+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: MiG

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    I'm a bit confused by his statement that I bolded above. He did sing the song requested by the public, which was "Hard To Handle". Perhaps he just meant that "Home In Me" wasn't the right type of song to perform as his original.
    I am pretty sure he means what you are saying.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Mig Updates...

Courtesy of Team Mig -- for all MiG fans to enjoy.

MiG is apparentley in the final stages of negotiating his contract with Universal Music Group. Here is their website for the curious: http://www.universalmusic.com/overview.aspx

He did sing the national anthem for a Houston Rockets game and at the request of the events coordinators sang two INXS songs, before doing a meet and greet for his fans there.

Upcoming appearances:

1. MiG will be in the Philippines Nov. 14th- 19th for a music industry convention. Business only.

2. November 19th-Key Club, LA, Presenter at the New Music Weekly Awards.

3. December 1, MTV World Aids Day Concert in Manilla, Philippines...performing!!!

4. December 2, NU107 Rock Awards, Philippines... Presenter!!!

If you would like to see more pics and stuff like that head on over there.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    [B]Courtesy of Team Mig -- for all MiG fans to enjoy.

Thanks for the update, JLuvs. Damn...makes me wish I was in the Phillipines! In case I don't get to this board next week, have a happy Thanksgiving everyone ...

FORT Fogey
    MiG's surprise gig

First posted 10:14pm (Mla time) Nov 17, 2005
    By Pocholo Concepcion
    Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on Page A4-1 of the November 18, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

TUESDAY NIGHT, Conway's Bar in Makati Shangri-La is abuzz with unusual activity. As reporters and cameramen survey the scene by the entrance, detectives are overheard speaking on their radios, "He's still upstairs."

Inside the bar, the typical hotel lounge crowd swells as groups of families with grandmothers hurry up to find their seats. Suddenly, loud cheers and applause signal the arrival of the Shang's celebrated guest, booked temporarily since Monday and apparently out of his room to bond with relatives and jam with the house band.

MiG Ayesa, casually dressed in a denim blue shirt and impossibly tight jeans, has been described as probably the nicest rock star around. Some say he is in fact too nice--a trait quite rare especially in rock 'n' roll. But as MiG flashes his by now familiar wide smile, one feels the sincerity that goes with the hand salutes and nods of appreciation.

Bright side

The diminutive but well-built dude, born in the Philippines and raised in Australia, has caught the imagination of many local music fans who followed and supported his heroic stand as competitor in the recently concluded "Rock Star: INXS" reality TV search for a frontman to replace the late Michael Hutchence.

Somehow, it's a good thing MiG placed third, because INXS' loss is now his own gain as far as a career in music is concerned. He's got a record deal in Universal Records USA. In all probability, the local executives of Sony BMG, Warner and the rest must be raring to strike their own deals with MiG.

Is MiG fever about to run high?

Onstage at Conway's, it's so obvious that MiG is bound to be hot property. A few seconds of conferring with the house band he hasn't met until now is enough for MiG to warm up his audience with a cover of the Black Crowes' "Too Hot To Handle."

The house band itself appears to be having a ball, the guitarist exhibiting his flair with smokin' lead lines.

For the second number, MiG walks over to the keyboards and plays the intro to Peter Frampton's "Baby, I Love Your Way"--a song he did on "Rock Star" and with which Frampton himself was reportedly very much impressed. MiG improvises and hits the lyrics' end phrases with high notes that seem to be one of his trademarks.

Two songs are all he can do, thank you, but of course the people won't let him go. Whispering to the house band, MiG proceeds to center stage and says it's time to get a little funky.

The word funky is crucial, because MiG Ayesa has described himself in earlier interviews as someone partial to soulful, funky music.

The ultimate test of MiG's artistry should come when he records his own songs, but for now he's doing fine as the Conway's crowd gets up and dances to his lusty rendition of classic Wild Cherry: "I was a boogie singerplayin' in a rock 'n' roll baaand"

The music over, MiG the bad-ass rocker turns nice boy one more as he joins relatives and kisses them one after the other. An aunt, lawyer and once-upon-a-time dzRJ deejay Katrina Legarda echoes what the matriarch Charito Legarda, MiG's lola from his mother's side, said earlier: "We're all proud of him."

(MiG flies back tomorrow to Los Angeles, California, where he is currently based, after performing at the Ad Congress in Cebu.

He will be back for the MTV Music Summit for HIV/AIDS concert on Dec. 1 at the Fort Bonifacio Global City.)

Pocholo Concepcion is a contributor to the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Thanks Remus! Wish I had been there!

http://www.myspace.com/miguelayesa

Four MiG songs to listen too.

-Bono

OK, for sentimental reasons, I had to just mention... I still miss MiG from the first season!

I'm sorry...but watching this season's cast makes me miss MiG and Marty (and even JD and "Sweet" Suzie McNeil all the more)! It just seems like last season had better singers.

And I miss INXS. It was nice seeing judges who weren't drunk and asking about panties!

Yeah, there were several performers last time around who I enjoyed from day one - Mig, Marty, Jordis, mohawk-guy, sometimes Suzie, occasionally JD… This time, I was bored until the last singer. If not for Toby, I might not even watch again, it was so lackluster.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    Yeah, there were several performers last time around who I enjoyed from day one - Mig, Marty, Jordis, mohawk-guy, sometimes Suzie, occasionally JD… This time, I was bored until the last singer. If not for Toby, I might not even watch again, it was so lackluster.
    Mohawk guy--Ty! Yes, I remember him. He did a killer rendition of "Maggie Mae" but wasn't very well liked by INXS or the fans. I wonder what he's up to. I see that MiG's on a tour, I think. He's playing Chicago later this month at a club. I don't know if I'll be able to go or not but if I do, I'll definitely file a report! (I also liked Neal, who got the ax pretty early on.)

I was really hoping they'd release a DVD of the entire season, instead of just the "highlights" DVD they released.

+ Reply to Thread