+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TGIts Over

FORT Fan

TGIts Over

Im glad its over and dread a second season. This show was one of the most contrived and unreal and staged reality shows Ive seen to date. It just makes me want to puke seeing how unreal it really was - plus I didnt find most of the characters likable at all - and everyone was playing for the camera - even Rocco has said that in interviews... But it made money due to the arrangement NBC made with the producers so I guess everyone is happy. Ill vote my protests by making sure I dont order or buy any Coors Lights, dont use an American Express card and dont buy any Mistubishis... The only thing I cant stand more than contrived reality shows are product placements... And I hate editing to fake us out - and I hate the idea that they actually advertised for couples to come to Roccos to get engaged before the cameras.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsinclair
    Im glad its over and dread a second season. This show was one of the most contrived and unreal and staged reality shows Ive seen to date. It just makes me want to puke seeing how unreal it really was - plus I didnt find most of the characters likable at all - and everyone was playing for the camera - even Rocco has said that in interviews... But it made money due to the arrangement NBC made with the producers so I guess everyone is happy. Ill vote my protests by making sure I dont order or buy any Coors Lights, dont use an American Express card and dont buy any Mistubishis... The only thing I cant stand more than contrived reality shows are product placements... And I hate editing to fake us out - and I hate the idea that they actually advertised for couples to come to Roccos to get engaged before the cameras.

I thought it was great ENTERTAINMENT. None of these reality shows are completely real. I never really paid attention to the product placement. All I know is I enjoyed my Sunday nights watching it.

I agree with a heck of a lot of this, but most of America probably won't agree. Mind you... I like some "crap" reality shows (Paradise Hotel, for example), but I loathe shows which pretend to be good and are actually crap.

Putting aside the "was it a good reality show" question (I'd argue not... but more on that later), it also made Rocco look like one of the biggest most clueless buttheads in the world, and certainly a bad Chef. His reputation in his own field is shot. He'd better like being a TV star/entertainer--because he's now the proud owner of a "novelty" restaurant like "Planet Hollywood". Coming soon to your area--a local spinoff Rocco's Restaurant, with the same putrid food as the local "Olive Garden" and 100% more pictures of Rocco and Mama in the entrance hallway! Whoopie! Rock will be rich, true... so maybe that will be enough to compensate for the lost respect (he really WAS considered a good, serious Chef at one point).

As a show it sucked for me, because not only were events totally changed by editing, but it was OBVIOUS to anyone with a 3 digit IQ exactly when and where this was being done. Not to mention that despite the fact that real restaurants DO occasionally hire actors, this doesn't include hiring them SPECIFICALLY because of their abilities to make spectacles of themselves (see the Holy Books of Gideon and Pete--Morons extraordinate for hire--neither of which would probably have last 3 days in a real restaurant aspiring to two stars or better). Good lord, even the people who WEREN'T actors only came to the place to make spectacles of themselves. The loud Italian Guy during the soft opening? C'mon... anyone here think he was for real? The precocious over-rehearsed big eyed kid in the last episode? Actor in training, of course. The four "sassy" ladies watching the proposal? Not actors, I'd say, but they DID act like they did to stay on camera. And the proposal itself? It was like going to the ballgame to propose on the Jumbotron--you knowif you tell the security guys you are going to do it, and maybe slip them a c-note, you'll wind up there larger than life (or in this case, on national network television).

We were spared a final in-your-face AMEX plug, only to get triple the amount of Mitsubishi and Coors whoring. "Hey, guy... I'm gonna get you a Coors!" "Hey guys, let's carry the case of Coors down to the beach." "Hey Mama, pile into my Mitsu and we will ride to the Hamptons!"

Gee... what if somebody shot a show about a Restaurant and nothing happened?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Putting aside the "was it a good reality show" question (I'd argue not... but more on that later), it also made Rocco look like one of the biggest most clueless buttheads in the world, and certainly a bad Chef. His reputation in his own field is shot. He'd better like being a TV star/entertainer--because he's now the proud owner of a "novelty" restaurant like "Planet Hollywood". Coming soon to your area--a local spinoff Rocco's Restaurant, with the same putrid food as the local "Olive Garden" and 100% more pictures of Rocco and Mama in the entrance hallway! Whoopie! Rock will be rich, true... so maybe that will be enough to compensate for the lost respect (he really WAS considered a good, serious Chef at one point).

As a show it sucked for me, because not only were events totally changed by editing, but it was OBVIOUS to anyone with a 3 digit IQ exactly when and where this was being done.

Wait ... so the show was contrived, manipulated, and edited to create characters and not show people as they truly are (which I totally agree with) ... but Rocco is an idiot and his career is toast? Is that because he's the only one of the whole show they showed accurately? Or is it because despite knowing him for years, the entire NYC restaurant community would choose to ignore anything they know about the guy in real life, and go by his reality show portrayal instead?

FORT Newbie

The Worst!

Im glad its over and dread a second season. This show was one of the most contrived and unreal and staged reality shows Ive seen to date. only thing I cant stand more than contrived reality shows are product placements... And I hate editing to fake us out - and I hate the idea that they actually advertised for couples to come to Roccos to get engaged before the cameras.
    The show was a real shame. The idea is great--show a restaurant from concept to reality and show the inner-workings of a restaurant, which can be rather mysterious to those who have not worked in the business. Instead, we got "get a bunch of actress/model wanabees to act catty like every other reality tv show and hire some actresses to play customers between American Express, Mitsubishi and Coors Light commercials". In the 1980s, PBS did a "documentary" called "Skyscraper", where they followed the building of "Worldwide Plaza" in NYC. The series was brilliant, and it actually focussed on the issue. If "The Restaurant" followed that premise, it would have been great. Instead, we got a pathetic excuse for entertainment.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Clark
    The show was a real shame. The idea is great--show a restaurant from concept to reality and show the inner-workings of a restaurant, which can be rather mysterious to those who have not worked in the business. Instead, we got "get a bunch of actress/model wanabees to act catty like every other reality tv show and hire some actresses to play customers between American Express, Mitsubishi and Coors Light commercials". In the 1980s, PBS did a "documentary" called "Skyscraper", where they followed the building of "Worldwide Plaza" in NYC. The series was brilliant, and it actually focussed on the issue. If "The Restaurant" followed that premise, it would have been great. Instead, we got a pathetic excuse for entertainment.
    The way NBC promoted the show, I think that most people (I know I was) expected it more to be the "Crime and Punishment" equivilent in a restaurant instead of a courtroom. What it proved is that Mark Burnett is all about creating fiction without paying actors rather than putting real life on TV. Don't get me wrong, I completely enjoyed the show and would watch it again. I just think it was mis-marketed, and I think I blame NBC more than anyone else.

Hi Everyone! Whoa, what an ending... the ending sucked! I was so mad! What is with the spikey hair guy that we saw in the begging of the show calling up heather in the end? I didn't get it, so what. Then Rocco singing by a camp fire up in the hamptons, who gives a crap i wanted to see drama in the kitchen...i was really upset that it ended that way, it just made the series look like a piece of sh**, which it wasnt it was a great show, at least it kept me watching every week. Anyways, how did everyone else like the last episode?
    Last edited by John; 08-25-2003 at 03:20 PM.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ngifto
    . Anyways, how did everyone else like the last episode?
    I actually liked this episode better than the others. It seemed closer to just observing the workers/customers in a restaurant, rather than all of the "we'll throw in another problem and see how they react" crap that most of the show has been. There was still some fake stuff and some contrived stuff, but there seemed like more regular interaction mixed in there. Honestly, I wish they'd spent more time on the singing around the campfire, and less with the speeches ... they would have had time for both if it wasn't for the "who's hotter" competition they had to waste so much time on.

I was left wondering though ... do ya think that Rocco watches the show seated between his mama and his girlfriend? And if so, which do you think hit him harder when he told the newly engaged girl that he had to sleep with him in order to get free food?

daysee said :
    I was left wondering though ... do ya think that Rocco watches the show seated between his mama and his girlfriend? And if so, which do you think hit him harder when he told the newly engaged girl that he had to sleep with him in order to get free food?

Haha daysee! Um, if i was Rocco i would be totally embarrassed and scared. More scared of my mother then my g/f. I don't know, i guess it was just a joke, but i would be more embarassed when people would feel me up in the restaurant, for everyone on television to see and everyone else in the restaurant. It's all about adverstising and first impression, Rocco wants to be sexy (which he achieved) and friendly and needs the publics and medias attention, and hes got it, hes just not using his preveliges rite and has to think twice about his actions. HAHAHAH

FORT Newbie
    Thats a ggod one daysee8. I wonder hoe his fiance reacted to his behavior on the show. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast