+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by CelicaDude25
    Nope, Ty seemed to like it too. He kinda kissed back. The funny thing was Ty kissed Jordis on the cheeks. Do guys (assuming they're close) really kiss on the lips? Thats just weird.
    I think that's a bit of a projection to say "Ty seemed to like it too." I'm guessing that he had so much else going on in that moment of elimination that he barely gave it any thought at all. It was just a simple peck between friends. I doubt there was anything sexual about it.

It's funny, becausee a few weeks back, people were raving about how Tara and Ty must have something going because they did a mouth kiss when she got eliminated.

In some circles, people casually kiss folks they are close to on the lips without regard to whether they are of the same sex or not. It's not a big deal. I have both women and men friends that I do that with, and it's not a sexual thing. It's just not a big deal, and that's how the kiss J.D. gave Ty looked to me.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I agree. I wish people would quit trying to make JD's farewell to Ty into some sexual thing. It seemed like an obviously beautiful sad loving gesture (to me).

And CelicaDude was wrong -- Ty kissed both Jordis and JD on the lips.

Honestly, I am not a fan of homosexuality, so I think if any of that was shown, I would've been bothered. But there was nothing to that sad goodbye that was bothersome in the least.

Seems like people are a little mad that JD is compassionate... because they want him SO BADLY to be the evil spirit. JD being nice interferes with the plan.

As I said a few pages back, it was soooo refreshing to see that kind of love come out of a guy, since guys are normally only willing to show love if they can still look "macho". Thanks

LAGuy has been to many of the performance tapings, and wrote a great recap of the JD events most of us aren't allowed to see on TV. Since his review is so relevant to this thread, and since I want to be able to find it again the next time I'm mad at the producers, I wanted to post it here.

Thanks again LAGuy!
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    LIVE J.D. REPORT

One of the main reasons I’ve been doing these Live Performance Reports is to counter some of the “reality show” dramatics and expose some of Mark Burnett’s manipulations. This week, there can be no better focus than J.D. I figure you’ve all seen the show and have come to your own conclusions about the performances, so my 2 cents isn’t going to matter. But as “Fans of Reality TV”, I think you should all be interested in what went down in regards to J.D. -- both what you saw and what you didn’t see. I will endeavor to report it as accurately as I can recall, but will make comments as I see fit.

To begin with: They spent a HUGE amount of time on the Q&A at the beginning of the show, with Dave (primarily) quizzing J.D. on the Recording Studio Drama. J.D. said that he did work on the song (and a photo at the official Rock Star site seems to confirm that.) But, he said, there was a part that changed (to a different key, iirc) and, rather than put his own spin on it, he wanted to see what INXS had in mind. He said he had 4 different ways to do that part of the song, and Jon said that they would've preferred that he only had 1 and had presented that 1 to them. [Apparently INXS had no problems telling Marty how they wanted it done, however.]

Andrew admitted that most of the other Rockers had trouble with the same part(!), so J.D. gestured towards one of the monitors and snapped, "Not according to THAT" (meaning the clip they had shown of the “reality” footage). He seemed really pissed about his portrayal, pointing out that they each had only 15-20 minutes in the studio to do the song, yet the editing made it seem like he was causing them to "run out of time". [I knew even then that this part would never make it on the air. There was no way in Hell that Mark Burnett would show a contestant calling BS on the editing. They're supposed to wait until they've been booted to do that.] J.D went on to ask Jon & Andrew point blank: “Did YOU guys have a problem with the end result?” Both said "No" and Andrew said that the point of the exercise was to see what J.D. brought to the process (or words to that effect). [Interesting that the “No” was cut, but the rest of Andrew’s comment made it into the show, which made it sound somewhat snarkier.]

Dave, however, wasn't about to let it go, and asked the other Rockers what they thought. Everyone was silent for a moment before MiG spoke up. He quite eloquently (& at greater length than shown on air) stuck up for J.D., saying that J.D. had his own way of doing things and that it seemed to work for him. Without having heard the finished product, MiG said, he could not criticize J.D.'s approach. Suzie made her little comment about “it seemed to take a long time” and that was it. No one else had anything to say about J.D. and the Q&A moved on to other topics (like Jordis altering the melody of the song).

We now fast forward to the comments after J.D.’s performance of Suspicious Minds. Dave, as usual, went first and, though he praised J.D. for "stripping some of the Elvis" out of the song, he began questioning him on his song choice. Dave said he didn't think the song would take J.D. to the "next level". He wondered why J.D. didn't heed his own advice to MiG by not doing a song he had done before. J.D. responded that he thought that this was the song to take him to the next level, and that, unlike MiG -- who sang Bohemian Rhapsody 8 times a week -- he had never sung this before.

A few minutes later, however, in response to further questioning, J.D. said that he had had to work hard on the song to make it different than when he’d done it before. That’s when the sh*t hit the fan. The Band was like: "What?! We thought you said you'd never sung it before!?" etc., etc.

J.D. tried to explain that -- although he had sung Suspicious Minds about twice a month to pay the rent -- he sang it as an Elvis impersonator (with all the trappings) and NOT as J.D. That's what he meant when he said he had never sung it before: It was a completely different performance & arrangement than he had ever done before. [It didn’t sound like back-pedaling to me at all; just J.D. trying to make himself understood.] But the Band wouldn't let up on him: "I'm confused,” they said. "Why did you choose this song, then?" J.D. tried explaining some more that, in doing the song now & in the way he had, he felt that he was closing out a chapter in his life and moving forward. It was closure to him. He also pointed out that no one else wanted to sing the song. The Band just wouldn’t let it go, however, and J.D. just looked confused at their reaction. [I honestly felt sorry for the 3rd degree he was being given.]

The lowest blow came from Timmy, however. When it was his turn to make comments, he started off with, "Well, J.D., I listened to the recording studio tapes and felt that you sounded unprepared." [Wow, how nice of Timmy to bring up the Recording Studio Drama as part of the Live Performance critique. I mean, hadn’t we already dealt with the whole Recording Studio thing? Hadn’t J.D. asked if they had a problem with the result? Why didn't Timmy speak up then?] J.D. could do nothing more than accept the criticism.

I don’t understand the complete 180 the Band did this week regarding J.D. Had he tanked on his performance, it would've been one thing. But he basically got blasted by the Band about stuff (the song choice, his fumbled explanation, the Recording Studio, etc.) that had nothing to do with his actual performance. In fact, the few comments that were made about his performance as a performance were quite good.

Well, if you saw the show, you know that most of this never made it on the air. But I don’t think that the editing was done to put J.D. in a more favorable light. Rather, I think it was done to make the Band look better. Perhaps they realized afterwards that they had come off as too strong & for all the wrong reasons. (Negative comments were also edited out about Marty having “pitch problems” and MiG “sounding nasally”, and those at least had something to do with the actual performance.) If J.D. ends up in the Bottom 3, the Band can still exercise their power and give him the boot if they want. Only now, thanks to the editors, they won't look like Schoolyard Bullies in doing so.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Hmmm - this is all so interesting. Great comments. Although I'm not fond of JD's work, many of you are, so I want to ask your opinion - do you think maybe INXS has already (semi) chosen JD and are putting his feet to the fire? To see what he's made of? I've read posts that say the band isn't giving much feedback to Jordis because they aren't planning to keep her - so could the opposite be true for JD?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Fireflyer, thanks for posting LAGuy's post...That was really interesting to read--the inner workings of the whole show.

And J.D. brought up a good point on this thread--but I'm wondering if INXS is going to say something similar to him as they did to Marty when they criticized him for sounding too angy/modern...Remember? Marty said he had to do leave some of himself in his music or something like that. And the band all cheered him and Tim (I think) said something like, "Yes, we were testing you." Perhaps the band is going to say that to JD as well--that they gave him such a hard time 'cause they were testing him. (Although I doubt it.)

Personally, I would've liked to have heard MiG sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" and I don't think it would've been a big deal if JD had sung "Suspicious Minds" as Elvis.

This whole concept of "what do you bring to the INXS table" is so ridiculous anyhow. If they want to see what member truly would make the best frontman/woman, they would have them ALL sing INXS songs--ballads, rockers, etc.--instead of just making the Bottom 3 do it. Just because JD could sound like Elvis (or not) has nothing to do with whether he could sing INXS.

To me, it was clear Brandon and Deeana sounded too different to fit into INXS. So whether they sang "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Mystify," their vocal style just wasn't right.

There's so much of this show I can't stand...but like I said in an earlier post, I can't stop watching.

LoisLane, I agree with everything you said!

And did you notice during the Wednesday show that after JD was asked for his comment and he said "I just want to f_____ sing", the curly-haired Farriss brother told him "great answer mate, great answer" or something to that effect...

Not exactly the same thing as telling Marty they were just "testing" him (which I thought was BS anyway), but to me it indicated that at least one of the Farriss' is supportive of JD. It seems like the Wednesday night positive reinforcement was a huge turnaround from the Tuesday night slams by OBINXS.

I am rooting for JD at this point (not sure why except his voice is the closest to Michael's and I find that soothing), but I'm not very confident because of the trashing JD has taken during this series. I think he's the best performer, and you have to give him props for getting up there every night after he's villianized from clips and harrassed live, and STILL giving a driving performance. It's really not so easy to put all that drama out of your mind for the duration of the performance, but JD is mastering how to do just that. Maybe the biggest test of all?

(Although if OBINXS actually came out and said 'JD we were just testing you by completely trashing your personality and reputation to see how you'd hold up during performances...' I'd think they were full of shot.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    II think he's the best performer, and you have to give him props for getting up there every night after he's villianized from clips and harrassed live, and STILL giving a driving performance. It's really not so easy to put all that drama out of your mind for the duration of the performance, but JD is mastering how to do just that.
    After the thrashing J.D. got at the Live Performance show on 8/28 -- thanks for copying my post, fireflyer -- he still had to perform 2 songs for the CD Recording Session that evening.

Most of the others hung out in the Rockers' Pod for much of the evening. But J.D. did not. Since he was scheduled to record his songs last, he may have caught 40 winks backstage. Or he may have wanted to be alone to chill or practice. Or he may have not wanted to be around Suzie because he felt "betrayed" by her. Who knows? Who cares?

What matters to me is that, despite having been beaten up by Our Band only a few hours earlier, he came out and killed on his two songs: California Dreamin' and The Letter. (I was right up by the stage and, believe me, he was scorching! The faint-of-heart need not apply.)

He may have been feeling pretty crappy about everything that happened earlier. But he showed up (better prepared than anyone else, I might add), was totally engaging with the fans, and was completely & utterly professional. All that, PLUS he kicked all kinds of ass with his performance.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    [QUOTE=LAGuy]What matters to me is that, despite having been beaten up by Our Band only a few hours earlier, he came out and killed on his two songs: California Dreamin' and The Letter. (I was right up by the stage and, believe me, he was scorching! The faint-of-heart need not apply.)

Fireflyer, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you as well. And LAGuy, thanks for all the "in" stuff that the rest of us would never know about. OK, I actually didn't like JD's version of "California Dreamin'" or "Hand in Pocket" or a lot of his songs, actually, to tell you the truth. It's just a style thing. I thought he did a capable job with "Suspicious Minds"... But I can't wait to hear him do "The Letter" again. I don't even like that song, but he did such a great job with it that I had to clap for the guy (privately to myself, of course, since I watch this at home by myself). I think Navarro or one of the INSXy guys said it best--that performance was worth paying for.

You know, I was watching one of those "Behind the Scenes" specials on cast members from several reality shows, and one of the girls from "The Real World" was talking about how the producers kept picking away at her to get her to say something bad about one of her roommmates. Finally, she said something like, "Well, so and so can be a little annoying..." From there, they turned it into a hate relationship between these two cast members.

If I were in the Rock Star wannabes shoes, I would probably be weasely and say what I thought the band wanted me to say because I wouldn't want to get kicked off early. It's not that I'm a weasel (I'M REALLY NOT, I SWEAR!), but it's almost like little kids trying to please their parents--they have to say what they're supposed to say. I even see JD starting to do this a little bit because he's gotten so much flack.

I said before in another thread that I was glad Ty said what he did when he got kicked off. Whether I agree with him doesn't even matter. It was just so nice to hear someone say something that sounded like the truth.

JD isn't my favorite contestant (maybe it's a Canadian thing ), but what he's been saying all along is right--it's a COMPETITION and everyone but one will go home. When I heard Suzie crying about needing a song 'cause she was in the Bottom 3, I couldn't help wondering--so what you're basically saying is you need to be saved, but that will ultimately mean that someone else will go home instead.

Everyone needs/wants to be saved 'cause no one wants to go home. Let the competition begin. As MiG's fond of saying, "Bring It."

Here's what I think INXS wants in the singer: Someone who looks/behaves like MiG, with the passion of Marty, who can deliver spot on like Suzie and with the arrogance/charisma of JD. As much as I'd like to see MiG win the title (can't help it--I think he's adorable), I think JD is the one who is the best fit with the band. (I really liked his song "Vegas Pretty," or whatever it's called.)

OK, sorry for rambling on folks. Can't wait to see what Tuesday and Wednesday's shows will bring!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    JD isn't my favorite contestant (maybe it's a Canadian thing )
    Not sure what the "Canadian thing" is all about there Lois...

Anyway.

A lot of good points were made on editing and perception. The show is about ratings and drama makes for good ratings so the editors will do their best to create something out of nothing if they have to.

There is no doubt that JD's a professional performer, but his charisma and appeal only comes out on stage. Off stage he's poorly portrayed and his behaviour alienates. The guy just flat our creeps me out.

FORT Fanatic
    Cheers Grumpy...

I've been biting my tongue regarding the "Canadian Thing" comment.

JD and Suzie have done very, very well considering they are foreign. My hat is off to the American public for giving them a chance. Mig as well but I think it wouldn't seem as bizarre to vote an Aussie in to an Aussie band.

+ Reply to Thread