+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Ty

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    If that was true, why have they had Terence Trent D'Arby fronting them? The band apparently does not have an issue with skin colour.
    I don't think it's the band--I think it's the tv audience. Or at least some part of it. Go to Ty's blog and see the abuse that's appeared there. It's disgusting.

Boxhill..Where can I go to see Ty's blog?

princessKIM:
    go to www.rockstar.msn.com and click on 'blogs and boards' and you will find Ty's blogs . . . and the correspondening yucky posts.
    it's really perennialprincess, there just wasn't enough space to fit it all in!

Thank you so much Prince. I didn't know about this site.I can watch all the past performances. Now I can watch my Marty Casey 24/7

How supremely arrogant to think that the only reason for his elimination was because of his colour. For God's sake, he's not THAT great of a singer...when he performed the Living Colour song early on in the competition, my first thought was that he was nowhere near as great a vocalist as Corey Glover.

I don't think it's the band--I think it's the tv audience. Or at least some part of it. Go to Ty's blog and see the abuse that's appeared there. It's disgusting.
    I'm the last person to condone slurs about someone's race and/or sexual orientation, but I imagine that a lot of that crap doesn't come from this show's fans. There are, unfortunately, lots of people who are so virulently homophobic and/or racist they take any opportunity to air their views, especially if they know they'll be widely read and circulated.

I don't hold with the bogus argument that because this is a rock n'roll competition there's someone more concern with race than, say, AI. Are non-white performers under-represented in rock n'roll? Sure, I guess they are, but so are women...yet somehow Suzie and Jordis manage to garner lots of votes (and isn't Jordis bi-racial - gee, how does she manage to get any votes??? Go figure.)

I was never a Ty fan. I saw nothing special about his voice, his performing skills or that ridiculous Mohawk. And I bet he did nothing to help advance his career with his petty little departure speech.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

giz
    Well, I tend to live in my own little bubble in which people are not racist or homophobic or anti-semetic etc. As I've said before I only voted for Ty once, because I only felt the performance was genuine once (or he did!). But, and this is a fairly big but, I can't put myself in the shoes of someone from a visible minority. It has got to be a huge burden to have to even consider that. There is prejudice, it is alive and well (look at the response to Katrina), and while I don't think it counted toward his being in the bottom 3, he felt it. Probably would have best for him to keep it to himself though, as it is perceived as being a sore loser. Sometimes you've got to get these things off your chest I guess.

giz, you are pretty circumspective and I say kudos for that. And yes, Ty probably did feel the need to get it off his chest, so I hope he feels some relief from it. But I am hoping that the remaining contestants will spend some time each week formulating their goodbye speeches and can hopefully express themselves in a more constructive--rather than accusatory--manner.

Last week's Rockstar shows sucked, from beginning to end, and I hope the new week will bring a new attitude.

Last week sucked in real life too. The hurricane has changed so much, for so many. A rescue effort for something of this magnitude is so incredibly difficult to coordinate that in NO WAY do I believe the rescue effort is at all race-prejudiced.

People's attitudes, and their actions, all seem so foreign to me. I hope the death projections (thousands of people dead in their attics) are drastically wrong. There is a chance I will be going to N.O. to help w/ the rescue & repair efforts as part of my job. I'm on standby. As Ty is responsible for his life path, I also believe that the hurricane victims are responsible for their own lives, so I believe the federal government has ZERO responsibility to rescue people who were issued a mandatory evacuation. The feds CANNOT be responsible for peoples' risk-taking. I've heard on the news that some people were unable to evacuate, but that makes no sense to me. Perhaps things will make more sense to me once I see it first-hand. I hope the local and state leaders will take a stronger leadership role and set a good (non-blaming) example for all the sufferers, so they will all come out of this disaster with the knowledge that they themselves can overcome even the worst of trials. Nothing is more empowering than that knowlege. I know firsthand.

Please everybody, keep your prayers coming, and keep your donations coming. Pray for WISDOM for all of us involved. We are at only the beginning...

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    As Ty is responsible for his life path, I also believe that the hurricane victims are responsible for their own lives, so I believe the federal government has ZERO responsibility to rescue people who were issued a mandatory evacuation. The feds CANNOT be responsible for peoples' risk-taking. I've heard on the news that some people were unable to evacuate, but that makes no sense to me.

Fireflyer, the problem isn't that people wouldn't evacuate. The problem is some of them couldn't. The area hit was one of the poorest in New Orleans, where only 1 in 6 households have a car, so they couldn't just drive away. It was also the end of the month where many of the people had no more money left from their pay checks/aid checks to buy gasoline/bus tickets/airplane tickets etc.

This thread has gone off course a little bit ... so let me touch a bit about Ty. He wasn't my favorite performer (though I loved his version of "Maggie Mae" and "No Woman No Cry"), but I can understand his feelings and I am personally glad he said what he did. Did he sound like a bitter loser? Yes. But at least he didn't come across as a robot giving the same prepared speech -- it was a great opportunity, thanks for letting me try out for the band, bla bla bla. He said what was on his mind--right or wrong.

The race card sometimes is used in ridiculous manners. All I know is I'm very happy not to be a black man in America because I've seen what my friends are faced with just for being a certain color. I think I have an easier time in life not having to deal with the prejudices against them where the cards ARE stacked against them.

I liked the sentiment of your message though and send kudos your way for going to help the hurricane victims. All I've done is donate money.

As for Ty, I think his forte is theater and hope he carves out a marvelous niche for himself on Broadway. Go Ty!

A.J, Nicole, Renee, Jenah ILikeThat's Avatar

Re: Ty

I loved Ty's personality, but as a musician - no. Hope he's Okay.
    Whitney won!!!

+ Reply to Thread