+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: “Meatballs, Mutiny and Mayhem” - The Restaurant recap 8/17

FORT Fogey
    My question is this: In a city like New York that offers a myriad of fine restaurants, why would Bourdain and Ripert deign to dine there and make their comments on camera?

When Pete started his bit about the terrorist bombings, I nearly fell out of my chair! Great recap Cali....This show always reminds me what MY Grandma used to say..."there is no accountin' for some folks..nosir..there is just no accountin' for'em."
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirl
    My question is this: In a city like New York that offers a myriad of fine restaurants, why would Bourdain and Ripert deign to dine there and make their comments on camera?
    It would not surprise me to find Bourdain was either bribed or dragged there, and he hauled Ripert along with him to be funny. Having Ripert there would be Bourdain's idea of a joke. Just to make people like us ask "What the F--- is HE doing there???"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Clark
    Check out the menu. What makes you want to go there. Now go to [le-bernardin tasting menu] and tell me you wouldn't spend some time, save up your money, buy a nice suit, and take a similarly minded foodie-friend to EXPERIENCE that first tasting menu. Collectively you'd spend well over $500 for that meal. But you would never FORGET it. Because someone wants to provide you with an experience, someone cared, and someone in a kitchen prepared something that they were proud of. Not because hunger was gnawing at your belly and they wanted to feed it.
    I wouldn't. I'm not that much of a foodie. I'm also not really up for spending more than $100 on dinner, no matter how good it is (yeah, not that much of a foodie). However, looking at their lunch and dinner menus, I'd go for that....

-- Joe

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirl
    Most restaurants close shop at about 11pm. Roccos looks to stay open much later. Hence, it should be filled with chefs, regardless of how good the cuisine is--there is no place else left to eat after work except Howard Johnsons.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Clark
    Most restaurants close shop at about 11pm. Roccos looks to stay open much later. Hence, it should be filled with chefs, regardless of how good the cuisine is--there is no place else left to eat after work except Howard Johnsons.
    There are tons of options past 11pm in NYC though. Veselka in the East Village, for example, is a fave of mine. Pierogi and borscht, yummy!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Great job, Caligirl!

Playing hooky from work is stupid. Playing hooky from work on national television is a great way to make yourself unemployable; what morons.

Quote Originally Posted by elf_girl

Great recap! Couldn't believe what Pete said in his comedy routine. What an insensitive jerk. I have a hard time believing it was just the bad week he had. I think he may just be an unfunny comic.
    First off, great recap indeed. You are are bubbling over with talent Calgirl.

As for Pete's joke, I didn't think it was necessarily that insensitive, but the wording and audience were wrong. Before everyone jumps all over me, let me explain myself.

Haven't any of you found it incredibly strange how terrorist groups announce they are the culprits? What do they do, issue press releases? Can you imagine if other criminals did that? It is truly bizarre. The authorities don't even have to play the "whodunit" game because the criminals have already proudly announced their culpability.

He really ought to consider a new method of delivering this idea, but perhaps a New York crowd, for obvious reasons, may never be the sort of crowd to present terrorist jokes.

I suppose this is the difference between an amateur and a pro...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jealousy
    Ouch. Not very nice of you. Do I detect a bit of jealousy because Diana is a beautiful girl and a talented chef? Having worked close with the production of the show, I can tell you that she was hired more for her resume, on the strengths of her cooking talents - not her looks (which Im sure didnt hurt). Tim, Rory and Diana have worked in the top restaurants in NYC. I'm sure its very difficult to have worked in 4 star restaurants with top chefs and then have to come in every day and make meatballs. (no offense mama). Even worse, they were not paid for three weeks. I for one, do not blame them for quitting. Rocco was dishonest with them when he promised them a paycheck every week. Cooks dont make enough as it is.

Interesting that they didnt show Rocco asking them to stay, and offering them better positions which they declined. He needed to save face on national tv by telling them never to darken his doorway.
    Interesting.......
    The three of them may or may not be good chefs, but the stunt they pulled makes a sixteen year old working at McDonalds look mature. I have commented several times about Rocco's problems, but these three, as far as I am concerned, makes Rocco look like owner of the year. It WAS immature and shameful. Rocco was right, they do need to grow up.

FORT Newbie
    I tried to add this to my last post, but too much time had passed and I did want bite the bullet and comment on it. I found myself to be actually relieved that Gideon was not in this episode. I think that he probably had been getting on my nerves without my being completely aware of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast