+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: J.D.

giz
    They may decide he's not right for our band INXS, but days later I'm still humming The Letter and I enjoyed his performance, he was right into it, he looked comfortable, it didn't look calculated (something I'm aware of when watching Ty and MiG), and it looked like he was having fun. Is he a nice guy? Who knows? Is he the best performer in the world? No, but he's pretty good and fun to watch (except for the Queen disaster, and man that was painful).

Ace
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    (except for the Queen disaster, and man that was painful.)
    He has no range (that's why he couldn't handle "We Are the Champions"). And if they're looking to replace Hutchence's contributions to the lyrics, they won't get anything usable out of that mimbo. He's also a boring interview (as most airheads are). Personally, I think his dancing is horrible, too. Have I mentioned that I don't like J.D.?

Don't hold back, Ace, tell us how you really feel.

He's quite the character, though...that thing with the "human" "being" tattoos last night was hysterical. My husband and I were howling. And his song arrangements are really creative and interesting...I'm looking forward to seeing how Susie makes out with his suggestions on Losing My Religion (another one of my all-time favourite songs).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

giz
    Ah jees, you guys are hard. He's not a very efficient villian, and he seem did upset at the thought that someone didn't like him. He's a little flaky, and tries to be Macchiavellian, but then again it is a contest, not a show about who would make the best new friend for INXS. Makes me think the people who are judging him harshly haven't met very many people who are good at being mean! But, yeah, you're right Ace, his range does seem limited.

Ah jees, you guys are hard. He's not a very efficient villian, and he seem did upset at the thought that someone didn't like him. He's a little flaky, and tries to be Macchiavellian, but then again it is a contest, not a show about who would make the best new friend for INXS. Makes me think the people who are judging him harshly haven't met very many people who are good at being mean! But, yeah, you're right Ace, his range does seem limited.
    If he seemed upset that someone, Mig finally admitted it, didn't like him what do you expect to happen when Susie sees a tape of how he manipulated her with the song choice last week. Trying to make it look as if he was doing her a favor, while all along getting what he wanted. Smart, I guess, but Villianous none the less.

Ah jees, you guys are hard. He's not a very efficient villian, and he seem did upset at the thought that someone didn't like him. He's a little flaky, and tries to be Macchiavellian, but then again it is a contest, not a show about who would make the best new friend for INXS.
    But it's a singing contest, not a "be a weasel" contest.

Has Survivor and its waves of successors corrupted us so much that the default assumption is that all contests are simply about being the best manipulator? The idea that talent contests are primarily about talent FAR precedes the Reality TV genre, and the defense I keep seeing over and over again--that we should sit back and accept a lack of morality in all Reality TV contestants--makes no sense to me in the context of a talent contest. Not that performers have a requirement to be moral (far from it, with a Rock & Roller), but neither does it make sense that the environment becomes an automatic excuse for them. In other words, it doesn't matter if J.D. is a snake if he performs the best. But it also doesn't excuse him to an extent where I, for one, am willing to sit back and chalk his idiocy up to him living up to the conditions of the contest.

I actually agree he's not a great villain. But he's a supercilious, insincere, shallow, self-important unlikeable git. And he showboats when he peforms.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I try not to take reality tv very seriously...there are always the "good guys" (Rupert, Ethan, MiG, etc.) and the "bad guys" (J.FP, Boston Rob, J.D.) - it's tv, for pity's sake. Sometimes I love the bad guys, sometimes I hate the good guys...it's manufactured storytelling, and I try not to fall into the trap. For me, for this show, it's the singing. I happen to love what J.D. does on the stage, he cracks me up, he's sexy, I like the arrangements and how some things work and some things DON'T (WATC) - whatever, he's cool, what he says and does in the mansion doesn't bother me.

FORT Newbie
    J.D. doesn't really bother me either. His strategy is a bit misplaced for this contest. He should just rely on and improve his talent as strategy. Doesn't mean he has to be part of the lovefest, which strikes me as a bit phony. He has issues but he doesn't incite the hate in me that he does others. I also like him musically. Him and Susie are my two favorites. I also like Deanna, actually liked her better in the earlier shows. None of the frontrunners. MIg, Marty or JOrdis do anything for me.

giz
    Krom, I'm not saying being on a reality tv show excuses any bad behaviour, just that if he were in the business-world, being sneaky or grasping or whatever would be expected, and I don't think we can expect these people to be better than people in the "real world". Post-Watergate, I'm suprised anyone expects decent behaviour from anyone. I was 9 when that erupted, and it sure as hell coloured my world-view. As Sweetpea and Libra40 pointed out, it's manufactured (to a certain extent, god knows what the rest might be doing that we're not seeing), and it just doesn't seem getting real worked up about (when there's really bad people out there, people who do things worse than - gasp - lie about song choice!)

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    He has no range (that's why he couldn't handle "We Are the Champions"). And if they're looking to replace Hutchence's contributions to the lyrics, they won't get anything usable out of that mimbo. He's also a boring interview (as most airheads are). Personally, I think his dancing is horrible, too. Have I mentioned that I don't like J.D.?

If he could do only songs whose vocal arrangements and requirements were like Hand In My Pocket (which I just saw for the 1st time) then JD would be fine.

+ Reply to Thread