+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: J.D.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    OBINXS definitely made the proper choice in JD. And I agree with Squatman, Marty just wasn't right for OB. I get a kind of scary sensation when I remember some of his performances & would really hate to have a whole album of him hollerin his way through song after song.
    Well, that's hardly a fair comment. Marty took OBINXS's critiques to heart and turned out some amazing performances including Wish You Were Here, Creep, and Don't Change, among others. And no hollerin' evident.

While I agree that JD was the best overall choice, if Marty, MiG or Suzie had been chosen, very likely many of the songs would also have been different, just because they are different singers.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    Well, that's hardly a fair comment. Marty took OBINXS's critiques to heart and turned out some amazing performances including Wish You Were Here, Creep, and Don't Change, among others. And no hollerin' evident.

While I agree that JD was the best overall choice, if Marty, MiG or Suzie had been chosen, very likely many of the songs would also have been different, just because they are different singers.
    It may indeed be unfair from your point of view, but I found Marty to be very much over the top & for the most part very unpleasant to listen to. That is the meaning of art & music, something for everyone, & not everyone is going to agree. I still wouldn't want to hear him as INXS front person & won't be lining up to buy the CD by his band. And Trees, ....stupid stupid song.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    It may indeed be unfair from your point of view, but I found Marty to be very much over the top & for the most part very unpleasant to listen to. That is the meaning of art & music, something for everyone, & not everyone is going to agree. I still wouldn't want to hear him as INXS front person & won't be lining up to buy the CD by his band. And Trees, ....stupid stupid song.
    I'm not disputing your personal preferences. That said, you suggested an album with him would have him hollerin' through song after song when the evidence from the show indicated he complied with OBINXS' wishes for less and less such shouting. That's what I meant was an "unfair" statement, not what you liked or disliked.

Just so you all know. LAGuy and I went to the INXS cd signing in Hollywood last night. Was lots of fun and great to see lots of old friends again.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

giz
    JLuvs, it certainly seems on tv as if the band all get along really well. They seem to genuinely like JD. Of course we can never know, but - being objective about JD - would you say that's the case from what you've seen in person?

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    JLuvs, it certainly seems on tv as if the band all get along really well. They seem to genuinely like JD. Of course we can never know, but - being objective about JD - would you say that's the case from what you've seen in person?
    I think that they all get along very well and I have always thought that, with the exception of the unedited Suspicous Minds week of the show. Regardless of wheter I wanted him to win or not, I am more than willing to admit that he had some connection that none of the other rockers had with INXS

Here is my report on the cd signing thingy:

Some of this is going to be highly generic as I have to post in on about five boards….I think and really I can’t write this review that many times, so if some phrases slip in that are not familiar….they most likely belong to my vocab from another board.

Okay so yesterday, or by the time I finish typing this, the day before, I decided to go down to the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood for the INXS CD signing. If you ever meet my Mum though, the signing was in Ontario. Normally the drive takes around 1 hr 45min to 2 hours…. sadly this time it took 3 hours --- so by the time I got there I was the VERY back of the line. Saw a bunch of my friends that went to taping with me and moved up to be with them.

So we go in and there is this sign there that basically said they were only signing the new CD cover and that you could only have one thing signed. Well I had 3 CDS to get signed, and since all of you know me well enough by now, you know that I opened all of my CD covers and stacked them one on top of the other, hoping that they would sign all of them.

So Andrew gets them first and he asks me if they are all for me….I take that as him literally asking the question and told him that one is for my brother for Christmas, one is for a good friend in Canada and one is for me. Since I have a tendency to ramble…I am sure it comes as no shock to most of you that I then proceeded to tell him that I had gone to every Sunday taping, with the exception of two. He asked me what I thought of the show and I told him that I loved it and was going through withdrawals. He laughed and I went on to the next person in line.

Jon and I continued to talk about the tapings and while he and Kirk, who was next, signed the CDS we were joking around about how they got me in trouble with security the one-week I was by INXS.

Tim was next and I don’t remember saying all that much to him…but I am sure I did as I really can’t be silent…I am just incapable.

Then I get to Gary, who is by far my favorite member of INXS and I loose all ability to speak…. seriously, it was as if I lost my voice entirely. Eventually, when he passed the CDS on to JD, I found my voice again and talked to both of them at the same time. I said Hi JD and shockingly enough he remembered me from the tapings. Then I told them that I was going to see them twice in concert and Gary asked me where… I told them Highland, to which they laughed --- no one ever comes to Highland --- and Las Vegas. Gary told me that the Las Vegas show was going to be really good.

After that I grabbed some pictures with fellow Rockstar: INXS peeps…. which will remain in my private collection and make me smile immensely and then went out to eat with a bunch of them. I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to see some of them again, so it was really a blast and great lead in to my birthday.

Here are the autographs from my cd

ps...my brother is here I am trying to hide the cds from him...hence the lovely blurred quality.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey
    Great story, JLuvs. Thanks again for sharing.

giz
    thanks so much for that, lucky you! and happy birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Trynity View Post
    I bought the DVD on Tuesday.....and LAGuy made it on the DVD!!! It's the clip where you are clapping with your hands in the air during the first INXS mini concert at the finale when they play Pretty Vegas. You truly can enjoy the moment forever! Congrats!!!
    I'm sure I'll enjoy it... if I ever get my pre-order from Sony!

If you're interested, you can read my full account of the CD Signing at my LiveJournal page. But here's the relevant JD section:

I guess he was momentarily distracted when I got to him, because he didn’t even look up at first. He just took my CD insert from Garry and signed his name. But as he passed it back across the table towards me, he looked up and stopped dead in his tracks. "Hey man!" He grinned and threw out his hand to shake. "Glad you could make it!" "Oh JD," I blithely replied. "You know I wouldn’t miss this for the world." He pulled the CD insert back and began to write more while we chatted a bit. (Just general stuff like how he was doing, etc.) When he finished writing and gave it back to me, he clasped my hand again. I thanked him and said "See you in January!" before walking away.

I was beaming from our interaction - and I was glad that he had done more than just sign his name once he recognized me. But I waited until I was well away from the table before reading what he had written.

Live
    Love
    Remember
    to Rock
    Your Friend
    J - xo

What can I say? The guy can touch you, even with just a few strokes of his pen....

+ Reply to Thread