+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Who's right: Rocco or Jeffrey?

a moron I dunno. Arrogant I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Tony's a cook. If he's in charge of handling numbers, then Rocco's insane.
    lol the irony of this statement. This must make Jeffery the biggest idiot of them all. Toney is a head chefs are managers, responsible for handling those aspects of the kitchens.

VitaMan
    Quote Originally Posted by totalwreckage
    lol the irony of this statement. This must make Jeffery the biggest idiot of them all. Toney is a head chefs are managers, responsible for handling those aspects of the kitchens.
    I'm one of Jeffrey's in-laws...I've known the Chodorows for over 20 years. Jeff is no idiot, nor is he a jerk, as some have asserted. The simple fact is, Jeffrey is a success at whatever he does; these days, he does restaurants, and they're either winners or they get closed quickly. Here in Miami, China Grill is a big success, and Tuscan Steaks (across the street in SoBe) is, too...our favorite place for great steaks. Red Square was a cool concept, but it didn't hit, so he closed it.

Rocco would do well to learn the business from Jeffrey. Jeff is a lot older and a lot smarter, and hello! He's willing to share what he knows with Rocco! Only a fool turns down constructive advice from a wildly successful businessman.
    Last edited by SammyFrom Miami; 06-17-2004 at 03:14 PM. Reason: misspelling

Not to point out the obvious, Sammy, but Jeffrey's SO successful, it bought him an indictment from a federal grand jury and a commuted (with special circumstances) prison sentence.

Now, he has a lot of money, and has obviously made some good decisions, but in the grand scheme of things, he's no better than Rocco. Jeffrey's a calculating businessman willing to do whatever it takes to make money, and Rocco's a less-than-average-intelligence womanizing horndog with no management skills. They're a match made in heaven. Or hell. Take your pick. They belong with each other, if only to keep either one of them from mingling with the rest of society.

Sammi, You have a bit of a biased view towards the situation. Im sure Jefferys wife would come on here and tell us what a great guy he is too, just as Im sure one or roccos in-laws or relatives would say what a great guy he is.

Im basing my opinion soley from what I have watched since I dont know either of those guys. their is always a spin, so my opinions arent personal by any means just reactionary to what I ahve seen.

VitaMan
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Not to point out the obvious, Sammy, but Jeffrey's SO successful, it bought him an indictment from a federal grand jury and a commuted (with special circumstances) prison sentence.

Now, he has a lot of money, and has obviously made some good decisions, but in the grand scheme of things, he's no better than Rocco. Jeffrey's a calculating businessman willing to do whatever it takes to make money, and Rocco's a less-than-average-intelligence womanizing horndog with no management skills. They're a match made in heaven. Or hell. Take your pick. They belong with each other, if only to keep either one of them from mingling with the rest of society.
    What your web searches can't tell you is how Jeffrey came from humble beginnings, that he put himself through college and Penn law school (and subsequently did the same for his sisters and brother), how he made plenty of money in real estate development before he ever became involved in Braniff. What happened there had nothing to do with Jeffrey getting rich.

Better than Rocco? That's a loaded question. I do know that he's a lot wiser and harder-working than Rocco. Jeffrey's not a recreation junkie, he's a workaholic. In business, that's a good thing. Willing to do whatever it takes to make money? If that's working hard, then I agree.

But mostly, Jeffrey's a much better guy than you think. Did you know, for instance, that he pays the rent on (Rocco's) Mama's apartment?

VitaMan
    Sammi, You have a bit of a biased view towards the situation. Im sure Jefferys wife would come on here and tell us what a great guy he is too, just as Im sure one or roccos in-laws or relatives would say what a great guy he is.

Im basing my opinion soley from what I have watched since I dont know either of those guys. their is always a spin, so my opinions arent personal by any means just reactionary to what I ahve seen.
    It's hard for me to understand why anyone would perceive Jeffrey to be the "bad guy" in this affair:

1) He put up all the money, and he continues to foot the bills, even as the restaurant loses money.

2) He's not some piggy investor - he owns over 20 other restaurants and has built a mini-empire in the business from nothing. I can assure you that Jeffrey had no trouble listening to the advice of other, successful restaurateurs as he learned the business.

3) Jeffrey acceded to Rocco's wishes, allowing him a free hand at running the restaurant. Instead of working hard at the business, the consensus at the restaurant is that it's Rocco who's "never around." While Jeffrey worries about the restaurant, Rocco's off signing books and being a celebrity.

4) Jeffrey asks Rocco to please be more involved in the operation of the restaurant. So Rocco fires Tony, who's working his butt off and is playing it right down the middle; his loyalty is to the restaurant, as it should be. (And don't worry about Tony - he's working at another of Jeffrey's restaurants...that's how "bad" a guy Jeffrey is.) How in hell do you fire the hardest working guy at the restaurant?

Celebrity is fleeting; when the thrill of seeing Rocco at the restaurant (even though he's rarely there) wears off, the success of the place will be about business and hard work. No offense, but that's not Rocco.

BTW...I think Jeffrey has recently locked Rocco out of the restaurant...gotta find out what that's all about.

"3) Jeffrey acceded to Rocco's wishes, allowing him a free hand at running the restaurant. Instead of working hard at the business, the consensus at the restaurant is that it's Rocco who's "never around." While Jeffrey worries about the restaurant, Rocco's off signing books and being a celebrity."

Him doing this fills up the Restraunt every night.

"4) Jeffrey asks Rocco to please be more involved in the operation of the restaurant. So Rocco fires Tony, who's working his butt off and is playing it right down the middle; his loyalty is to the restaurant, as it should be. (And don't worry about Tony - he's working at another of Jeffrey's restaurants...that's how "bad" a guy Jeffrey is.) How in hell do you fire the hardest working guy at the restaurant?"

He did this becasue he was going to take over that slot and save 80 Grand on a salary. Both Jeffery and Rocco are to blame, both of them could have handled it differently. Both of them need communication courses. Jeffrey isnt a flower in all of this.

VitaMan
    "

Him doing this fills up the Restraunt every night.
    Early on, sure...what else does Rocco bring to the table (no pun intended)? But these extracurricular activities have no additional value now; like all things that sizzle, they eventually burn out. At that point, substance has to step in and carry what style once supported. A lot of businesses take off and fly initially, supported by nothing more than a bubble... some form of gimmickry that catches the public's fancy. Soon, though, the bubble pops, and the public begins its search for the next "latest thing". That's when the business' success will hinge upon its ability to create profit from its stock in trade - in this case, food and quality service - as well as management's ability to contain costs.

"
    He did this becasue he was going to take over that slot and save 80 Grand on a salary. Both Jeffery and Rocco are to blame, both of them could have handled it differently. Both of them need communication courses. Jeffrey isnt a flower in all of this.
    Remember, you're watching a TV show. You're not seeing everything. Jeffrey is an accomplished attorney...he knows how to communicate. Rocco is the moving target. As far as Rocco stepping in and taking over a salary, you should have seen for yourself that it didn't take long for Rocco to leave the kitchen. I'm sorry, but in that position he needs to be in the kitchen, cooking and/or supervising the others. The kitchen is the heart of the restaurant...Rocco seems more at home among the breasts.

Jeffrey is doing what all strong business people do - he's taking control of a bad situation. Being $600,000 in the red is no small thing, and it will only get worse. Get serious! $600,000 in the hole! How can Jeffrey not step in to stop the bleeding? How much of that $600,000 is Rocco's? Every dime in that place came from Jeffrey. Having now lost Jeffrey $600,000, Rocco continues to think he should be making decisions? He's sulking?

This isn't monopoly money, and it's all about the money. Rocco had his chance, and he blew it.

So anyway, I'm going to put a stop to the discussion here, it seems like a good point. The show's over, and this forum is in archives, which means it's open only for NEW news regarding the contestants, and not rehashing of old debates.

So, let's please not reply to this thread any more - it'll be a waste of time because I'll just delete the post anyway.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789