+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top five favorite bands right now

Oh Look, A Farce! MysticalChicken's Avatar

Top five favorite bands right now

This is NOT the same as the "top five favorite songs" thread.

Explanations are optional.

5. The Inklings - This is one of those bands that not many people know about, I don't think. Googling them gets me one result for the band, their official site, theinklingsmusic.com, on which you can stream the entire album for free. Think Breeders meets Bettie Serveert with a chick who sounds vaguely like Natalie Merchant on vocals. I first heard them on my Pandora station.

4. Colours Run - I think about half a dozen people in America know about this band. They're from Manchester and they're not even signed. Lovely melodic piano-driven dark indie rock. Also, the band members, especially the lead singer, Tim Cameron, post quite often on the message board at coloursrun.com/forum

3. Buffalo Tom - I first heard this band only a month or two ago, on The Bottom Forty, a radio program here in Portland which plays on 94.7 FM Sunday nights at 8 pm PST. I am now pretty much obsessed. Early 90s alternative guitar-rock.

2. The Decemberists - Okay, if you haven't at least heard of The Decemberists, you need to give me a tour of the cave in which you've been living.

1. The Arcade Fire - Absolutely gorgeous, fantastic, wonderful, beautiful orchestral indie-rock. I can't smother enough superlative accolades on them. They're coming to Portland on May 27th but tickets sold out in practically an eyeblink. My only hope now is to win them off the radio or something.
    "Don't piss off the chicken gods. :nono" -Stargazer (on Lydia, Steph and Danni eating the sacrificial chicken on Survivor)

Re: Top five favorite bands right now

Hehe, we both have the same top 2 bands I only have 4.

1. Arcade Fire
    2. The Decemberists
    3. My Chemical Romance
    4. The Cure
    Renee: ďYou can think Iím mean, you can think Iím rude, but thatís my opinion, and Iím going to voice it.Ē

Van Halen
    Def Leppard
    Chicago
    Nickelback
    Daughtry

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    Mr. Bungle
    The Band
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse
    The Dirty Three

I Is Stephanie

Nickelback--I don't know, my bud Craig introduced me to them 3 years ago, and it was like suddenly the world was a little hotter (if you've seen these guys, they're GORGEOUS! (of couse, this only pertains to post-All The Right Reasons photos, much before that is very 90's...) However, I didn't stumble upon pictures of these 4 buddies until a few months ago...I really got to know the music and sound first, and I definitely liked just the music. Saw them in concert, and I have to say, Chad Kroeger's (lead vocalist) voice was off that night, but it was still beyond amazing, that's how good they are! And I could go on for hours about them, my friends had to forcefully snap my CDs to get me away from them...

Three Days Grace--Also saw them in concert. I didn't really know them, but I've found that over time, they grow on you. I keep meaning to get into underground music, and I guess that at this point, they're becoming mainstream, but it's a start. They have a lot of headbangin' songs where you just turn up the bass all the way and let yourself lose control, while all the songs on their lastest album are about drug addiction, the lyrics are so general that you can use them for just about everything!

Breaking Benjamin--And yes, I saw them in concert, too. Can't really explain them, you either like them or you don't. I'd recommend them, but only if you're into the underground alternative scene. If not, they probably won't do much for you.

Daughtry--I hope to see them in concert with Nickelback this summer. (Sensing a theme here?) What can be said? They're Daughtry.

And any other band whose lyrics captivated me so much that I took the time to learn them.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2432850;
    Van Halen
    Def Leppard
    Chicago
    Nickelback
    Daughtry
    Pretty darn good list you have there BoBoFan

I'd probaby make my list:
    Van Halen
    Kiss
    Daughtry
    Chicago
    Cowboy Mouth
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Oh Look, A Farce! MysticalChicken's Avatar

A little update, since my favorite bands keep switching around and getting usurped:

5. Cold War Kids (I listened to Robbers and Cowards literally about two or three dozen times in the course of a week. It's brilliant.)
    4. Bettie Serveert (although according to my last.fm they're my second-favorite band, because I can't stop listening to Bare Stripped Naked. I also want Palomine, Attagirl, and possibly Log 22.)
    3. The Decemberists
    2. Colours Run
    1. Arcade Fire, and I was able to go to the concert in May. I bought my ticket at face-value from a guy who couldn't go to the show. The concert was absolutely fantastic, AND Colin Meloy from the Decemberists was there, outside the venue, standing not arm's length from me, facing me. He was there to see the show. And I didn't say anything and I'm still kind of kicking myself over that.
    "Don't piss off the chicken gods. :nono" -Stargazer (on Lydia, Steph and Danni eating the sacrificial chicken on Survivor)

Can I vote for Jo De La Rosa 5 times?
    Ribbitt

These change on whim but currently my favorites are:

1: Daughtry
    2: Collective Soul
    3: Death Cab for Cutie
    4: Ryan Adams
    5: Santana (not really a band, I suppose)

1. Pearl Jam
    2. Metallica
    3. Def Leppard
    4. Led Zepplin
    5. Bare Naked Ladies
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast