This is NOT the same as the "top five favorite songs" thread.
Explanations are optional.
5. The Inklings - This is one of those bands that not many people know about, I don't think. Googling them gets me one result for the band, their official site, theinklingsmusic.com, on which you can stream the entire album for free. Think Breeders meets Bettie Serveert with a chick who sounds vaguely like Natalie Merchant on vocals. I first heard them on my Pandora station.
4. Colours Run - I think about half a dozen people in America know about this band. They're from Manchester and they're not even signed. Lovely melodic piano-driven dark indie rock. Also, the band members, especially the lead singer, Tim Cameron, post quite often on the message board at coloursrun.com/forum
3. Buffalo Tom - I first heard this band only a month or two ago, on The Bottom Forty, a radio program here in Portland which plays on 94.7 FM Sunday nights at 8 pm PST. I am now pretty much obsessed. Early 90s alternative guitar-rock.
2. The Decemberists - Okay, if you haven't at least heard of The Decemberists, you need to give me a tour of the cave in which you've been living.
1. The Arcade Fire - Absolutely gorgeous, fantastic, wonderful, beautiful orchestral indie-rock. I can't smother enough superlative accolades on them. They're coming to Portland on May 27th but tickets sold out in practically an eyeblink. My only hope now is to win them off the radio or something.