+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: “Meatballs, Mutiny and Mayhem” - The Restaurant recap 8/17

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by marella
    I tried to add this to my last post, but too much time had passed and I did want bite the bullet and comment on it. I found myself to be actually relieved that Gideon was not in this episode. I think that he probably had been getting on my nerves without my being completely aware of it.
    Now, if they could only hire some professional servers and not all these lame wannabe comics and actors, things would be much better.

I understand that very few of that "originals" are still there except for Uzay who seems to be very good at his job even though he's an actor and has studied with the great David Mamet.

Shall we ice dance? Melissa Sk8s's Avatar
    Now, that is too bad...I'm fascinated by this show, and it's the only "reality" tv show I've really been interested in.

I don't want to see Rocco's fail. I'm hoping for some character growth! I see a lot of pretty faces who can interview well get hired. I wish Rocco's and its staff all of the success in the world, both personally and professionally.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by StewartFip
    Why do I keep watching?

To see it FAIL. I want a neutron bomb to drop on the joint. I wish for termites to eat away at the stained wood exterior. I want to see it all on TV.

So I have some reading to do here. I wanted to post this prior to understanding what precisely this group was about or what their disposition was about the show. We'll see if I've made friends or enemies.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Sk8s
    Now, that is too bad...I'm fascinated by this show, and it's the only "reality" tv show I've really been interested in.

I don't want to see Rocco's fail. I'm hoping for some character growth! I see a lot of pretty faces who can interview well get hired. I wish Rocco's and its staff all of the success in the world, both personally and professionally.

Melissa
    i like your point of view
    i like that this show isnt focused on marrying someone after a couple of weeks or about wining big bucks
    u get to a see a new world and its exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Sk8s

Melissa
    I don't dislike the concept of the show. But isn't there enough drama in anyone's life to make for good television without having to massage it into place?

Wouldn't you rather see a real restaurant start from the ground up? No gimmicks (like an insane construction schedule, or your mother coming out of well-deserved retirement to act as slave labor), a chef who cares about his food and his staff, and customers who actually enjoy the food?

Are we all saying that good reality tv is comprised of fronts and misery? Must these things be present..even injected into a script-like atmosphere...in order to be enjoyable?

And who says this guy deserves this restaurant? How many talented executive chefs have been toiling in a restaurant or hotel, just waiting for an opportunity on a meager salary, while Rocco is handed the chance courtesy of Coors Light, AmEx and Mitsubishi, then proceeds to screw the whole joint up for the sake of ratings?

Why do I keep watching? God, I don't know... I sure do a lot of grousing about it, don't I?

Shall we ice dance? Melissa Sk8s's Avatar
    Stewart, you are too funny. Why do we all watch it? We're hooked!

Why do I keep watching? God, I don't know... I sure do a lot of grousing about it, don't I?

FORT Newbie
    And who says this guy deserves this restaurant? How many talented executive chefs have been toiling in a restaurant or hotel, just waiting for an opportunity on a meager salary, while Rocco is handed the chance courtesy of Coors Light, AmEx and Mitsubishi, then proceeds to screw the whole joint up for the sake of ratings?

Deserve is an odd concept. How do you judge who might deserve what. I haven't eaten at Union Pacific, but from all accounts, it is a pretty good restaurant. Also from all accounts Rocco worked hard for many years being a chef. And toiling away is part of the process. There are several different avenues for being a chef and all kinds of attitudes. I think Rocco comes off as a bit of an ass, but I suspect that he has worked very hard to get where he is and to present himself in such a matter as to get the opportunities that he wants. I doubt very much if he was handed this chance. I don't know personally, but it is pretty obvious from watching Rocco in the show that he takes advantage of his opportunities and really works to forward himself in the manner he has chosen. There are a great many famous chefs in the world that front and oversee many restaurants and do very little or none of the cooking in them. It would be impossible for them to do so. And I suspect that Rocco might be working and cooking at Union Pacific to some degree that we never see. For one thing, he had on a Union Pacific chef jacket when he was talking to Rory, Tim and Diana.

You can make all kind of arguments on his personality or attitude or how he treats his employees or mother for that matter, but that frankly is pretty relative. There are a lot of successful people in the world that aren't nice. That doesn't mean they don't work for what they have. Even Ripert and Bourdain had different opinions on what being a modern chef meant.

FORT Newbie
    The three of them may or may not be good chefs, but the stunt they pulled makes a sixteen year old working at McDonalds look mature. I have commented several times about Rocco's problems, but these three, as far as I am concerned, makes Rocco look like owner of the year. It WAS immature and shameful. Rocco was right, they do need to grow up.
    If I recall, Rocco got offended by the truth that his restaurant is a one star spaghetti and meatballs cafe, not a real high-end restaurant. Beyond that, instead of just accepting their decision to quit, he got all steamy and had to confront them and immaturely tell them they weren't good enough to work there. I don't recall the "3" saying the restaurant was awful, but was not a place where they can learn anything, which is probably right because Rocco wouldnt' have hired them if they did not have experience and great talent. If they weren't highly talented, then Rocco showed poor judgment in hiring them. The "3", however, didn't stoop to Rocco's level--they just nodded, gathered their things, and walked out. That showed a heck of alot more class than Rocco. Besides, who cares why they quit, or under what circumstances, they didn't not show up for work as an airline pilot, or a doctor, they were grilling up Mama's Meatballs. Turnover is a fact in the restaurant industry, which demands 60 hours a week+ for $10 an hour and no benefits. On top of that, you have to deal with immature chefs who have no management ability. I don't blame them for quitting; my only complaint is they didn't just quit but "lied" about it. But regardless, that is no excuse to get all confrontational.

FORT Newbie
    And I suspect that Rocco might be working and cooking at Union Pacific to some degree that we never see. For one thing, he had on a Union Pacific chef jacket when he was talking to Rory, Tim and Diana.
    I like to wear a San Francisco Giants cap. I guess that means I'm in the starting lineup.

FORT Newbie
    I just think that quitting is one thing, but to make up that story where Diana even came in and told it is immature. They were going to quit so why the horrible lie. Rocco's actions are one matter and theirs is another. Whatever their feelings on Rocco and the restaurant, they also left their coworkers in a lurch. People were stuck doing their own work plus the work of the missing workers. Perhaps that doesn't completely matter since they would have had to do the same if they had just quit, but it was pretty shabby not to be straight up about the fact that they were quitting. To tell you the truth, I don't think it was professional of them to quit without notice either for that reason. Rocco is responsible for his own actions, but they are responsible for theirs as well. It may not be flying a plane, but it is the profession that they have chosen and they should conduct themselves better than they did in my opinion. In theory, this is what they want to do in life and one assumes they would take it seriously and act professionally. Responsible people go to work when they are supposed to. They don't call in faking a cold and they certainly don't make up elaborate stories and make people worry about them because they are hungover or just decide they don't feel like going. Tony and probably others were concerned for Tim. Usually people make up a reason because they want to hedge their bets in case they want to still work there. If you want to quit, quit even if it is without notice, but be honest. Don't lie.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespearefan
    I like to wear a San Francisco Giants cap. I guess that means I'm in the starting lineup.
    Do you have a point to make?
    Last edited by marella; 08-20-2003 at 01:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast