+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by SpilltheBeans
    The editing may have accentuated his behavior but the camera is still recording his actions. The tension may not all be his fault, but when there is tension, it usually seems like he is in the middle.

RBN:INXS claims they don't care about the backstage stuff, and if it's true, they either are not looking for a long-term front person or they aren't thinking the whole thing through. Most likely they are concerned about personality. What's one of the biggest reasons succesful bands break up or remove members? Creative differences and incompaitble personalities--basically they can't get along. You see it all the time.
    The camera is recording his actions, but they have been awfully mild to make a villian out of him. Granted they might be the best moments of villany they have, but really they have amounted to a couple of foolish statements, and an instance of marginally petulant behavior. The camera has also recorded some buddy-buddy moments with JD and some of the others, and our intrepid reporter LAGuy has informed us of more. So I'm not ready to buy the villian thing. I agree that OBINXS has to be concerned about personality. I know when we hire at our company its all about the personality, they have to fit in, so that has to come in to it. But I just don't think JD has shown himself to be that bad. Not yet anyways.
    meh...

Most likely they are concerned about personality. What's one of the biggest reasons succesful bands break up or remove members? Creative differences and incompaitble personalities--basically they can't get along. You see it all the time.
    Absolutely agree. I think that's the whole purpose for having the contestants stay together in a house.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Newbie

JD is the "bad guy de jour.....for the moment!"

The editing may have accentuated his behavior but the camera is still recording his actions. The tension may not all be his fault, but when there is tension, it usually seems like he is in the middle.

RBN:INXS claims they don't care about the backstage stuff, and if it's true, they either are not looking for a long-term front person or they aren't thinking the whole thing through. Most likely they are concerned about personality. What's one of the biggest reasons succesful bands break up or remove members? Creative differences and incompaitble personalities--basically they can't get along. You see it all the time.

and I for one really can't stand him! I couldn't stand constantine (on that other show) either, so maybe for me it's just the general ick factor of overly-ambitious marginally talented guys that rubs me the wrong way!

Hi all.... I lurk no more.... I'd like to say thanks to the person who posted the link to JD and INXS doing "Mystify." As a fan of JD <ducking for cover as the peanut gallery throws tomatoes>, I have to say that even I am surprised at how good this performance is. I actually have a hard time believing it is him, as he is so subtle. I know that the band seems to like him from their postings in the blog and their comments, but I wonder if something like this will "help him" when he hits the bottom three? I'd like to hear the duet as well if someone has a link.

This performance also shows why 1) the idea of an all accoustic night would be good, and 2) why they should sing INXS songs when they do it, and 3) have the band assign the songs. You would be able to hear the true potential of the voice and the "pitch" that only seems to matter if the band doesn't like you, you would be able to hear if they can sing the damn music the public is going to pay to see, and finally, why they need to be assigned: SO NO ONE CAN HIDE IN THEIR COMFORT ZONE.

I liked MiG, but he always sings the same kind of thing (which is why he should have kept Crazy this week). I'm bored now. Deanna doesn't do it for me, but I'd like to see her sing something poppy INXS to see if she would know what to do with it. Jessica needs something with soul to see if she can handle it (3rd grade? Please!). And so on.

Anyway, thanks for the great forum. It's nice to have a "safe" place to read about my guilty pleasures.

Hello, PurrpleCat! to the Fort! It's always great to see someone come out of lurkdom and join in the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Spite Brigade
    the wile E coyote school of machiavelli
    The funniest thing, bar none, I've read anywhere on FORT.

And back to J.D.'s Mr. Resentful-pants face, I've been watching him in the crowd shots whilst everyone else is applauding and woo-hooing their compatriots receiving accolades. He just does not take kindly to anyone other than himself being well-received.
    Last edited by Rattus; 08-12-2005 at 03:45 PM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie

JD's radio performance of Mystify

It seems like people are looking for this radio performance & I don't know if it's just something with my computer, but I at any rate was able to follow this link...

http://www.rockstargohome.com/rockst...y%20-%20JD.mp3

... from www.rickey.com/blog, in the Rickey's Links column, so I hope it works on other people's computers, too (-- it seems folks have found links that are supposed to lead to these mp3s are disabled).

I think he sounds great here-- I wish he would put this kind of subtlety and sincerity into his Tuesday performances (esp. listen to how nicely he comes down after the bridge and manages to close out the song quite sweetly: I was like WHO is this?!) but now I'm thinking maybe his problems (performance-wise, that is ;-) ) are just like any artist who puts down good tracks in the studio but just... sounds... different in live shows.

... Oops, just submitted this, & then scrolled up & saw in PurpleCat's last entry that someone apparently posted this performance already: sorry!!
    Last edited by sun_up; 08-12-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sun_up
    I think he sounds great here-- I wish he would put this kind of subtlety and sincerity into his Tuesday performances (esp. listen to how nicely he comes down after the bridge and manages to close out the song quite sweetly: I was like WHO is this?!) but now I'm thinking maybe his problems (performance-wise, that is ;-) ) are just like any artist who puts down good tracks in the studio but just... sounds... different in live shows.

... Oops, just submitted this, & then scrolled up & saw in PurpleCat's last entry that someone apparently posted this performance already: sorry!!
    No problem. As you know, I agree with your critique of the song. Your point about how people sound different live is interesting as I have found that sometimes I need to follow Simon Cowell's advice <ducking again> and close my eyes when I listen to the performances on CBS. So many of the performers annoy me with their facial ticks/clothes/so-called-dancing that it is easiest to assess their talent by listening and NOT looking. Even if it is TV.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin
    :

Ouch. Wait- Suzie is a "mom rocker"? She's 28! If your mom is around that, does your teacher know you're surfing during nap time?
    I didn't read any of their bios until today. When I came to Suzies and saw she was 28, I almost spit my diet coke on the computer. Come ON! If she is 28, then I'm Oprah Winfrey.
    Dh and I both said she was at LEAST 5 years older than that.

And yes, she and Deanna both look like those new Mom Rock groups profiled on one of the morning news shows a few weeks ago.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    I'm a big Stones fan. Been to see them, got their CD's (and albums from the olden days) and have read a few books about them. Best one was Aging Gods: Almost Dead. And I have to say this from my years of seeing them on tv and listening to them and reading about them.
    Mick Jagger is a huge, self-centered, egotistical ass. BUT.......... The Stones have been around for 43 years, they all have so much money they couldn't possibly ever spend it all. Even for men in their 60's, this current tour is sold out. SOOOOOOO
    Being a jerk and being vain (Oh, forgot Carly Simon has a song about Mick) have worked well for him. He and Keith have had their moments where they did NOT get along and apparantly that was practically any time they were together.

JD acting like he does is NOTHING new to Rock and probably not to INXS either. I'm sure they have met a lot of other people in Rock and found out for themselves, who's an ass and who isn't. Ultimately for them, its going to be: who is going to go out there, sing the songs and help us draw in the fans so that the money starts rolling in. If the public likes him, the band will do well to have him as their frontman. Besides I hightly doubt they all travel on teh same tour bus anyway. They are a big enough group that each member of the band has his own. Which means, they'll put JD with the roadies. LOL!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread