+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicolina "Mama" DiSpirito, Executive Chef

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    And you KNOW that they DRAGGED her into it?? Perhaps she was asking questions..........? Either way...who cares. She was being told what needs to change and she was still being adamently against whatever they were recommending. I think SHE was lucky that they even decided to tell her.

You know. I am Catholic. I don't care if it's Peter, Paul and Mary or Huey, Dewey and Louie OR EVEN MOTHER THERESA as a statue!!
    Who the hell needs to have THE MOTHER OF JESUS staring at me while I'm ordering my 4th double shot of Jaggermeister?? For Pete's sake, it's behind a BAR! Who cares if that's the "motif" that they're going for. I THINK it's stupid.
    FYI...these are my opinions...just like you have opinions. No need to blow a blood vessel.

ETA: This thread is about "Mama", and I do not like her attitude.
    My blood circulation is just fine, but thank you for your concern. What was Mama told she needed to change? In the first episode, she went over to tell Jeffery hello, and he started insulting her son and giving her backhanded compliments. Then, his wife was dispatched to talk to her and explain what was going on ... from Jeffery's perspective. Why is it such a problem for him to accept that as his mother, she will side with Rocco? She has a defined role in the restaurant. Why not just let her do that job?

And back to the statue ... as I said, if you don't like it, by all means, don't hang out at their bar! In the wonderful, free enterprise, capitalistic society we live in, we have the beauty of that freedom! If something is offensive to enough people,the lack of patrons will force the change.

Quote Originally Posted by daysee8
    Whatever. The detail you're pulling out is truly irrelevant to the point I was making.
    I would respectfully disagree. The question goes back to the whole intent of the restaurant. Is it the Red and white checker-cloth psuedo Mafioso hangout that we associate with italian restaurants or is it something that a person of a cosmopolitan mindset (typical of NYC) might find in Firenze, or Napoli, or Roma.... (and FWIW, some in NYC will call Florence, Naples and Rome in such a manner in NYC.)

Based on what was said in the original "The Restaurant" and the fact that they have an actual Italian chef working the menu, I am more inclined to think the latter.

I think Mama has seen too many 'Godfather' Flicks
    Last edited by senrik; 04-28-2004 at 03:28 PM.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Mama seems to me to be a very traditional Italian American strong woman and a major influence into the home style cooking that inspires Rocco to be a chef( a.k.a /author/soap actor...) Clearly Rocco did not learn some of the more core lessons of "your as good as your word", and a honest days pay for a honest days work. I think he is a mam's boy, and is use to having her bail him out of trouble.

I think Mama is a very nieve, kind, and caring women. I think she has a clue whats going on, but not that big of one.

138 is twice as fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I think she's working there on her own accord, cause she's not even being paid. She loves the attention and it's obvious she does.

Just because she's Rocco's mother, doesn't give her the right to "warn people" to stay out of Rocco's way..etc.. I mean..comeon. She's basically threatening someone with that silly statement. Then, when she's in the kitchen... "You gonna cook?" "No.".. "Then what are you doing here??" As if JC's chef needs to explain to HER why and what he's doing there. It's NOT her kitchen.
    When there's problems with your children, it's a give-in that the parents always want to "protect" them, but I think she is speaking out-of-order lately. She needs to step back at let Rocco/Jeff fix whatever problems they have, if that's possible.

I'm not liking her at

Oh..and the Mother Theresa (I think) statue at the bar!?!?! WTH?? It's veryyy gaudy, and doesn't belong there. Not to even mention that it's disrespectful to the patrons that AREN'T HER RELIGION. (After Drew said he thinks that it should go..someone said "Mamma would be upset") AND?!?! DOES IT SAY MAMA'S ON 22ND???
    How is that statue "disrespetful"?? I eat at a restaraunt that looks
    like I am at temple with all all the Jewish garb and it does not bother
    this Catholic one bit...NOW tacky thats another issue.

FORT Newbie

Mama's Long Lost Love

If I were to pick the perfect person to match Mama up with it would have to be FATHER GUIDO SARDUCCI. From saturday night live. I think they would make a perfect pair.

One other thing. If anyone thinks that Mama is the Executive Chef of the restaurant, you would also believe that this show is reality. Sorry.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul138
    How is that statue "disrespetful"?? I eat at a restaraunt that looks
    like I am at temple with all all the Jewish garb and it does not bother
    this Catholic one bit...NOW tacky thats another issue.
    Ok. I'll refrain from using the word "disrespectful" unless I add the words "could be viewed as" in front of it.
    No matter how we can all eat at a diner and really NOT care what's on the walls or what gaudy statue is hovering over you...there ARE people out there who get offended. Sure, sure...don't eat there then. But IMFHO, why would you want to have ANY potential client leave your restaurant? ESPECIALLY if you're 650K in arrears?
    This CATHOLIC gal doesn't give a wild-rip what's on the walls..as long as everything is great...but SOME people are very indignant.
    When I posted that, it was my observation and my thoughts on the subject of the statue.

Tacky...yes, very. I'd hate to have it "lingering" over me as I sit at the bar.

Hopefully the "matter" can be laid to rest before I permanently ban myself on purpose.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Sarahkins
    I loved Mama & Rocco last season. But just as Rocco is looking rough this time around, Mama is also. I've noticed she's wearing a lot more make-up, it's giving her a healthy glow but at the same time, you can notice everything. I know she has an incredible work ethic but I hope she takes it easy. I really don't have an opinion about the statue. It's hard to tell what the restaurant really looks like from all angles. Day shots look casual and fun. But the lighting at night is more formal and romantic. I am confused as a viewer about their theme also but that's a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RACH_L
    If I were to pick the perfect person to match Mama up with it would have to be FATHER GUIDO SARDUCCI. From saturday night live. I think they would make a perfect pair.

One other thing. If anyone thinks that Mama is the Executive Chef of the restaurant, you would also believe that this show is reality. Sorry.
    Don Novello (who played Father Guido Sarducci) was on some talk show last week. He's 20 yrs younger than "Mama". I think Don can do a whole lot better.

Executive Chef....yeah....

yeah but executive chefs really dont cook, they do menu planning & play around in the kitchen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast