+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock Star: INXS 7/11/05 Recap – How to Become a Superstar in Three Months!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayven
    ... but the performances I liked were the ones where the singers didn't try to become the artists they were covering -- I liked MiG's version of 'Teenage Spirit.' Yeah, he sang it differently than Cobain did. Go him! He wasn't trying to be Kurt Cobain, he was trying to be MiG. I was very annoyed that he got panned for that. I liked Daphna's version of 'One Way or Another.' I loved Heather's 'Burning Down the House.' All put their own stamp on their songs instead of just trying to be a CD player for someone else's voice.
    I agree about performers making a song "thier own". I really liked Daphna and Heather for that reason. However, I didn't think Mig was trying to make it his own. To me it sounded like he was singing it like the original, but with a worse voice. I'm really curious to see what happens with the Nirvana song (Heart Shaped Box) that was one of the 14 that they had to 'fight' over.

I wonder if the perception has anything to do with our personal ties to these songs. I know I have a much stronger association to 'Smells like Teen Spirit' than I do to either 'One Way or Another' or 'Burning Down the House'. Just a thought...

Heather, aged 27, hails from Atlanta, Georgia and works as a musician/bartender/nanny. Clearly a free spirit as further evidenced by her plenteous tattoos and bohemian style.
    Now Heather is up, who chooses to perform the Talking Heads’ “Burning Down the House.” Drummer Jon Farriss likes her style, noting that she’s “funky” and “her own person.”
    Great recap Manny. But what the hey??? those women named Heather really freak me out!
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Just a friendly reminder of one of our rules:
    10) Our recaps are written by our wonderful writers (whose names appear in blue). It is impolite to use the recap threads to discuss the show - use the Show Discussion thread. The recap threads should be about the recap. Thank them for their hard work each week, since that's the only payment they receive.

Just for the occasion, I’ve dyed my hair pink, slipped into some leather pants, and inexplicably smashed an expensive guitar to bits. Why, you ask? Because I love rock and roll. Yeow! (This is why we’re not a webcam site, folks.)
    Oh, the picture!
    Fabulous recap, Manny!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Just for the occasion, I’ve dyed my hair pink, slipped into some leather pants, and inexplicably smashed an expensive guitar to bits. Why, you ask? Because I love rock and roll. Yeow! (This is why we’re not a webcam site, folks.)

And hallelujah—they’re not all spouting cheesy, scripted lines while one of them drunkenly flails about.

YOU ROCK, Manny! Great recap.

Great recap, Mantenna! To quote one of the AI judges (ducks from tomatoes), I was entertained!

Just for the occasion, I’ve dyed my hair pink, slipped into some leather pants, and inexplicably smashed an expensive guitar to bits. Why, you ask? Because I love rock and roll.

As they peer in the door, we see the guitar-wielding special guest is . . . Satan!

Panic in the streets of London!

Neal remarks backstage that when he hits the stage it’s “sex and rock.” What, no drugs?

Everyone takes a bow as the audience gives everyone a standing ovation. Never mind that they’ve been standing the whole time.

Can’t get those guitar riffs out of your head, either?
    Excellent, hilarious recap, my friend! I, too, am holding up a lighter in my worshipping hand.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    But wait! Is that . . . music coming from the mansion? Brooke informs the contestants that it’s INXS, themselves, jamming, but there is a special guest inside who will be very helpful to them. As they peer in the door, we see the guitar-wielding special guest is . . . Satan!

MiG, 36 years old and originally from Sydney, Australia, now works as a musician in London. Heh—and all this time you thought Ziggy Stardust wasn’t a real person. . . .

LOVE IT!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Manny, you are a rockstar! Great show to go along with a great recap. I'm going to love this show!

“Ooooh, incredible!” sighs one of the ladies. With that, hostess Brooke Burke enters the scene. “Ooooh, incredible!” sigh the guys.

As they peer in the door, we see the guitar-wielding special guest is . . . Satan!

“If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, I’m your guy to come to.” says Dave. Well, I’m sure parents everywhere are resting much easier now.

Heh—and all this time you thought Ziggy Stardust wasn’t a real person. . . .

Neal remarks backstage that when he hits the stage it’s “sex and rock.” What, no drugs?

Deanna sounds okay; a little off-pitch in places, but she shocks everyone when she breaks out into some sort of demonic howl midway through the song.

Jessica follows with a performance of Hole’s “Celebrity Skin.” Coincidence? I think not.

I think the moody drifter here might be high on something other than adrenaline, but that’s just me.

Here We Are Now, Entertain Us

“There are some lines you don’t cross,” he says. Hmm, such as pulling someone’s hair?

INXS Doesn’t Want Me for a Sunbeam

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12