+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Judge Lets DiSpirito Enter Restaurant

Judge Lets DiSpirito Enter Restaurant

Judge Lets DiSpirito Enter Restaurant

Tue Jun 8,11:01 PM ET

By SAMUEL MAULL, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A judge gave television chef Rocco DiSpirito permission Tuesday to enter the restaurant that bears his name so he could take photographs of himself for a cookbook to be published this summer.

DiSpirito had to get a court order because China Grill Management, a group of financial backers who say they own Rocco's 22nd Street restaurant, sued him over management of the eatery and barred him from entering.

The chef, who claims he is part-owner of the restaurant, tried to enter Rocco's Tuesday morning for the photo shoot but was stopped. A China Grill lawyer immediately sought a court order to bar DiSpirito permanently.

The lawyer, Laurence Kaiser, argued that in recent months the chef has stolen restaurant property and assaulted its manager.

DiSpirito's lawyer, Stephen Hayes, denied the allegations.

State Supreme Court Justice Ira Gammerman signed an order that let DiSpirito enter Rocco's on Tuesday afternoon and use it as a setting for photos for the book, "Rocco's Italian American Cooking." He ordered DiSpirito to put $500 in escrow to cover any damage he might cause while there.

The judge's order bars DiSpirito from entering Rocco's at any other time without court permission until the legal fight with his financial backers over ownership and control of the restaurant is resolved.

DiSpirito's financial backers sued the chef in February, saying he mismanaged Rocco's and lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. They say they put up $3 million for the Italian eatery, the site and subject of NBC's reality series "The Restaurant."

Instead of the restaurant being the critical and financial success they expected, the investors say, "The quality of the food and service has been widely criticized" and Rocco's has lost "in excess of $600,000."

Meanwhile, China Grill filed suit Tuesday against QVC, the home shopping television show, alleging that DiSpirito had "diverted and stolen" nearly $12,000 worth of food and beverages in March for a QVC luncheon.

China Grill's court papers accused QVC of colluding with DiSpirito, who sells products on the show. Court papers say QVC did not pay Rocco's and has not accounted for the cost of the luncheon.

That lawsuit, separate from one already filed by China Grill against DiSpirito, does not name the chef as a defendant. It seeks $25,000 for breach of contract and $11,948 for goods and services provided at the luncheon.

A telephone operator at QVC's corporate headquarters in West Chester, Pa., said no one was available to comment on the lawsuit.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._en_tv/tv_chef

I didn't know that Rocco was barred from the restaurant. How did I miss that info earlier?

Ironic. He was never around to actually cook or oversee operations when the restaurant was his, but the second he needs it for a PR photo op he's not barred from the establishment. That's rich.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I didn't know he was barred from the restaurant either.
    Although I don't see how it made much difference, as rarely as he was there.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

So, I guess the courts see JC as the owner?

I mean, does Rocco have NO rights?

Maybe JC said he was endangering the restaurant by using wood in the fire and a judge gave him a restraining order or something?

Why couldn't he do the photo shoot in his other restaurant, Union Pacific?
    Last edited by Wenders; 06-10-2004 at 09:57 AM.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

+ Reply to Thread