+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: J.D.

FORT Regular
    I don't see how JD's "hateability" is going to spin into a positive. People who dislike him may notice him on a reality show but will definitely not pay to buy an album he sings on or see him live. Also, his real talent is definitely not in the spotlight, not as a performer, but behind the scenes, writing/arranging. He's really not that great a performer or singer.

Quote Originally Posted by jjj5
    I don't see how JD's "hateability" is going to spin into a positive. People who dislike him may notice him on a reality show but will definitely not pay to buy an album he sings on or see him live. Also, his real talent is definitely not in the spotlight, not as a performer, but behind the scenes, writing/arranging. He's really not that great a performer or singer.
    And thus the reason that there are so many artists out there...one person's monet is another person's circular file. I LOVE the way JD sings and performs and I also love his creativity.

I like MiG and Marty as well, just not as much. Can't stand Jordis much, and Ty...eh.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

I like JD too...I personally don't see any *hateability*. I like his creativity, his innovation, and his performances. Incidentally, I don't find him in the least bit attractive, physically. (I think Marty is more attractive. JMO. )

I listened to his radio performance of Mystify and it appears he CAN sing a song without re-interpreting it. The winner needs to be able to do INXS but not sound like a carbon copy of Michael Hutchence...it's a fine line to walk. Sammy Hagar did it with Van Halen (I hate Sammy Hagar, but he did a great job replacing David Lee Roth as frontman). I think JD is completely capable of doing it, and he's proven he can be an important contributor, creatively.

I personally prefer Marty's style and vocals, but I think JD has earned a spot in the final three.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I like JD too...I personally don't see any *hateability*.

I was referring to all the negative perceptions about him that many have and that are referred to in several posts above, and disagreeing with the assertions above that viewers' negative reactions to him will translate into marketability, or more record or concert tik sales. I don't think they will. - The viewers who like him may support his future work, but those that don't like him certainly won't, although they may like to criticize him on the boards.

Okay...I have a problem. I must have listened to JD's Mystify about 100 times now( thanks for the link)! Were all the contestants in the studio that day? Did they all get to sing? Who was playing keyboards and guitar in the background? Can someone fill me in...or at least send to a JD addicts meeting. This song is seriously disrupting my work. Help!
    Out. for. a. walk... Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes
    Okay...I have a problem. I must have listened to JD's Mystify about 100 times now( thanks for the link)! Were all the contestants in the studio that day? Did they all get to sing? Who was playing keyboards and guitar in the background? Can someone fill me in...or at least send to a JD addicts meeting. This song is seriously disrupting my work. Help!
    Totally understand! JD and Suzie got to sing with INXS (all of them) on a local LA radio station. Others selected at random are supposed to do the same thing this week on another station. (See the INXS blog on their website for details)

I've listened to it that often as well. It is AWESOME.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Thank You!...(must listen to song again...)
    Out. for. a. walk... Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I like JD too...I personally don't see any *hateability*. I like his creativity, his innovation, and his performances. Incidentally, I don't find him in the least bit attractive, physically. (I think Marty is more attractive. JMO. )

I listened to his radio performance of Mystify and it appears he CAN sing a song without re-interpreting it. The winner needs to be able to do INXS but not sound like a carbon copy of Michael Hutchence...it's a fine line to walk. Sammy Hagar did it with Van Halen (I hate Sammy Hagar, but he did a great job replacing David Lee Roth as frontman). I think JD is completely capable of doing it, and he's proven he can be an important contributor, creatively.

I personally prefer Marty's style and vocals, but I think JD has earned a spot in the final three.

A-Jane I agree his performance of Mystify proves he can sing without reworking a song. The first time I heard it I thought I was listening to
    Michael H. It was spot on. I think once they get down to lets say the final
    3, they will have to compete against each other singing INXS songs and
    JD will blow them away. Of course we haven't heard Mig sing any yet.
    I don't think Marty has the range or style to fit this band imo.

lei
    FORT Fogey
    he may not have the best voice and his personality is...er...controversial, but i find him the most interesting to watch. unless OBINXS wants to really change direction, he's the best fit.

(i like mig and marty too. and i'm sorry to say i'm in the "can't fathom a female fronting them" camp.)

Quote Originally Posted by discomama111
    A-Jane I agree his performance of Mystify proves he can sing without reworking a song.

...course we haven't heard Mig sing any yet.
    Well, I just listened to a duet by MiG and Jordis on Mystify that was on the radio today. It's really rather painful. Jordis is flat, and MiG is just appalling...

J.D.'s version is immeasureably better -- as is his duet with Suzie on Never Tear Us Apart.

+ Reply to Thread