who will win.

I think the person who will win is someone who 1) the band likes/respects personally (regardless of talent, if you don't like the person, you can't work with them), 2) has a style that best matcheds the current and/or desired style of the band, and 3) has the best voice.

Who knows for sure, but I think Marty fits the bill the best in all 3 areas. Mig is a close 2nd. If JD weren't so off balance as a person, I'd put him at the top. Suzy is too rock and roll and Jordis is too alternative.

Reality junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner

Appears to be dead - the Entertainment section no longer has any Rock Star stuff.

FORT Regular
    In spite of the late surge by JD and Marty, I still think MIG is a lock to win this thing.
    To me, he really stands out as the "safest" choice for OB, not necessarily the most talented.

1. He has been the most consistent performer week in and week out since the beginnning of the competition.

2. He has the charisma and sex appeal to bridge the generation gap between a bunch of middle-aged, has-been rockers and a younger music buying fan base. The others do also, but they also seem to have a greater propensity to rub people the wrong way (especially JD). In other words, I see Marty & JD as more of a love-'em-or-hate-'em type of guy with a darker, "bad boy" persona, while MIG is more universally likable, "clean-cut" type of guy.

3. He would be the easiest for OB to get along with. JD and Marty may write better songs, but they come across as having more potential to be too controlling / confrontational. MIG has demonstrated just enough talent for writing and arrangements that he can contribute to the band, without stepping on the toes of the other band members.
    Look at the three remaining guys, and think about which one of them would be the least likely to butt heads with OB. It's a no-brainer.

4. He is Austrailian. (certainly not the most important factor, but it does give him a slight edge if everything else is equal).

Kind of left Suzie out of this. Love her, but I can't see her fronting OB. She deserves to be in the final 4, but to me she just doesn't seem to be in quite the same league as the other three.
    Last edited by Mr Beefy; 09-14-2005 at 08:51 AM.

After the 9/13 show, I thought JD showed he was a "rock star performer" vs. the others. His interactions with the crowd, especially, between songs was something I could see occurring at a rock concert. He's got a great "rock" voice, that steamy and kinda dark sexuality, and a talent for musical arrangements...wasn't he the first of all of the contestents to rearrange a song back in the first few shows? Also, OBINXS likes his "Pretty Vegas" and could be thinking - easy single to release that is recognizable from the show to kick start the band again. Plus, he's easy on the eyes, which would bring the young ladies in as a new fan base. No offense to the current OBINXS but no 14 year old girl is going to scream for Kurt and his pencil-thin mustache. :-)

Full disclosure: Until last night, I thought Mig was a sure thing but after the interview segment where he discussed his Broadway experience, that's *all* I could think of during his happy and cheerful "Paint it Black" song. Dude, this isn't "Rent." He's got a great stage presence and voice and unique look, but his talents are probably better applied to the Broadway stage or more "pop" stuff.

Just my $.02...
    Nothing is as terrible to see as ignorance in action. (Goethe)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redney
    Full disclosure: Until last night, I thought Mig was a sure thing but after the interview segment where he discussed his Broadway experience, that's *all* I could think of during his happy and cheerful "Paint it Black" song. Dude, this isn't "Rent." He's got a great stage presence and voice and unique look, but his talents are probably better applied to the Broadway stage or more "pop" stuff.

I couldn't help wondering if he was just talking about various theater productions he'd done in the past and the show people edited it so that it was one theater production after another to make him seem really lame. Just like when Suzie was being interviewed, it looked like they edited a bunch of her "ughs" to make it sound like one big duh "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

I want MiG to win but I think Marty is going to. I like Marty so I'm happy with that.

Regardless of who wins, I think it's a one-year shot. Then INXS will hire someone else. And these guys will hopefully have their careers launched. But then again, they could be old news...

I remember watching a few episides of that "Fame" reality show (the one with Debbie Allen hosting the search for a "triple threat"). The guy that won--I forgot his name already. And has he been heard from ever again? I don't think so.... (Not in the mainstream anyhow...)

FORT Regular
    After watching last night's show, I have to re-think my previous statements that MIG is a lock to win this thing.
    I was not liking him at all last night when he did "What You Need". He sounded a little too "squeaky" / high pitched for that song.

I'm now thinking OB may be leaning towards JD, now that he seems to have straightened out his "attitude". His "Pretty Vegas" song definitely has an INXS-type feel to it, while Marty's song sounds like something I heard 40 years ago on Romper Room.

[QUOTE=Lois Lane]I couldn't help wondering if he was just talking about various theater productions he'd done in the past and the show people edited it so that it was one theater production after another to make him seem really lame. Just like when Suzie was being interviewed, it looked like they edited a bunch of her "ughs" to make it sound like one big duh "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

I agree that it was edited badly. If you go to the show's website, read MiG's blog concerning the interview and he addresses confronting the band's concerns about his theater work-it sounds to me like there was a lot more to the conversation than we were shown. I do have to also agree that his version of "Paint it Black" was not the best, but I love him anyway!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beefy
    I'm now thinking OB may be leaning towards JD, now that he seems to have straightened out his "attitude". His "Pretty Vegas" song definitely has an INXS-type feel to it, while Marty's song sounds like something I heard 40 years ago on Romper Room.
    It has an INXS feel cause THEY WROTE THE MUSIC....it's not a total original song like Trees. Don't get me wrong, I don't get what many of you get in Trees but allowing JD to call Pretty Vegas his own isn't right.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeckett
    ...allowing JD to call Pretty Vegas his own isn't right.
    I have heard just about everybody (i.e. OB, Dave, Brooke) on the show except JD call Pretty Vegas his own.
    Not that it really matters anyway, he still did a tremendous job with it.

When was it said / shown that OB wrote the music?
    Probably on one of those stupid Sunday "house" shows I haven't watched since the first week.

If a lame song like "Trees" is the best that Marty can come up with, then OB isn't missing out on anything by not choosing him anyway.

+ Reply to Thread