+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordis

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hebtheeagle
    I love Jordis' music. I was standing and singing along with her when she did "Heart-Shaped Box".
    Me too!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    For some reason I'm just not feeling her. She looks right and sounds good, but something seems missing.
    I think what's missing, with her, is the emotion. The experience, the performance. I mean...the girl sang 'Heart-Shaped Box' with a smile on her face while doing cute little wavy motions with her arms. 'Heart-Shaped Box' is a song full of hate and bitterness and pain. It isn't a song of cheery smiles and cutesy wavy arm motions. I sat and watched her performance and said to my friend, 'Y'know, her voice is stunning, but she's doing it all wrong. No matter how good her voice is, if she can't project the feeling of the song, I don't like it.'

I was very surprised that Navarro liked it. It's one thing to put an artist's own stamp on a song; it's quite another to completely disregard the song's emotion, or worse, to be incapable of projecting any emotion other than groovy sixties-era coolness.

I mean, think back to the first performance. How cheerful did she look belting out 'Baba O'Riley'? How much angst and defiance did she put into it? Nnnf.

I love her voice. But she's too young and inexperienced. She hasn't yet learned that 'perky' isn't the right attitude for a rock singer to project in every song. When she learns that, she'll be worlds better.

Tay

I don't think she's perky. I actually think she may have the exact OPPOSITE problem--taking things too seriously. The reveal about her "basic black" philosophy and her apparent disgust at the fashion antics kind of supports that. She, perhaps, can't fully commit to a song BECAUSE she's trying too hard to be a technician. Rock is about fun. If she's not having fun, then her almost perfect voice may not be enough.

We'll see. I still like her a heck of a lot. She's got at least some charisma--she just may never be able to weild it properly without loosening up.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Ace
    Fashion is an integral part of pop music culture. Her lack of interest in it does not bode well for the kind of frontperson that is necessary to get this band the attention it needs to make a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    And I thought I was the only one who didn't think she's the next great thing!
    Nope you're not alone.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

FORT Newbie

Rock that shi. homey!

Good luck Jordis. Doesn't really look like you'll need it though. Bunch of jokers on this show.
    We've done quite a few shows with the tongs the past couple years and she has blown me away every time i hear her sing. She draws a crowd at karoke night at The Parkside on the eastside! Well looks like she'll be a big ole rock star now. Leavin the lowly ranks of the local musicians in the trenches. Lucky bastard Go do it girl.

Make it funky,
    Hashbrown

FORT Newbie

Fashion doesn't matter.

Why does it matter what you wear? Talent is talent. She's in a punk band, she dresses pretty appropriately i'd say.

Make it funky,
    Hashbrown

FORT Newbie
    I am divided on the image issue. I can see where Jordis and some others are coming from- image/fashion really should not be what matters. But INXS is not a punk band or an indie rock band or even an alt-rock band. They are a pop rock band who do have a particular image- which may, of course, adapt to match their new lead singer. Who knows? Its possible.
    Of course it could also be argued then even a lack of image is an image- anti-fashion is still a fashion trend after all.
    Anyways, closer to the topic at hand, Jordis is great IMHO. I even dig her fashion sense (it reminds me of an ex of mine). And her voice and stage prescence- both A+.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    Fashion is an integral part of pop music culture. Her lack of interest in it does not bode well for the kind of frontperson that is necessary to get this band the attention it needs to make a comeback.
    She just needs a couple of gay guys for her future posse.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Personally think she is the most talented. Style, whatever - not the main concern here. Not a fan of the hair, but think she could be very hot ala Daphna if she tried.

She may be too confident and calm, as some think she is lacking in stage presence. Could do without that arm wave motion though.

+ Reply to Thread