+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBC: We Were Stupid To Pull Rocco

NBC: We Were Stupid To Pull Rocco

NYPOST:

May 27, 2004 -- NBC says it screwed up by pulling "The Restaurant" off the air too early.
    The series, a follow-up on last summer's hit about restaurant-owner Rocco DiSpirito's travails opening up a new eatery in the Flat Iron district, was yanked after just three episodes earlier this month.

The show had been earning OK-but-not-great ratings in its first few episodes.

"We made a mistake," NBC programming boss Jeff Zucker told reporters yesterday.

"We made too quick of a decision on that," he said "Under some pressure from stations that were not pleased . . . I buckled.

"I regret that I didn't keep 'The Restaurant' on in that time period."

Zucker had reason to be unhappy.

Repeats of "Crossing Jordan" and "Law & Order" actually drew fewer viewers than "The Restaurant" had been averaging.

The show was drawing about 7 million viewers a week on average.

It was a rare admission of error for a network.

The network has rescheduled the final three episodes of "The Restaurant." Two will be broadcast back-to-back this Saturday, and the show's finale will air June 5.

The second batch of episodes of the show chronicles the restaurant's financial woes and Rocco's battles for control with his financial partner, Jeffrey Chodorow.

Oddly enough, the series was yanked off the air the week that Rocco and Jeffrey make a shaky peace mediated by a group of shrinks who'd come to have dinner at the restaurant. Post staff writer
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/21676.htm

It's about time they admitted they blew it. I was just getting interested. Too Bad!!! :phhht

Repeats of "Crossing Jordan" and "Law & Order" actually drew fewer viewers than "The Restaurant" had been averaging.
    Well duh! :rolleyes Who wants to watch repeats?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I think they made Mark Burnett mad by pulling his show.
    Why would you want to do something stupid to the King of Reality TV??????

I disagree with Jeff Zucker. What was stupid was doing a second series in the first place, especially with lawsuits pending.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I disagree with Jeff Zucker. What was stupid was doing a second series in the first place, especially with lawsuits pending.
    Amen to that.

I wouldnt've touched a second series with a ten-foot pole.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

are you kidding , you can't buy publicity like a good old law suit between waring partners up close and on TV(and I understand editing, but humor me here). I think that was one of the reasons why I was tuning in(although I didn't know all that much about the law suit) Guys like a good cat fight, girls like a good "pissing match" between the alpha males. Just my personal oppinion

FORT Regular
    Does anybody know if Rocco's really closed?

No, I think you'll find plenty of posts around here that clearly say that Rocco's is still open, although Rocco is currently barred from the premises.

Quote Originally Posted by ness
    Amen to that.

I wouldnt've touched a second series with a ten-foot pole.

I think that essentially that's the only thing that they could use to go on with this show. So that's what it was built on but i guess it wasn't enough to get over the top ratings. However this was summer programming so they may have jumped the gun in thinking that it was going to be a big success.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast