+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The House Band

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    They are truly spectacular! Wonder if they will tour with INXS as their opening band. That would be totally awesome, especially, if it was fronted by the runner-up.
    That's a brilliant idea! I wonder if they are into touring or are more studio musicians.

Forget about the new INXS, can I buy these guys' album when it comes out?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fan
    Rafael kicks ass! He could be a lead guitarist for any rock group. Plus he plays soccer too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde
    Rafael kicks ass! He could be a lead guitarist for any rock group. Plus he plays soccer too!!!
    If figure when JD leaves, I'll only have Rafael to look forward to.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat
    You are a hormone with legs!

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat
    I'm with you, hormone... I mean... Purrple Rafael is HAWT!! What's not to love???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LiteWeightLiz
    I'm with you, hormone... I mean... Purrple Rafael is HAWT!! What's not to love???

And I heard he can play guitar fairly well too.....
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Consensus is in: The House Band Rocks

PASADENA, Calif. -- It'll take weeks before the winner of CBS' "Rock Star: Supernova" is revealed, but one thing is for sure right now: The house band rocks.

As part of the Television Critics Association press tour here, writers were taken to a "Rock Star" taping on Sunday at CBS' studio complex in Los Angeles. There, the remaining "Rock Star" singers strutted and preened before Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Jason Newsted (Metallica) and Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses), hoping to become lead singer of the grizzled rockers' new made-for-TV band, Supernova.

More impressive than the antics of Lukas Rossi or Dilana Robichaux (two of "Rock Star's" leading contenders) was the precision and power of the house band's playing. Their taut, mesmerizing version of Stone Temple Pilot's "Plush" was, to these ears, better than the original.

Finding musicians who could play with both passion and professionalism was the goal of the show's producers, according to "Rock Star's" music producer Clyde Lieberman, who helped pick the members of the band for the first season, which is still intact.

"They had to be able to play anything, anytime under any circumstances," Lieberman said after the taping.

"We had to be able to wake them up at 3 in the morning and say, `Play `Jumpin' Jack Flash' in the key of F' and they had to be able to do it."

Still, "the last thing we wanted" was studio musicians or professionals who lacked conviction, Lieberman said.

"I went to music school myself. You meet a lot of people in music school who can play anything but they have no conviction in how they play," he said.

The fact is, though, when the future members of Supernova say, "Dude, that rocked" (and that happened a lot on Sunday), they're praising the contestants, but their compliments are also a credit to the band.

Even the best singers' performances would seem weaker in many cases if the band weren't so undeniably talented.

The house band makes moderately talented singers sound great and makes good singers, well, rawk. And that's the goal, Lieberman said.

"You have to walk out of here and think that was a real music show, that wasn't a TV show," he said.

The band members themselves are an eclectic crew. Paul Mirkovich, the keyboard player and musical director, was the music director of road bands for everyone from Cher to Janet Jackson to Anastasia. Mirkovich is in charge of not only helping the "Rock Star" contestants arrange songs to their liking, but also he cuts down the tunes the band plays from their usual length to about 98 seconds per song.

Powerhouse drummer Nate Morton has played with everyone from Chaka Khan to Vanessa Carlton, while rhythm guitarist Jim McGorman, formerly of the New Radicals, played in Michelle Branch's band.

The band has an international flavor as well: Bassist Sasha Krivtsov was in one of Russia's most popular hard-rock bands and played on James Blunt's record and with Vanessa Carlton's and Billy Idol's bands, while guitarist Rafael Moreira left Brazil to attend music school in the U.S. and played in Pink's band.

The band does enjoy jamming on its own. Before a recent taping, Lieberman said, the audience "went nuts" when the guys played Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" with Mirkovich on vocals (you won't hear that song on the show because of licensing issues).

Link

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet View Post
    Finding musicians who could play with both passion and professionalism was the goal of the show's producers, according to "Rock Star's" music producer Clyde Lieberman, who helped pick the members of the band for the first season, which is still intact.
    Now if they could just find a headliner band one could say this about…

It seems farcical that these guys in all their brilliance are relegated to silent backup to the buffoons running the audition.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    These guys continue to impress me to elevated levels.... Here's my vote for next season:

Rockstar: HOUSE BAND!!
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast