+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: “Meatballs, Mutiny and Mayhem” - The Restaurant recap 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by marella
    ...You can make all kind of arguments on his personality or attitude or how he treats his employees or mother for that matter, but that frankly is pretty relative. There are a lot of successful people in the world that aren't nice. That doesn't mean they don't work for what they have. Even Ripert and Bourdain had different opinions on what being a modern chef meant.
    God, now I know what it's like to reply to me...

He can be not nice if he wants to. But that's not the case here. He's frustrated because he's stupid. He doesn't know what to do, the chicks find him attractive and that's helped in the past. But now all the chicks are eating his nasty food and expecting airtime in return. The waiters and waitresses want airtime. For God's sake, even the kitchen staff and runners want airtime. When's poor Rocco gonna get airtime? Wait! Don't call Gideon in, he hogs up precious airtime.

The whole show is a setup. That's my point. I'm not the judge of anyone, but for you to tell me that, typically, people are handed a restaurant and allowed to screw it up while investors sit idly by...and that indeed is what you're asking me to accept...then I'm not buying it.

This is a 'reality' tv series, where the investors are loving every screw up because it brings weirdos like you and me back to the TV set every week to see their repeated plugs for thier products. Do you think the paychecks were really late? No, AmEx wanted to show how convenient using your line of credit was to pay your employees in a time of crisis was.

It's like being asked what you'd do if you had a million dollars. All of us Office Space fans know the appropriate answer is '...two chicks at the same time." But that's just it. Rocco's answer to the question "How shall I squander this opportunity that has been graciously provided to me?" is being played out for us week by week.

So no "Poor Rocco" stuff, or "I'm Sure Rocco Deserves This" mamma jamma. The guy is selling himself to you. He will fail because of it. I want to be there for it. That's all I'm saying.

Rocco Fry Pans for All!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by marella
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespearefan
    I like to wear a San Francisco Giants cap. I guess that means I'm in the starting lineup.
    Do you have a point to make?
    I thought I made it, but I'll try again. He owns the restaurant and can get all the chef jackets he wants. The fact that he was wearing the chef jacket doesn't prove he was doing any actual chef work.

FORT Newbie
    StewartFip: I actually agree with most of that about Rocco and the show. I don't know if any reality tv is really reality. They probably set up most of it. I don't know if Rocco will fail or not. I don't see how what we see of him on this show could be good for his career. He doesn't come off well, but I guess I don't really understand the "no bad publicity" part of the game.

I don't know why I'm drawn in to this either. As I mentioned, I worked food once upon a time, many moons ago and when I heard this show was going to be on, I didn't think I would be interested in at all. I guess that just goes to show me.

Shakespearefan: Of course it doesn't prove it. I don't have any actual information. It only made me wonder or suspect that he might have come to Rocco's that day from Union Pacific. We don't see much of what goes on because of editing and time constraints. He could just as easily have come from home.
    Last edited by marella; 08-20-2003 at 12:59 AM.

FORT Newbie
    I'm puzzled by Pete's stand up comedy performance. I don't know how anyone could possibly write that material and think it funny enough to perform. Besides being totally insensitive, it's not funny at all and pretty moronic. OBVIOUSLY terrorists take public responsibility for their actions (usually by calling a newspaper to announce that they planted the bomb or whatever) because it brings attention to their cause and makes the public take them seriously. If you want to make a public statement against a government, then you have to announce what your group stands for and did. ETA in Spain does this - they'll plant a bomb and then call the police to tell them what time it's set to go off. They don't want to hurt people, they just want to spook them a bit. It was just an extremely dumb thing to say.
    I think Tony Bourdain and Eric Ripert went to Rocco's because they were curious to see what it was like - Rocco was kind of a "young, promising talent," I guess, so maybe they just wanted to see what to make of it. That's probably why I watch it too - it's annoying, the people on the show are mostly ham actors and not too bright, but I'm curious to see it. StewartFip, if you're interested in seeing the "foodie" view of it, egullet.com has a few forums on it that are interesting.

P.S. Great recap. Much better than the actual show!

wicked awesome recap. if I had a choice between this recap and a Big Mac, i'd choose this recap (and then later eat the burger secretly.)

Quote Originally Posted by cherrystem
    egullet.com
    Where positively the f---- has this site been all my life? Must read. Can I get a LAN connection in the bathroom for my laptop?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    wicked awesome recap. if I had a choice between this recap and a Big Mac, i'd choose this recap (and then later eat the burger secretly.)
    You are the coolest! Thank you so much, holiday.

I forgot that this thread was about my recap since it's being used as some sort of a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirl
    I forgot that this thread was about my recap since it's being used as some sort of a debate.
    My bad...

CaliGirl,

Once again, a terrific recap!! I SWEAR I really want to watch this show, but I have NO CLUE what happens to me every Sunday night.

I KNOW I'm usually sitting in front of the TV, but for some reason, I never SEE the show listed. I don't know if it's selective amnesia, DirecTv messing with my mind, or if aliens are doing brain scans on me at that time. I've managed to see 1 & 1/2 shows total.

Maybe I'll catch the whole thing on Bravo??

Although, I think that I MAY be getting the best of the deal by just reading your WONDERFUL recaps instead!! THANK YOU!!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted2tv
    CaliGirl,

Once again, a terrific recap!! I SWEAR I really want to watch this show, but I have NO CLUE what happens to me every Sunday night.

I KNOW I'm usually sitting in front of the TV, but for some reason, I never SEE the show listed. I don't know if it's selective amnesia, DirecTv messing with my mind, or if aliens are doing brain scans on me at that time. I've managed to see 1 & 1/2 shows total.

Maybe I'll catch the whole thing on Bravo??

Although, I think that I MAY be getting the best of the deal by just reading your WONDERFUL recaps instead!! THANK YOU!!
    How sweet it is to come to this thread and find something so nice, kinda like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast