+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty

Quote Originally Posted by fleetingbeauty
    The first time I saw Marty I thought that he looks like a perfect Vampire Lestst, and I can't get it out of my head when I see him. He just needs some fangs! (Wouldn't he look Great with fangs?)
    Hardworking dedicated sweetheart by day - Evil-eyed, passionate vampire by night. I could go for that.

The first time I saw Marty I thought that he looks like a perfect Vampire Lestst, and I can't get it out of my head when I see him. He just needs some fangs! (Wouldn't he look Great with fangs?)
    Well, he would have looked a heck of a lot more realistic than Tom Cruise with that dreadful hair. Blech. As a fan of the original book (much more so than the sequels, although I did like Queen of the Damned) I hated the fact that Tom Cruise was playing Lestat.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    On the other hand, it could show that JD has high expectations and wasn't willing to risk his shot at a career by singing a worthless lyric, while Marty was oh-so-willing to help manufacture a piece of crap and call it beautiful as long as it gets him "in" better with the girl he's attracted to (Jordis). Let's face it, the song sucked. Marty was the leader, and he either didn't recognize a good song, or he was refusing to use it based on principle. How many times have you had a supervisor who wouldn't accept a quality idea because he is stubbornly pursuing something inferior? At least JD could recognize it was crap.

I surmised the clinic was more to see how well they individuals played with others than how well they could put together a song in such an abreviated period of time.

It was an excellent demonstration of putting the needs of the team first, you know that old saying about there being no "I" in team, well, putting aside the overriding competitive theme of the show, the exercise was enlightening. The judging of the calibre of song was, in my opinion, secondary. Marty's team lost, not because it was a bad song (it was) but because they team didn't stick together. So while JD had a better song he lost the competition due to his actions.

On another note, OB is not necessarily looking for a strong songwriter. They have one.

Okay, I just have to say it...

I was a SERIOUS Anne Rice fan 15 years ago, and remember how the fans were SOOOooo- upset that Tom Cruise was playing the Vampire Lestat.

It's weird to be thinking about the vampire stuff after so long...
    Since you brought it up... My first impression of Marty was that he would have made a better looking Legolas for LOTR than Orlando Bloom (I like Orlando otherwise, he just did not look quite right as Legolas in my eyes). And everytime since then I have thought the same when seeing Marty: what a great elf face this guy would have . So, I do not really think Mart looks scary when he performs, just "unreal", but not in a negative sense.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Reality junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGills
    On another note, OB is not necessarily looking for a strong songwriter. They have one.
    That is debatable. Michael Hutchence was the lyricist, Andrew was the music and has been filling Michael~s role. I actually suspect that he might be partially relieved to have another strong lyricist in the band.
    Are you a parent or teacher wanting to know more about computer and video games? Take a look at GAMEparents.

From a blog post from September 1:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Farriss
    Stylistically, I've been going in all sorts of directions. At the moment I've written everything from ballads to hip-hop/reggae-hop to rock-hop to straight rock. There's some funk stuff, some INXS style riffs and lyrically I'm trying to stay true to - not only my own lyrical ideas - but my co-writers ideas as well. The songs are a combination of being about the world, some are silly, some crazy, some are sexy. I'm not sure how to describe them. But they're moving forward!
    I have just come off watching Metallica's Some Kind of Monster so could be that I am projecting the team-writing process onto OB. Read a very good quote from an industry insider, I can't remember who said it but I'll paraphrase it anyway:

"The longer we're in the business the less funny Spinal Tap is."

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    It's funny, looking at MSN's music downloads. Marty is leading the charge, and almost ALL his performances are in the top 20 downloads. The only performance that isn't in the top 20 is What I Like About You from Week 2.

Jordis has 5 (Man Who Sold The World, Imagine, Try Not, Knocking On Heaven's Door, and Heart Shaped Box).

Suzie has 2 (Bohemian Rhapsody and Soul Life).

JD has 1 (Pretty Vegas, currently at #2).

Mig has 1 (Baby I Love Your Way).

I wonder if INXS is paying attention to this data? This is the purchasing public.
    How do you get the statistics? It sounds like Marty and Jordis are the most likely to do well whether INXS picks them or not. I'm also wondering about the American bias of the msn stats. If it's true that fans are regional (&, as a Cdn Marty fan I think there's a bit but not much of that) JD, Suzie and MiG the non-Americans aren't doing well on the downloads but only Americans are allowed to download.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan
    How do you get the statistics? It sounds like Marty and Jordis are the most likely to do well whether INXS picks them or not. I'm also wondering about the American bias of the msn stats. If it's true that fans are regional (&, as a Cdn Marty fan I think there's a bit but not much of that) JD, Suzie and MiG the non-Americans aren't doing well on the downloads but only Americans are allowed to download.
    I think you are giving us Americans too much credit. I doubt the majority of us even know that Suzie and JD are Canadian. Seriously. And they also probably think Mig is from England. We had an Australian exchange student for a year. She spent the entire year saying: No, I'm from Australia not England. So to think that Americans are only downloading other Americans is a stretch for me. I'm American and not to denigrate my fellow countrymen, but I doubt most of them know or care that there are actually 3 countries represented on RS and are downloading what they like to listen too instead of being patriotic and standing behind our countryman.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I think you are giving us Americans too much credit. I doubt the majority of us even know that Suzie and JD are Canadian.
    It's the lack of the Cdn and Australian votes that I was talking about. I agree that American's would probably not pay attention.

In Canadian Idol, no one from Toronto cares where anyone is from but people from the East coast are more likely to vote East coast (I'm wondering if that's why JD says he's from Nova Scotia when he's really from suburbia outside Toronto). In AI, Hawaii is like that. If you're from someplace big it's no big deal that the person is from there but if you're from someplace small you're proud of the person for making it when they're from where you're from. You may or may not end up liking them but you'll probably be in their court for at least a while and have a tendency to want to vote for your home town favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndyPuppy
    That is debatable. Michael Hutchence was the lyricist, Andrew was the music and has been filling Michael~s role. I actually suspect that he might be partially relieved to have another strong lyricist in the band.
    I'm thinking he has some songwriting ability judging from his bio on the Rockstar MSN site. Here's a bit:

Winner of the John Lennon songwriting contest with his song "Rain on the Brain," Marty has used his originality and devotion to turn the Lovehammers into more than just a garage project. The Lovehammers have opened for Nickelback, Jerry Cantrell, Interpol, New Found Glory, and, most recently, Cake and Gomez on a 21-city tour.

Marty and the Lovehammers have even stormed the worlds of film, TV and DVD. In 2004, their DVD "Live/Raw" debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard musical DVD chart; they are now regularly placing singles in movie soundtracks, and their song "This Town" has been selected as the theme song for the World Shidokan Championships on ESPN.

I'm really not sure why he's doing this show, he is already on his way to success in his own right. Perhaps he'll multi-task His motives aren't important to me, I'm rooting for him 100%.

+ Reply to Thread