+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Your Weather NOW!

I don't know if it is really illegal, but I feel bad for the guys that stay out on the floor all day. I at least get to come back to my lovely air conditioned office. I do know that we don't allow the guys to work for more than 30 minutes at a time without taking a 10 minute cool down break. And we provide ice, filtered water, gatorade, and drink bottles. Still, we have already had 2 pass out from heat exhaustion this summer...Crazy.
    Here comes Avery! April 10, 2006

Oh....that sounds pretty decent. At least management tries to keep their worker hydrated and not over cooked.
    Who has the best job in the heat of summer? Life Guards? Workers in freezer places? Golf Pros?

Premium Member
    Stinking Hot here too. The little pictures on the Weather Bug forecast have a little cactus on them. I guess that means desert-like heat here in Nebraska. It's only 91 here (only... ) but the heat index is 105.

It was still 82 degrees when I got home this morning, and the humidity is ridiculous...It will be 100+ by Sunday here, with humidity approaching 100%... but at least it's a break from floods and torrential thunderstorms.
    Thank God for air conditioners.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    Isn't there a legal limit to the temperature you have to work in? I thought there were laws regarding this. Its been a record breaking hot summer here, and I wondered how people who work in pizza joints or bakeries have managed. They can't expect people to work til they drop dead like they did a hundred years ago.
    I don't know...when I was in college, I got a summer job in a factory that made plastic buckets, and the those huge tanks of molten plastic kept it hot as the hinges of hell in there, no ac, a 15 minute break every two hours, at which time even if you went outside it was Georgia in August so no relief; it was HELL, and the management did not care at all. You would be working in a puddle of your own sweat, while constantly drinking water. I stayed about a month and got violently ill one night, and was forbid to leave...I quit on the spot. I went to the doctor and found, surprise, I was dangerously dehydrated.
    It gets really hot where I work now too, but we do at least have a break room we can go in to cool off!
    Last edited by queenb; 07-23-2005 at 06:48 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

What happens when someone does drop dead right on the spot at work when its this hot? I always thought that working conditions had improved considerably over the last 40 or 50 years. Years ago I worked in an office for high school work experience. On very hot days they would hand out salt tablets to the workers in the factory, and guys from the union were constantly monitoring the temp out there. If it got over a certain mark, they would shut down for rest of the day.

Premium Member
    We are having unusually low humidity today, only 28%. So even though it's 100 degrees outside the heat index is only 103.

The weather this summer has been terrific and I sure hope it continues. Lots of hot humid weather, love it

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    It's unusually warm here right now. It's been in the 70s today and yesterday and at one point today it was 79 degrees. It's a nice break from all the summer fog.

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic
    Wow! As I type this, we're at 99 degrees here in Arizona. Under 100 degrees? brrrrrrrrrrrr

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    It's gorgeous here today.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread