+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: he owns other restaurants...why the stupid act

FORT Newbie

he owns other restaurants...why the stupid act

Rocco owns 2 other restaurants. It seems like this is his first time opening one. Or maybe he just looks stupid on camera. Dont get me wrong I luv rocco! He schould be out on the floor doing his rounds. its his restaurant. At some point or another he wont even be at the resataurant 24/7. So its good to let the customers see him and such before he decides it can run pretty much with out him. I work in a resataurant thats own by a guy in his 30's. He was there 24/7 for like a month then hed pop in every other week or so. Roccos bringing in more customers by chillin with the girls and guys. Its all good.

Are you sure he owns two other restaurants? What restaurants and where are they located? I thought this was his first restaurant. Someone's trying to BS us. Thanks.

FORT Newbie
    I love Rooco too, but I always thought that his way of hanging around the customers was wierd but I see your point

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BBfan
    Are you sure he owns two other restaurants? What restaurants and where are they located? I thought this was his first restaurant. Someone's trying to BS us. Thanks.
    You haven't figured out yet that 99% of the show is the producers trying to BS you? I have to tape the show now and watch it again, because I get so distracted noticing how many times when someone is talking, the video they show is of that person behind, or the person being talked to ... anything to not show the mouth of the "speaker". Can we say re-dub???

He owns Union Pacific in NYC and is a consulting chef at Tuscan, also in NYC. He's got 20 years in the business under his belt -- hardly a rank amateur with a big idea who has been sitting in Queens begging his mama to cook all this time.

His 2 restaurants (you can't really count Tuscan) are Dava and Union Pacific.

He also has a BA in business management, in case you were curious.

And still comes off as a clueless ass.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    His 2 restaurants (you can't really count Tuscan) are Dava and Union Pacific.

He also has a BA in business management, in case you were curious.
    It could really go either way between Tuscan and Dava. Given what I've read about his association with Dava, I would venture to guess that he'd prefer to link himself closer to Tuscan than with Dava. (he was fired from Dava not long before it closed -- he's never said why but speculation is that the owners accused him of wasting too much money on top ingredients in an effort to get a higher rating) Since Tuscan is a Chodorow venture that he is still linked with, I would assume that he'd prefer to link himself to it than a failed restaurant that fired him. But agian, it could be either.

And his degree is a BA in hospitality management.

Hmmm, Food Network says this:

Eager to increase his knowledge of the business end of the restaurant industry, he received a BA in business from Boston University in 1990.
    Not that I'm saying they're right and you're wrong, I'm just noting the disparity.

I think part of the struggle with this is the time frame the restaurant was put together in.
    The architecture on such a space (all by itself) could take 6 months, This place had 6 weeks. Much of what we are seeing is really the fault of the inner workings of the show. How does one create a restaurant and have it be working in 6 months? Things flare up, and things end up working poorly. The staff doesn't have a chance to figure how to do things right, and with the business on the line, pressure is added.

My feeling is that a Restaurant II would not be good if it were Rocco's.... Why do a show like this if all the bugs are worked out? After all human drama is what reality TV is about, right?
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    I think part of the struggle with this is the time frame the restaurant was put together in.
    The architecture on such a space (all by itself) could take 6 months, This place had 6 weeks. Much of what we are seeing is really the fault of the inner workings of the show. How does one create a restaurant and have it be working in 6 months? Things flare up, and things end up working poorly. The staff doesn't have a chance to figure how to do things right, and with the business on the line, pressure is added.

My feeling is that a Restaurant II would not be good if it were Rocco's.... Why do a show like this if all the bugs are worked out? After all human drama is what reality TV is about, right?
    I think you are exactly right there. Who looked bad in the show? The FOH staff and Rocco. Who looked ok? The BOH staff. BOH jobs would be more similair at Rocco's in comparison to previous jobs. Rocco was dealing with decisions that are normally made in months, and had been made in days. The FOH staff was doomed from the start, because they were given no time to learn where the hell they were.

But to be honest, if they do it again, I'd prefer that if be at Rocco's. When I first read about this show being done, I was under the impression that cameras would be observing the every day goings on of an average restaurant -- not creating a restaurant under abnormal circumstances. I thought it would just be about the staff and customers, and the things that happened while the cameras were watching. I would have enjoyed that more than the "create a fake scenario and see how people react" show that came from it.

I thought the same thing, Daysee. It would have been interesting, by itself, without all the forced drama.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast