+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty

I'm not really into grunge rock but I became a fan of Marty's after 'Hit Me Baby One More Time'. I love the evil intensity in his eyes but he came accross as much more human after having to deal with a song totally outside his genre. I think he was right to avoid allowing that song to be pop but he does need to show another side. Someone mentioned when he sang Frampton on MiG's encore 'Hey he can sing and smile at the same time'. I want to see him sing and smile at the same time again!

It's not so bad when your favourite is in the bottome three on this show since you get to see him do INXS songs. I loved his 'Don't Change'.

FORT Fan
    He should go to Jordis for help with the smiling. She's done it even when the song has made it inapporpriate to smile. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan

It's not so bad when your favourite is in the bottome three on this show since you get to see him do INXS songs. I loved his 'Don't Change'.
    I agree - I was also kind of glad because I've been curious for weeks. Initially I was skeptical about his 'Don't Change' performance. Right after I saw it, I was thinking he should have lightened it up. But as he indicated to INXS he needs to retain some of his own style, or else what is left?

I watched it a couple more times and like it better each time and think he did a great job. I have to get over how Michael Hutchence did these songs, and seeing all these contestants perform makes me appreciate the unique qualities Michael had. However, I would definitely be in line to see INXS with Marty as front man.

Quote Originally Posted by especialk
    I would definitely be in line to see INXS with Marty as front man.
    Don't you think he would have a sore throat after 2 songs?

I did not start watching the show until a few weeks in. The first time that I did I thought that the final choice would be between Mig and Marty. Both the audience and INXS seem to love Marty (at least until recently).
    Personally I don't understand his popularity. I have not made it through a single one of his performances without wondering if there was anything more watchable on any other channel - even a commercial. I find his intense performances more interesting for wondering if this is the week that he is finally going to pop a blood vessel than for any musical reasons. Marty's intense approach seems to take each song in the same direction. If Deanna was called out for staying in her comfort zone, so should Marty.
    As for his speech about modernizing INXS's sound, he should remember that INXS is going to hire someone for their band, he's not hiring a band. INXS is going to continue to make music that they feel comfortable with. Hopefully the winner will be able to collaborate in making music, not just be a hired singer. But I don't think INXS is going to allow any newcomer to just step in and revamp their sound.

Quote Originally Posted by William13
    I did not start watching the show until a few weeks in. The first time that I did I thought that the final choice would be between Mig and Marty. Both the audience and INXS seem to love Marty (at least until recently).
    Personally I don't understand his popularity. I have not made it through a single one of his performances without wondering if there was anything more watchable on any other channel - even a commercial. I find his intense performances more interesting for wondering if this is the week that he is finally going to pop a blood vessel than for any musical reasons. Marty's intense approach seems to take each song in the same direction. If Deanna was called out for staying in her comfort zone, so should Marty.
    As for his speech about modernizing INXS's sound, he should remember that INXS is going to hire someone for their band, he's not hiring a band. INXS is going to continue to make music that they feel comfortable with. Hopefully the winner will be able to collaborate in making music, not just be a hired singer. But I don't think INXS is going to allow any newcomer to just step in and revamp their sound.
    I would agree with your last point, and maybe that's a reason that someone like JD is a better fit. But I am glad to see Marty continuing to express his style. I actually like all the remaining contestants, probably Ty and Jordis the least. I enjoyed Marty's performance of Don't Change more than I thought I would, but I also happen to really like his style and intensity, and his performances are what I look forward to most.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    Don't you think he would have a sore throat after 2 songs?
    It might take longer than 2 songs, but I can't imagine the damage he could do to his vocal cords doing 2 - 3 hrs. a night for the length of a world tour. He could end up sounding like the Godfather.

Well, when he sang the last lines of "Doooooooon't Chaaaaaaaange," let's just say we all got a pretty good view down his throat, and I didn't see any nodes in there.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Well, when he sang the last lines of "Doooooooon't Chaaaaaaaange," let's just say we all got a pretty good view down his throat, and I didn't see any nodes in there.

Nor did it look like he had any ingrown toenails either as you could see all the way down to his feet!

Let me just say that I'm not fond of seeing what my singer had for dinner before he came on stage. Don't open up so wide next time Marty!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie
    The band's comments about Marty's scream should probably be qualified. Screams are a legitimate performance technique used by various rock stars. But the difference is that while anyone who isn't mute can scream, the professional has a disciplined scream. When a performer goes on stage, the audience expects the performer to own the stage. When he or she screams uncontrollably, cracks his voice, trips on a cord, or does some other cringe-worthy action, that illusion is gone. So unless the band really hates screaming, they probably should be telling Marty that he should always be in charge of his performance, not necessarily, don't scream.

+ Reply to Thread