+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who's right: Rocco or Jeffrey?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    The girl who got the talking to for staring into space didn't get fired.

Also, from what I saw having just watched my tape is - Jeffrey and Rocco agreed that they needed to speak together to the staff, and then Jeffrey said "I'll see you tomorrow morning". They did NOT agree, at least from what we were shown, to speak the next morning to the staff - Jeffrey implied it, but no one came out and said it. Rocco can't be blamed for not picking up the hint.

What I'm curious of, is how spending money on new barstools, new silverware, etc. going to save money? They already have the barstools and silverware, the money's already been spent once. Spending it again doesn't help anything.

Crazy as it seems, I'm starting to side with Rocco after this episode. I never thought I'd ever type that.
    Barstools: The current ones are larger than the ones he is thinking about, He thinks he can get 4 more bodies at the bar. As we all know, bars are cash cows, so thats where this money is coming from.

as for the silverware.... dunno.

What I saw in the whole thing was a real lack of quality communication. On one side you have Jefferey trying to bring the place into profitability, which, no offense to anyone, is his perogative as the 'financial' guy.

Rocco does have a tendancy to put "Rocco Inc." ahead of "Rocco's 22". It made me laugh when he whined to his g/f about how he is so busy trying to make the restaurant successful. But lets look at where his energy is going.

C.I.A. for a lecture/Jury/Award: Mostly for "Rocco Inc." (except for the chef he grabbed for U.P., and maybe roccos)

Book Signings: "Rocco Inc." (could it lead to people in the Restaurant? Who knows)

TV Shows: Rocco Inc.

Soaps: Rocco Inc.

Jefferey talked about making a go at being together in this project, and the very next day he's upstate, for two days. No contact with Jefferey, no nothing.

What is Jefferey to think? Jefferey said 'lets make an announcement together'. In my business mind, my first thought is: 'when? I need to schedule this'.

Although I tend to blame Rocco for his flakeyness, There is some blame to go to Jefferey as well. He knows the Rocco he is dealing with. Jefferey should be on Rocco's butt like white on rice.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

MelCho
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    queeny I agree on some of your points but I also have some different opinions. We have seen such a small sample of what goes on there that it's hard to make a statement on who should have done what, when. Last night I was really impressed with what I saw of Rocco's other restaurant. It seemed so well organized compared to Rocco's 22 which is the most chaotic environment I have ever seen. How do they get ANYTHING done in that mess? What few people they show who are in charge are so snotty to everyone. I wonder why anyone wants to work there. The girl getting fired for looking off into space, them coming alive when customers show up, what was that all about? I was lost.If she was doing her job, who cares where her eyes were? There are just so many questions in my mind. Like Rocco saying he had wanted meetings from the first and Jeffrey was never available. Wonder if there's any truth to that? Jeffrey calling him a liar to his face was a bit much too. (Why couldn't he go behind his back like the rest of us?) HA Then having an entire mob of people to show up to eat and trash the management wouldn't seem to be a very good idea. Why does Jeffrey need a dozen people at every meeting? oh yeah, how'd you like when the chef fixed the sample meals and Jeffrey put that huge glob of food in his mouth? Wasn't that attractive?
    I have been thinking about that too - his other establishment, Union Pacific, has done quite well, and seems to be run well. Rocco opened it, what 7 or so years ago when he was even less experienced than he is now. So, I dunno what to think or who is to blame. Maybe its just a bad partnership all around and they do not make a good business match. In any event, legal proceedings are still happening because Rocco was just discussing it on a local radio station in LA about 2 weeks ago, and boy was he HEATED!!!

live on a small farm new england originally from Sweden-English is my second language.
    hasving worked in the chaotic world of mismanaged restaraunts as a mere waitress I am having horible flash backs watching Jeffrey take over the restaraunt and bringing in his own people to make it more efficient. Yes, the best way to organize and streamline is to add more people to the mix who have no intention of helping or fixing anything-that english lady is such a bag of hot corporate air , condescending and completley oblivious to the rerality of how a freakin restaraunt is actually run! Talks over everybody and dismisses worker input-Oh lord I can feel my neck start to twitch and stiffen up-
    And palese Jeffrey what is up with your littte posse of synchophants sitting with you at every meal? And please chew with your mouth closed. And you best not screw with a menu that has sentimental reasoning behind it. Gawd, these corporate types make me break out in hives-
    I never thought I'd feel bad for Rocco, but I do....I feel worse for the people on the front lines caught in the middle of "which dog can mark the biggest territory " routine.
    Tim Wakefield is knuckleriffic

I think 7 years ago Rocco was hungry at making it as a NYC chef. He took his time and didn't believe his own press(well mainly because he didn't have any..) now he has spread himself too thinly and has lost focus of his priorities.

And Muhda, I agree with you, there was a different vibe at UP. it could have to do with less pressure, no Rocco,Mama and the Drama, no JC and the "Crew", but perhaps there was only 20 people booked a night, vs 250.

We can only make observation based on what we see and hear.....on TV

dumb question, sorry

could the bar stool and silverware be rented? No, then could they be sold for cash.

About Rocco being upstate for two days...That is why he has a manager for the restaurant,it seems to me that the boss does not even have to be there more than an hour a day or even every couple of days.(I have worked MANY years in this biz!)
    Patrons are probably stealing the silver, so I would say replace with sterling silver as the need arises.Jeffry is a real downer to the staff and should stay away. Rocco should hire some more efficient MANAGERS!
    I believe he would have to buy Rocco out to get rid of him...so all of this 'bringing in his own people' is a big mistake,unless Rocco approves of them.
    Last edited by waypast40; 05-11-2004 at 03:22 PM.
    :

I am not afraid of dying....I just don't want to be there when it happens!

I just wanted to add that there is such a thing as OVER STAFFING..you know the old saying .."Too many cooks spoil the broth"? Well too many staff members fall all over each other and gossip too much.
    :

I am not afraid of dying....I just don't want to be there when it happens!

Who's right? Jeffrey or Rocco?

Good question! And great observations from other posters, I might add. The first episode, I was all on Jeffrey and thought Rocco was an idiot who mismanaged his restaurant. The second episode, I was all on Rocco and saw his value to the restaurant by promoting himself and thought Jeffrey was an idiot to think he could just replace Rocco. Afterall, the patrons are there to see Rocco and I don't think they would be there if there were no Rocco. It would just be another restaurant. Now with the third episode, I'm back on Jeffrey's side with Rocco saying he wanted a joint meeting with the staff and see you tomorrow line when he knew he would be out of town. What's with that? So, if the routine continues, next week, I'll be back on Rocco's side! Today - Jeffrey is right in trying to do whatever is necessary to save his investment.

Quote Originally Posted by waypast40
    I just wanted to add that there is such a thing as OVER STAFFING..you know the old saying .."Too many cooks spoil the broth"? Well too many staff members fall all over each other and gossip too much.
    Well duh! Obviously

FORT Regular
    Jeffery's people have no people skills at all. They need to take a course in interpersonal skills. They are arrogant just like Jeffery

+ Reply to Thread