+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    But he IS marketing himself. That's what these shows are for. When it comes down to that one person - that one who fronts INXS - the marketing becomes about the band.

Who are we to decide? We are people who buy the CDs, we are the ones who put the cash in the band's pockets. By having this competition, INXS is getting a whole lotta free airtime, plus the band gets the world's favorite singer. Well, the person who allegedly gets the most votes. What a great marketing idea.
    Sure, but is he really marketing himself, or is Mark Burnett Productions marketing him in the way that THEY SEE FIT? C'mon, he's made himself a target because of some stupid and thoughtless comments, and now he's stuck watching them villify him. He's revealed that frustration in front of the band and the audience by calling out the editing of the show, which of course was NOT shown on the tv broadcast. I think he's hurt because all the crap continually flies in his direction. Did he bring some of it on himself? Probably in some ways, yes. But does he deserve to be dumped on again and again, every show, so it's no longer about singing but about all the other stuff? No.

Then again, since when has a little negative publicity hurt a rock star?

Sure, we buy the records, we line their pockets. What I'm saying is he has an obvious fanbase. It's kept him in the competition this long. I guess, given the right music, that fanbase will buy his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    Imagine how classy it would've been if everyone had answered the stupid Dave-questions about the drama the same way JD did: "I just want to sing".

Imagine that. No long-winded answers about who hurt whose feelings, or who was upset and why, or who proclaims to hate the drama right after he adds more fuel to it...

Imagine Dave going down the list of rockers, as he did, but each one when questioned simply says "I just want to sing". All 6 of them, in a row.

THAT would've been a statement stronger than any other.
    Right now, this is my favorite post of all time. Couldn't have said it better.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Who are we to decide? We are people who buy the CDs, we are the ones who put the cash in the band's pockets. By having this competition, INXS is getting a whole lotta free airtime, plus the band gets the world's favorite singer. Well, the person who allegedly gets the most votes. What a great marketing idea.
    Actually they don't have to get the most votes. INXS gets to decide the winner. That person might actually come in 3rd (or lower) if the world got to pick.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I am a JD-aholic....To me he is not cocky, but insecure and misguided. I'm sure he'll do well no matter what.
    I agree with the "insecure and misguided" comment, and I do think he has a lot of talent -- it's really hard to take your eyes off him, when he's performing, which is really important.

However, if I were the band, and I were lookig at 32-year-old guy who is still somewhat insecure and misguided, I think I'd have serious reservations, no matter what his talent level.... Talent really isn't all you need to succeed. I actually don't even think that it's *most* of what you need to succeed.... Being insecure and misguided can derail your talent pretty easily, and I think that's a significant worry with JD, especially since he's already over 30 and therefore might be assumed to have had pretty much oppotunity to quell some of his more dicey emotional issues. I think it's hard to blame INXS if they're doubtful about his ability to do so in the context of their big-deal, dicey comeback attempt.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I think record companies might be very willing to get all over someone young, good-looking with a growing fanbase. Good luck to him, I say.
    It's interesting that we're perceiving JD as young, when he's a couple of years older than Bo Bice and Constantine Maroulis on American Idol, who many people consider close to over-the-hill when it comes to being picked up by record labels as new artists....

FORT Fanatic
    32 isn't old in rock...only Pop music. CI and AI are definitely looking for pop stars.

Remember Cobain, Hendrix, Joplin were all 27 and relatively new to the rock world when they died.

No idea why the dead rock stars came to mind...

Speaking of age:

J.D.!

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Speaking of age:

J.D.!
    I know! I changed my avatar in his honor.

Hey LaGuy, did you attend the results show? Any inside knowledge on who INXS has chosen? You're the best!

FORT Fan
    Wow! Judging from the number of postings on this thread, JD is easily the most liked or most hated by the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I know! I changed my avatar in his honor.

And I enjoy looking at it too.

+ Reply to Thread