+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I just wanted to mention how much I like the three judges on this show. They are pleasant, collaborative with each other, respectful toward the contestants, and actually seem to be having fun as they listen and evaluate the performers. Those other three judges from that other show could take some lessons.

Jessica, Melissa, and Matthew were awesome as a group tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet
    I just wanted to mention how much I like the three judges on this show. They are pleasant, collaborative with each other, respectful toward the contestants, and actually seem to be having fun as they listen and evaluate the performers. Those other three judges from that other show could take some lessons.

Jessica, Melissa, and Matthew were awesome as a group tonight!
    Amen! I love Mona, Teena, and Dallas. And you are right that Jessica, Melissa, and Matthew stood out. They made the song their own, but they didn't totally ignore the words or the spirit of it.

[QUOTE=Mariner]Amen! I love Mona, Teena, and Dallas.

Me too! Dallas especially because he seems like he is really pulling for them to do well, not just waiting to pounce if they stumble. Mona's a little more reserved but was loving her some RBountry last night. Teena I just don't know about yet. She hasn't said much but also seemed to enjoy last nights performances as well as getting a kick out of Matthew and Nic at the school challange.

Teena's pretty quiet. I guess that's why Melissa got compared to her. But yeah, I like the judges too.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Is no one watching this show? In the short time its been on it has become one of my favorites and I don't even listen to rap much. However, to my (untrained) eye, these kids seem so much more talented than anyone I've seen on AI. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the AIers (I miss you George!) but Jessica, Eddie and Akil just blow me away. I am always surprised to see how few messages have been left here.

It's funny you mention that. This is not a show I thought I would like. I do not like rap music at all. There is a much deeper level of talent here. The kids have to be able to write, sing, and have moves to perform--pretty much at the drop of a hat. It's do-or-die for them, and they are being thrown into the reality of the music business, i.e., it's not all fun and games. It just isn't a contrived show for advertising the show's sponsors (other than Missy).

Jessica, Eddie, Akil, Marcus, and Matthew (surprisingly) have all impressed me. I especially like the fact that we have been shown enough about the contestants to feel that we "know" them outside of their stage personas.

Personally, I'm tired of the shtick known as American Idol. To those not watching the show . . . give it a try; you might be surprised.

To be honest, I was rather apprehensive about my recapping duty. As it turns out, I thoroughly enjoy the show. A lot of the remaining contestants have real talent and the performance challenges are really challenging. It's not about singing some song you've been practicing all week knowing you'll be performing it in front of three judges who seem more interested in busting each other's chops than they are the talent of the performers.

Ok, I have to admit that I'm an avid ANTM fan who got into the routine of watching UPN on Wednesday nights. I watched the first episode with incredibly low expectations, and so far, I have been pleasantly surprised.

The contestants actually have talent. Some of them more so then others. Jessica, Mathew, Marcus, and Akil have been my favorites from the beginning. I have to say that most of the MCs haven't really impressed me a ton.

I've noticed the format is pretty much the same as ANTM. They have a small challenge and then big performance challenge. The judges then evalute etc. Even the judging panel is very ANTMesque:
    Tina Marie = Janice (the slightly faded ex-star)
    Dallas Austin = Nigel (behind the scenes star maker)
    Mona = Nole (been in the business for a while and nows who will be a star)

I hope as the show goes on we really get to know some of their personalities a bit better. Right now we are only skimming the top.

Last night I was very impressed by Jessica, Melissa, and Mathew. They took the song and made it sound beautiful. Very impressive.

That whole scene at the bar reminded me a bit of the Blues Brothers when the played the country bar behind chicken wire. Its not easy to win a country western crowd over.
    "To be is to do"--Socrates.
    "To do is to be"--Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do"--Frank Sinatra

I'm the queen of misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Board at work
    That whole scene at the bar reminded me a bit of the Blues Brothers when the played the country bar behind chicken wire. Its not easy to win a country western crowd over.
    Great minds think alike. Check out the end of last week's recap.

I'm following the crowd. Now I love AI, but these contestants are true performers. There's more grit to their material, more competition, being real rather than fake.

It's funny that most of us have the same favorites-- Jessica, Akil, Marcus, and Matthew. I didn't notice Eddie until last night, but yes, he brought it.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast