+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty

Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan
    I'm not really into grunge rock but I became a fan of Marty's after 'Hit Me Baby One More Time'. I love the evil intensity in his eyes but he came accross as much more human after having to deal with a song totally outside his genre. I think he was right to avoid allowing that song to be pop but he does need to show another side. Someone mentioned when he sang Frampton on MiG's encore 'Hey he can sing and smile at the same time'. I want to see him sing and smile at the same time again!

It's not so bad when your favourite is in the bottome three on this show since you get to see him do INXS songs. I loved his 'Don't Change'.
    I'm surprised just a little bit that Marty was in the bottom 3 only because Jordis fans saw her in the bottom 3 at the end of the performance show. Her fans tried to bail her out of the bottom but that's just no class on their part because she deserves to be in the bottom 3. And if they had faith in her, she will save herself by singing an INXS song and convince the band that she is right for them. However, I would think she would have been the one eliminated if the bottom 3 ended up with her, Marty and Ty.

Going back to Marty, he was once the frontrunner but he has become one dimensional that's why he was losing votes. He did more of a Travis or Fountains of Wayne version of "Baby One More Time" which is how a rocker should do. However, he's always angry in his songs and needed to lighten up. I'm cool with him singing an INXS song, I just hope that Jordis, Mig and JD are next to do it. I think JD is coming up the ladder and more and more people are warming up to Suzie..however JD bungled it last night by not really being serious about the new INXS song. I think he is a poser. So after that stunt by JD, I think that this contest is Mig's to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    Its ok I just think its kind of hackneyed. That whole intense, angst ridden, mad rocker thing is so trite and 90s.
    The forerunners I believe were a band from the 80s. Tears for Fears, particularly, Roland Orzabal. Nirvana and Pearl Jam took it up a notch.

I always feel like Marty is trying to vibrate the way Eddie Vedder does. But nobody "vibrates" like Eddie. Eddie could also make his voice somewhat silky and mesmerizing. I never hear Marty doing that.

Maybe he will this week though. He couldn't have asked for a better song to demonstrate that skill (if he has it).

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    Its ok I just think its kind of hackneyed. That whole intense, angst ridden, mad rocker thing is so trite and 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasGrumby
    The forerunners I believe were a band from the 80s. Tears for Fears, particularly, Roland Orzabal. Nirvana and Pearl Jam took it up a notch.
    I blame the British Invasion

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SpilltheBeans
    \ So unless the band really hates screaming, they probably should be telling Marty that he should always be in charge of his performance, not necessarily, don't scream.
    Didn't they really just tell him -- Do a little bit more singing, *too.* ... I didn't really hear them say, Don't scream. Just "balance it." And, considering the nature of their music -- which I think would say a lot about the nature of their fans -- this seems pretty sound advice. Screaming, fine, but almost all screaming, no. ... Actually, Marty's screaming does seem pretty in control to me. But he's going to have to sing, not scream, on quite a few INXS songs, if he makes it.

LKH
    All you have to do is listen to Marty talk after he's been screaming out a song to know what this is doing to his vocal chords. Unless he learns to open his throat and sing properly, and reserve the screaming to the occasional appropriate moment, he would not last the tour with INXS.

I like him, but he needs more time with that coach.

L

Marty finally does a non violent vocal & while it was good it may still send him bottom threeward.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    Marty finally does a non violent vocal & while it was good it may still send him bottom threeward.
    I was worried last night but after hearing the reviews on the net, I'm not so much. The initial bottom 3 hasn't held up as is yet and Marty seems the most likely to be moved out of it.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Wow. I didn't really have an opinion about Marty - until Wish You Were Here. This might sound extra goofy - but it made me cry. Both times. The song has a special meaning to me, but it does to a lot of people. Again, wow. Goosebumps.

I totally agree with you J.D. I had actually never heard the song until this week but it was one of my friend Sheri's favorites. I cried again tonight. It just brings back memories of her.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread