+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Marty

I will just say this for now. I love Marty Casey and all Lovehammers band members. They were beyond nice to me. They signed three cds that were mine and one that I bought for a special friend.

Marty remembered me and gave me the nicest hug. Finally I got a hug. I told him I was so happy that security wasn't there to yell at me this time. He signed my I love Marty shirt. The other band members, Dino, Bobby and Billy were beyond nice to me. We talked about Vegas and they said they would look out for me.

Marty and his bandmates are true class acts.

I was up for their whole set and sang along to every word.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    JLuvs, it sounds like you had such fun! Any photos of you with the band you can post for us all to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Libra40 View Post
    I like SWITCH and I know other people that like it too. Billboard, Pop Culture and People gave it a good review. They didn't have much promotion in the US before the album release and rating's s for the show weren't great. I think they left the states after the album released. Thier debut actually was better than industry expectations. It's not setting the world on fire in the US but that's OK. It's only been out a couple of months with limited airplay and PV is rising in airplay each week. Just took a little while to get there. It's went Platinum in Canada and GOld in Australia(that was back in Dec.)a and is doing well in a couple of other countries. According to 2 articles it's sold more than a million copies worldwide so far. I don't know how accurate that is but between Canada and US it's around half a million copies. Thier next single Afterglow is about to be released. I think it has mainstream appeal and may do well. I think for the amount of time they had to do the album it's reallly good.
    Libra, well said! I agree that it is doing well under the circumstances. I think it will continue to pick up as the tour goes on - I think I read that they will be touring for 18 months (seems like a long time, but they still have Australia and other countries to hit besides Canada and the U.S.). Some places are slow to catch on like where I live (Des Moines, IA) - one of our radio stations is finally playing Pretty Vegas now. I think Afterglow could do well too.

And yes, the show "Vegas" does play snippets of Pretty Vegas during previews for the show - I don't think it's the theme song but then I don't really watch that show either.

Ok, must stop reading about INXS and go to bed...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    JLuvs, it sounds like you had such fun! Any photos of you with the band you can post for us all to see?
    Nope...no digital cameras or stuff like that allowed. If I had a camera phone I would have tried, but I don't.

The Vegas concert was great too.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Lovehammers Set List -- order and songs suject to change

Ultrasound
    Hold On
    Straight As an Arrow
    Call of Distress
    The Tunnel
    Rain on the Brain
    Eyes Can't See
    The Riddle
    Trees
    Ring of Fire
    -Bono

FORT Newbie
    Lovehammers debuted at #67 with 14,490 sold. I'm not sure about internet album chart yet. I'll post that figure when I get it. They debuted at #38 in Canada.

Marty in the news!

Marty fans will love this article from the Chicago Sun-Times ... J.D. fans? Maybe not so much. But it's got some cute quotes from Marty:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derog...ws-live03.html

No more INXS baggage for Lovehammers
    February 3, 2006
    BY JIM DeROGATIS

In the eyes of many viewers, Chicagoan Marty Casey suffered a heartbreaking loss when he made it to the final round as one of two singers vying to replace Michael Hutchence on TV's "Rock Star: INXS," only to lose to a former Elvis impersonator. But if you ask me, he was the real winner.

I first met Casey and his long-time bandmates in what was then the Swinging Lovehammers in a parking lot at O'Hare in 1998 as they were flying to Austin, Texas, to perform at the South by Southwest Music & Media Conference. They clearly believed in themselves and their music, and they were committed to working as hard as possible to bring their sound -- a mix of old-school hard rock, Midwestern power-pop and a hint of Foo Fighters-style alternative -- to as big an audience as possible.

Casey and the rhythm section of Dino and Bobby Kourelis met as 10-year-olds playing T-ball in west suburban Hickory Hills. They formed the band during freshman year of high school and played for their friends. "Someone's parents would be out of town or out to dinner on a Saturday night," Casey says, "and we would set up the equipment in their living room and start playing."

Over the years, the group built a strong following via the usual indie-rock methods: independent releases, low-budget touring and constant gigging, getting to a point where they could headline at the Vic Theatre. But breaking through to the next level proved daunting -- until Casey got a call last year from a friend who recommended he audition for a new TV show, a hipper version of the dreaded "American Idol."

"I was intrigued," Casey says. "I had never, ever tried out for anything or played with anyone outside of the Lovehammers. I always had [guitarist] Billy [Sawilchik] and Bobby and Dino behind me, like the Chicago Mafia; they would never let anyone say anything bad about me! I wasn't thinking of getting on the show and going as far as I did; it was like, 'I'm going to go to this audition and see what I've got as a solo performer.'"

The audition proved to be the start of a seven-month ordeal, including 12 weeks of taping. Casey claims he has never watched the show -- "I lived it!" -- and treated the whole roller-coaster ride as a lark and way to win the Lovehammers their big break.

"I have a hard time looking back at it and actually believing that it's me, because I feel like I got abducted by aliens and now I've been set back here on Earth and everything just happens to be a little different," Casey says. "My family was trying to get me to watch the show with them and share any gory details about what really happened, but I told them, 'I just don't really want to watch it.'"

When the singer told his bandmates he'd be doing the show, they reacted with 45 minutes of stunned silence, and the bad feelings grew from there. "They were freaked out, and really, really upset, and I completely understood. Before, I had never taken a trip, whether to Europe or Mexico, where I hadn't come back early because we had a super-great gig in Madison, Wis., or wherever on Saturday night."

During their singer's absence, Lovehammers made the best of things, doing special gigs with guest vocalists after screenings of the show and rooting for their childhood friend -- until the final round.

"If they could have called me at that point, they would have said, 'OK, now it's time to lose,'" Casey says, laughing. "And honestly, when I was standing up there at the last moment and I was ready for them to either choose me or J.D. [Fortune], in my heart I was like, 'Pick J.D.' I didn't feel that way through the rest of the competition. But I have been in Lovehammers for 16 years, and I knew that the members of INXS could understand that kind of dedication, because they've been doing it for 25 years."

In the end, Casey allegedly lost, as INXS chose Fortune to shift from being a fake Elvis to imitating another dead singer. But as I said, Casey was the real winner.

After a decade and a half in the trenches, Lovehammers are releasing their first major-label album for Epic, a self-titled disc that includes songs from throughout their career, among them "Trees," the tune that garnered such attention on the show.

The group is now managed by Doc McGee -- whose clients have included Kiss, Motley Crue and Bon Jovi -- and who was alone among the people approaching Casey after the show to recommend that he stick with Lovehammers, rather than going solo.

Finally, Marty Casey & Lovehammers are opening for INXS on their first jaunt with their new lead singer (in a sold-out show at the Chicago Theatre on Saturday night). I, for one, have little doubt that they will be the better band onstage, as well as the one with the brighter future.

MARTY CASEY & LOVEHAMMERS

In-store performance and autograph session

1 p.m. Saturday

Virgin Megastore, 540 N. Michigan

(312) 645-9300

INXS; MARTY CASEY & LOVEHAMMERS

8 p.m. Saturday

Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State

Sold out

The Virgin Megastore thing is limited....to I believe 250 people. So if anyone here wants to go you will need to jump on it as it might already be sold out.
    -Bono

Lovehammers Contraband

Okay....so some of these pictures are dorky but I thought you all might appreciate seeing them. The ones of my Marty signed shirt are right after I got home from the concert and taken by me...so they are not wonderful.

The second time you see the Marty shirt in the pictures I promise it is the same one. I just added all the names of the other members of Lovehammers and was going to try and get them to sign it at Las Vegas.

For the curious, here is how the meet at greet at Highland went in a bit more detail. I was in line with Kylie, one of the other spoilers who went to the tapings with me, and we finally got up to the front of the line. She went first as she only wanted Marty's autograph. Marty sees me and grins and thankfully I still had the ability to speak. I told him is was great to finally see him without Rockstar security and to be finally able to get my fu**ing hug. He was already up out of the seat to give me one and he didn't give them to everyone so I was quite happy. When I made that comment about security the other band members had a good laugh.

Then I basically threw down my cds. I had two Lovehammers cds, one for me and one for someone that is special to me from FORT, and their L'Strange CD and Murder on My Mind cd. Now as soon as they saw I had their old cds the boys all lit up. Dino saw my shirt and made a crack about how he bets that I was looking for a shirt that said I love Marty but I love Bobby more. Bobby is Dino's brother. All of the guys were busting up and then I remembered I hadn't got Marty to sign my shirt. I looked up and said Damn it...I wanted Marty to sign my shirt. Marty was totally cool with that and while the guys were laughing, signing my cds and chatting me Marty leaned over Dino and signed the shirt. I just kept chatting with them for as long as possible before security got mad and gave me an evil look. So I had to move on.

Sigh...memories.

I don't know if I will ever be able to talk to them like that again, but to have Marty remember me and get my hug was worth it all. Lovehammers, and by that I mean all of them, are the nicest guys that you could ever meet and I hope they come out to LA again....as I doubt they will come to Highland.

I am going through withdrawals all over again.

Here are the pics of my stuff....well some of it is being sent to others but you know what I mean.

-Bono

Way cool, JLUVS. Thanks for sharing! I knew that Marty was a good egg!

+ Reply to Thread