+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who's right: Rocco or Jeffrey?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    And I don't really "buy" all the drama...it's so dang forced it seems. This is how it seemed last year too.
    Yeah, that's pretty much my point. It's so forced, that it's obviously drama created by the players(Rocco, Jeffrey) for the sake OF drama. "Let's create our own reality!"
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Yeah, that's pretty much my point. It's so forced, that it's obviously drama created by the players(Rocco, Jeffrey) for the sake OF drama. "Let's create our own reality!"
    In that McLuhanesque drama that is 'Videodrome' I recall a line
    "TV is reality and reality is less than tv"

Prophesy, I say.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by daysee8
    Regarding the costs, place being full, etc ... I've heard in many places that the place has NOT been full all the time since opening. It was really busy right after the first season aired, but it sounds like business has dropped off since then. Does it surprise me that ROcco and Chodorow would both say on TV "IT's full all the time" if it's not? No! They're both blowhards.
    yeah, I visited NYC last year while the show was airing(but, obviously, after filming was completed) and went to Bolo--Bobby Flay's restaurant on 22nd, half a block away from Rocco's. We walked by Rocco's, and it was hardly full. No line for sure, and it seemed like it just wasn't very busy inside. And this was on a saturday during prime dinner hours.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Ok, that was my assumption then. My apologies.
    as for Old Pucky boy, I don't think he is doing OK, considering he just closed his Seattle Restaurant.
    Wolfgang Puck had a restaurant here? Damn. Maybe I missed it because I'm still waiting for a table at Wild Ginger.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Wolfgang Puck had a restaurant here? Damn. Maybe I missed it because I'm still waiting for a table at Wild Ginger.
    yeah, it was on First and ... a block or so south of the Pike Place Market.

Anyway, Its clear that location and a name only go so far, which is the problem with Rocco's....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Union Pacific is actually doin well, despite having lost a rating star within the last few months (2 stars now, versus the recent 0-star rating of Rocco's 22nd).
    now I know why the place isn't doing so well. but 2 stars is average. there are a lot of great places to eat in NYC. my $$$ wouldn't even consider a 2 star. I'm wondering if there were other chefs the MB went after to do the show, and they declined. Anybody know??

Jeffrey has a good track record from what I can see, I may be wrong, but he can line up the investors .

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde
    Here's one person's opinion: Rocco may be America's sweetheart and a master chef, but doesn't know a thing about managing restaurants. Else, how can you have such a busy restaurant at a posh location running huge losses? The answer in one word is "overspending." There are plenty of examples of overspending at Rocco's: (1) $1.80 per business card (should cost a few cents), (2) flying in a chef from Italy, (3) benefits and 401K for parttime employees, etc. Take it one more step, and this may start looking like a $5000 shower curtain (Dennis Kozlowski, ex Tyco CEO, now in jail for securities fraud), million dollar birthday bash for wife (ex Adelphia CEO, also in jail), lavish bachelor parties (former Enron). Lack of cost controls is the simple reason why many US businesses are uncompetitive in the world economy, forced to fudge up numbers to meet investor expectations, and run otherwise good businesses to dirt.

The previews made Jeffrey Chudoroy look like a villian, but after the first episode, I have a new found respect for this guy. He is doing just what any businessman should do: (1) detect problems before it is too late, (2) audit the numbers to identify the root of the problem, and (3) take remedial steps with minimal disruption. Six months into the restaurant, Jeffrey is seeing a $600,000 loss on a $4 million investment in six months (30% annualized loss), examined the numbers, and trying to right the problem areas without scaring out the employees.

Rocco may sulk in his office and call his lawyer, but this is a mess he created, and neither he nor his lawyer has the ability to fix the mess. Not only is he unaware of the magnitude of the problems, he is spending his time in book signings rather than with his customers (many of whom apparantly come to Rocco's to meet him). Business is a cold hard world. There is always a seperation between ownership and management, but if the management can't perform, they are replaced by the owners. Seems like that's the way it is headed here.

Any other points of view most welcome!
    I don't know about "overspending" (perhaps you're right) since I haven't seen what exactly are in the books but I totally agree with you about the failure of the resturant on Rocco's watch. He's a miserable failure as a "owner" and the sad thing is he doesn't realize it himself. Everyone knows there are problems, even his own mother knows.... except himself.

The funny thing is even if he was to win the legal battle over Jeffery and get 100% ownership of the resturant, if Rocco doesn't smarten up and change the way he is doing things now then the resturant would just be as a dismal failure as what it seems like now. Nothing's going to change except Jeffery's not going to be there to save his behind.

I would expect that if most of the "failure " of the Restaurant has been caught on tape, it would be to the advantage of JC( to use in court proceedings). However, for dramic reasons I'm sure we have been only privy to the truth through the producers eyes. Most of us agree to Roccos apparent lack of hands on work at the restaurant,and we see Rocco blow off meetings with the JC crew, and I can not recall Rocco asking for help from JC with the internal management and finances...... we have only see JC trying at a very late date stepping up to help salvage a sinking boat. I like Jeffrey, his track record shows that he has a very successful restaurant investor/management organization. Rocco said last night at UP that it took him 8 years to work out the bugs and make it a great working enviroment. No doubt. But if it took 8 years to make UP sucessfull.....at the rate of loosing $600,000.00 in a six month time period, OUCH, after 8 years........ $96,000,000.00. I'm thinking Jeffrey is best to take over in all aspects of the investment, by out Roccos 50% and bring in some of the people that have made in money in the past.

queeny I agree on some of your points but I also have some different opinions. We have seen such a small sample of what goes on there that it's hard to make a statement on who should have done what, when. Last night I was really impressed with what I saw of Rocco's other restaurant. It seemed so well organized compared to Rocco's 22 which is the most chaotic environment I have ever seen. How do they get ANYTHING done in that mess? What few people they show who are in charge are so snotty to everyone. I wonder why anyone wants to work there. The girl getting fired for looking off into space, them coming alive when customers show up, what was that all about? I was lost.If she was doing her job, who cares where her eyes were? There are just so many questions in my mind. Like Rocco saying he had wanted meetings from the first and Jeffrey was never available. Wonder if there's any truth to that? Jeffrey calling him a liar to his face was a bit much too. (Why couldn't he go behind his back like the rest of us?) HA Then having an entire mob of people to show up to eat and trash the management wouldn't seem to be a very good idea. Why does Jeffrey need a dozen people at every meeting? oh yeah, how'd you like when the chef fixed the sample meals and Jeffrey put that huge glob of food in his mouth? Wasn't that attractive?
    Last edited by Muduh; 05-11-2004 at 10:45 AM.

The girl who got the talking to for staring into space didn't get fired.

Also, from what I saw having just watched my tape is - Jeffrey and Rocco agreed that they needed to speak together to the staff, and then Jeffrey said "I'll see you tomorrow morning". They did NOT agree, at least from what we were shown, to speak the next morning to the staff - Jeffrey implied it, but no one came out and said it. Rocco can't be blamed for not picking up the hint.

What I'm curious of, is how spending money on new barstools, new silverware, etc. going to save money? They already have the barstools and silverware, the money's already been spent once. Spending it again doesn't help anything.

Crazy as it seems, I'm starting to side with Rocco after this episode. I never thought I'd ever type that.

+ Reply to Thread