+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Celebrity Chef Sued By Investors

Celebrity Chef Sued By Investors

From the CNN website...The article can also be found here.

Celebrity TV chef sued by investors
    Wednesday, February 11, 2004 Posted: 11:17 AM EST (1617 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito is in a legal food fight with the people who say they financed his television restaurant and who are accusing him of mismanaging the eatery, which they say has lost more than a half million dollars.

A group called China Grill Management says in court papers that it put up more than $3 million so DiSpirito could open Rocco's on 22nd Street, an Italian restaurant that was the site of NBC's reality series "The Restaurant."

The show, which ran last summer, followed the 36-year-old chef and his staff through the opening and operation of a Manhattan restaurant. It's expected to begin a second limited run this May or June.

The court papers say that with DiSpirito in charge, the management group expected the restaurant "would be a critical and financial success as a result of DiSpirito's reputation, purported skills and personal commitment."

Instead, the investors say, "The quality of the food and service has been widely criticized" at Rocco's on 22nd Street and the restaurant "has yet to make a profit" -- losing "in excess of $600,000."

The investors, who sued in Manhattan's state Supreme Court, want a judgment that they alone own the restaurant. They also seek unspecified money damages.

The investors' lawyer, Laurance Kaiser, refused to comment on the suit Tuesday.

DiSpirito said he chose the wrong business partners and expressed confidence that any claims against him would be shown to be meritless. He said the restaurant "is a success because of my vision and hard work."

The group's court papers say DiSpirito spent insufficient time and effort on the food and service at the restaurant while "garnering significant media attention."

The investors' court papers, filed late Monday, also say they believe DiSpirito has received large sums of money for appearing on the show and in advertising related to the show.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    If I had invested in this restaraunt and then watched how it was all being run on tv....I'd sue too!
    Especially if I look at the financials and found that it's an excess of 600K loss.

But to sue for an investment..hmmmm.. that's like suing cause your stocks dropped. It's all a gamble. They're going to have to prove that HE (Rocco) was the cause of the loss. Looks like their going to say "DiSpirito spent insufficient time and effort on the food and service at the restaurant while "garnering significant media attention." as the defense.

Sorta hard to prove, but maybe the episodes of "The Restaraunt" will prove the case for them.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    From the CNN website...The article can also be found here.
    I think that Rocco is lucky that Gideon didn;t sue him also. That kid broke his elbow for that guy and Rocco never even believed him...then fired him, even after Gideon showed for work with a broken elbow!

+ Reply to Thread