+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Star: INXS 7/13/05 Recap - Imitate, Deliberate, Eliminate

Rock Star: INXS 7/13/05 Recap - Imitate, Deliberate, Eliminate

7/13/05 Recap - Imitate, Deliberate, Eliminate

Welcome back to Rock Star: INXS!

I'm not Mantenna, and I hope you won't hold it against me. After reading Manny's fantastic recaps of the first two episodes (which you can read here and here) I'm afraid I've got a little case of performance anxiety. But now that I've wasted the last three hours and seven cans of Aqua Net constructing the perfect mohawk, I'm ready to let it all hang out. Who wants to party?!

Brooke Burke welcomes the audience and gives the rundown on how tonight will play out: Those who received the fewest votes from last nights' performances must perform again tonight, and one will be selected to go home. Pssst! Pay attention, because that's the format for Wednesday episodes from here on out.

There is footage of INXS playing a show to an audience of 100,000 screaming fans. Tim Fariss, sounding like he is reading a cue card, says that performing to that kind of audience is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Dave Navarro says that playing in a crowd like that is the difference between being a pop singer and being a Rock Star. *insert rock star hand gesture here*

I just want to take a moment here and make it known that I was a huge fan of INXS back in the day and I was quite appalled when I heard the concept for this show a few months ago. Quite honestly, I'm surprised I'm even watching! Michael Hutchence was a great talent (and so, so sexy,) and it is hard for me to imagine anyone replacing him. I'll admit it: I am enjoying the show thus far, and I appreciate the fact that it lacks the cheese-factor of American Idol. I also like that there are females vying for the position; it makes me hopeful that the INXS comeback will be based on original music and will not be reliant on someone doing an impersonation of Michael. OK, I'm done now. Thanks for listening.

Not At All Like Mama Cass Used To Do It
    Apropos of nothing, JD is called onto center stage, and then asked why he thinks he is up there. Put on the spot, JD says he must have recieved the least amount of votes. But tricky-tricky, Tim tells him that at this point, they have no idea what the results are. They loved his arrangement and performance last night, and now want to see an encore. A relieved JD reprises his version of "California Dreamin'", and does just as well as he did last night, even if it was not very energetic initially. Proving again that he can take direction well, JD works in some interaction with the band. He lets out with a rocker howl/screech and then jumps up and lands on his knees (ouch!) as his finale.

Kick Out the Jams
    Brooke returns to reveal the three singers who received the least amount of votes, and they are (in no particular order):

Will, Tara and Suzie

Dave Navarro says he is surprised to see Suzie up there, but concedes that it is what the public wanted and that you have to listen to the fans. Tim adds that you simply have to listen to what the fans want, because they buy the records and the concert tickets, and without them, there is nothing. *crickets chirping* It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Captain Obvious!

And now is the moment of truth; did these three simply have a bad night, or do they just not have what it takes to be a rock star? To defend their worthiness, each will perform an INXS song (noooooooooooo!), as selected by the band, then INXS will make the final decision and send one of them home.

Tara is up first. Since she sang such a country-fied song last night, they now want to see her rock, and have chosen "New Sensation" for her shot at redemption. She gives a decent performance, but in my opinion she still sounds too country, with some hoarse rocker yells thrown in for good measure.

Will is up next. INXS feels he spends too much time singing to the camera and wants to see him work the room with "Need You Tonight." But wait! Is this guy deaf? He starts singing, again focusing only on the first three rows of the audience. He's so boring he's making my mohawk droop, and he's ruining one of my favorite songs of all time. The ladies in the audience seem to love him, though, and several times he is almost drowned out by the sound of their screams.

Last, but by no means least, is Suzie. It's still only week one, and this marks her second time being up for elimination. INXS wants to see some emotion and power from her, and have chosen "Never Tear Us Apart" for her to work with. She starts out a little shaky and off-pitch, but really pulls it out in the end and is undoubtably the strongest of the three.

(Don't) Need You Tonight
    With the performances over, Dave leaves INXS alone to make their decision. After a short huddle, they are ready to reveal their choice:

Tara- It's great to see you can rock, but we're just not sure it's enough.
    Will- You sang great but your performance has still not improved.
    Suzie- You nailed it! Go sit down; you are not going home.

Final decision: "Will. You are just not right for our band, INXS." ...said Captain Obvious.

Satan Dave takes a moment to tell Will that even though he is not right for INXS, it doesn't mean he doesn't have great talent, and congratulates him for making it this far.

Will is a gracious loser, thanking everyone for the opportunity, wishing INXS great success with their comeback, and commending the remaining contestants as fantastic talents. Damn, who's gonna make sweet sweet love to the camera now?

We'll see you Monday night for a behind-the-scenes look at Rock Star: INXS. There are thirteen performers left. What songs will they select? What will Suzie and Tara do to up their game? And will I ever get all this hairspray out?

Until then, rock and roll all night and party every day! totoro@fansofrealitytv.com
    Last edited by totoro; 07-14-2005 at 04:34 AM.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Totoro, fastest recapper in the west! Magnificent job, my friend. You and your mohawk have produced a tremendously enjoyable read!

Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    I've wasted the last three hours and seven cans of Aqua Net constructing the perfect mohawk, I'm ready to let it all hang out.

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Captain Obvious!

He's so boring he's making my mohawk droop

Damn, who's gonna make sweet sweet love to the camera now?

But now that I've wasted the last three hours and seven cans of Aqua Net constructing the perfect mohawk, I'm ready to let it all hang out. Who wants to party?!
    Me! Me! Me! Wonderful job, Totoro!

I share your ambivalence about the search for Michael Hutchence's replacement - it's not possible. And yet, I've thoroughly enjoyed the show so far. Thanks for your lightning fast recap!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Nice job totoro! I don't know about you crazy kids staying up all night doing these recaps.
    Keep this away from your Aqua Net.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    My first time watching it last night, with a lot of trepidation (I might add) because INXS was such a fantastic band with gorgeous FABULOUS Michael Hutchence and I couldn't bear to hear their songs being hacked to pieces. Suzie did a good job on Never Tear Us Apart. In fact, after the show, I pulled out my Kick album (bought way before CDs were de rigeur) and with it turned up full blast (scratchy sounds and all coming off the record player) I grabbed my hairbrush and shimmied and sang my little heart out alongside dreamy Michael H.

Thanks for the recap! Good job!
    It's a fair cop guv - you got me bang to rights and no mistake!

I just want to take a moment here and make it known that I was a huge fan of INXS back in the day and I was quite appalled when I heard the concept for this show a few months ago. Quite honestly, I'm surprised I'm even watching! Michael Hutchence was a great talent (and so, so sexy,) and it is hard for me to imagine anyone replacing him. I'll admit it: I am enjoying the show thus far, and I appreciate the fact that it lacks the cheese-factor of American Idol. I also like that there are females vying for the position; it makes me hopeful that the INXS comeback will be based on original music and will not be reliant on someone doing an impersonation of Michael. OK, I'm done now. Thanks for listening.
    You nailed it!

Fantastic recap totoro!!

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Damn, who's gonna make sweet sweet love to the camera now?
    Great debut recap totoro!
    Could does not mean should

Totoro, great job filling in for Manny!
    Satan Dave takes a moment to tell Will that even though he is not right for INXS, it doesn't mean he doesn't have great talent, and congratulates him for making it this far.
    Dave DOES look like Satan, huh!
    kitty-cats rule!

*crickets chirping* It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Captain Obvious!

He's so boring he's making my mohawk droop
    You rock, Totoro! Great job!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Totoro - the wonders of sound editing can be blamed for all the girls screaming for Wil.

When I was there only the girls he sang to screamed and the rest of us stood there silently. Of course when I watched on TV it sounded like all the girls were mad for him.

It is not the case, so rest easy.

Great recap
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast