+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Judge - Teena Marie

Judge - Teena Marie

[IMG]images/img/caeTeena.jpg[/IMG]

An influential and respected R& B singer/songwriter/producer/performer, Grammy Award-nominated Teena Marie recently released her first CD of all-new material in ten years, entitled "La Doņa", with Cash Money Classics/Universal Records, to widespread critical acclaim and chart-topping Billboard sales. The lead single from the album, "Still In Love," recently hit Number One on urban adult contemporary radio. The album also features Gerald Levert, MC Lyte, Medusa, Baby, and a special collaboration with superstar and long-time friend Rick James.

Over the course of her career, Marie has released over 23 original albums and compilations, including the 1984 hit album "Starchild," featuring the crossover smash "Lovergirl," and 1988's "Naked to the World," with the number one single "Ooo La La La."

Born Mary Christine Brockert in Santa Monica, California, Marie starred in a number of television commercials, TV pilots and an episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies," before being discovered by Motown in 1975.

In 1982, Marie became an advocate for recording artists of all genres when she spearheaded "The Brockert Initiative," named in her honor. The groundbreaking initiative put strict limitations on the length of artists' contracts with record labels. In 1994, she became an entrepreneur when she launched her own label, Sarai Records, and independently released "Passion Play."

She has toured extensively over the last 10 years to sold-out crowds and is currently preparing a "La Doņa" tour, in support of her new recording.

Marie lives in Los Angeles.

I'm not completely insane quanahg's Avatar
    this woman can sang. and, she has knowledge in this business. the kids should really listen to what she has to say.

i love teena marie.

She made one of my fav songs of all time, Deja Vu.
    Annoy a conservative: think for yourself.
    Myrosiedog

FORT Fan
    I never really knew that much about her, but I will definitely enjoy getting to know her on the show. One weird thing, though - it says she is from Southern California, but I really thought I detected a Southern drawl in her voice. Perhaps she spent a number of years living down South, and it kind of rubbed off on her. Some people are accent sponges.

+ Reply to Thread