+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 8/17 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FINALLY Rocco does SOMETHING right

Yesterday, in my opinion, was the best episode yet. Even though there were still problems in the kitchen and minor details here and there, the show finally portrayed Rocco as a decent manager and human being. He drafted a 'Captain' system, which hasn't shown much improvement as of yet, but at least he's making an effort for the restaurant. Also it was nice to see his generous side with his mom. The best part was when he told Diana, Rory and Tim to never step foot in the restaurant again. I thought it was definitely well deserved, considering not only did they not show up for work, but they lied to Rocco's face about it. Hopefully this episode was a sign of better things to come. Too bad next week is the final episode...I was just starting to like it too.

FORT Newbie

casting call...

Quote Originally Posted by MsTresMulder

And I think the poem Heather (I think that was her name) wrote for Perry, it was so cute! And she's got some nerve, you gotta appreciate that. It's not easy for a girl to approach a guy she *really* likes, if it's really sincere, it makes you so much more nervous. ; - ) And they did look really cute together, they probably should wait until after work to kiss, but I guess she was just in the moment and it just happened, and happened, and happened one more time...
    Scripted. It is obvious that the two of them have nothing in common. It was the best way for the chick to get on camera--she hasn't got much and had to think of something to help her acting career.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bebecheeks
    Yesterday, in my opinion, was the best episode yet. Even though there were still problems in the kitchen and minor details here and there, the show finally portrayed Rocco as a decent manager and human being. He drafted a 'Captain' system, which hasn't shown much improvement as of yet, but at least he's making an effort for the restaurant. Also it was nice to see his generous side with his mom. The best part was when he told Diana, Rory and Tim to never step foot in the restaurant again. I thought it was definitely well deserved, considering not only did they not show up for work, but they lied to Rocco's face about it.
    Maybe I am watching a different show. This episode exemplified Rocco's failures as a manager, and as a person.

The "captain" system works well at a place like La Cote Basque, but is a tip-killer for waiters. That is why you find very few American waiters who will work in a classic french-style restaurant (usually either Frenchmen from poor areas of France, or as is the case nowadays in NYC, Central Americans). Thankfully, Rocco is a adequate chef, and doesn't have to wait tables. If he did, the restaurant would go bankrupt--how many meals did he "comp" that night? Being a waiter means apologizing, and taking criticism, not giving away free food to keep people from telling you the truth--the service and food sucks.

Generous with mom? Other than setting him mom up in a $2,500 a month apartment in Manhattan (her salary would be maybe $35k a year if she was a real assistant sous-chef, so Rocco is losing money on mom), I find that while he does show affection for her (note cameras are on him at every moment with mom), he talks to her like she is an employee. I'm surprised he needed cooks to tell him his mom was sick, since his relationship with her is reputed to be so tight.

And finally, even when faced with three employees who "lied" about Hospitalgate, Rocco turned out yet again to be the ass. When you pay cooks $10 an hour (which is all they make per hour when you factor they work 60+ hours a week), and there are 20,000 restaurants in NYC, you have to do something to make it worth their while to show up to work. Turnover is a fact of life in a cruel, pressure-filled business. These three cooks were sold a bill of goods--work with a celebrity chef, and cook top-flight food. Neither turned out to be true. These cooks could work at Le Cirque, Lespinasse, or Union Square Cafe, so why would they work at Rocco's? Rocco didn't need, nor require, a reason for not showing up at work. They were honest with him--they did not feel they would learn what they needed to learn from him to further their career. They want to be executive chefs one day, and they won't be making 1 star spaghetti and meatballs when their peers are cutting it up at Lespinasse and Aureole. Rocco, the egotistical man he is, couldn't stand for the notion that his restaurant "is not good enough for them". The truth is, it probably wasn't good enough for their talents. Cooking is a craft that requires working with a master to improve--you can't do that when Rocco is feeling up girls in the dining room. The three cooks who quit didn't act equally immaturely and get involved in a "Rocco your a conceited pig" venom match. They just walked out, which showed alot of class. Whether they just didn't show up for work, or made up a story for why they didn't come to work, isn't relevant. Rocco didn't seem all to concerned for the health of the poor hospitalized cook--he seemed to dispair because he didn't have grill coverage as a result, not because someone was hurt. I'm sure he was crushed!

FORT Newbie
    I can understand the three cooks leaving if that type of restaurant and cooking wasn't what they wanted, but I cannot understand at all the way they went about it. They could have come in, given their reasons, and left, but they made up that horrible story about Tim being in the hospital, thinking he was dead, being covered in blood etc. As a person who has worked for a living for a long time, even in food service many years ago, I find this unacceptable behavior. It is unprofessional and the actions of immature and unreliable people. Yes, there were problems with being paid, but that is no excuse for the whopper of a lie that they made up. Quitting with no notice would have sufficed. I know a lot of the wait staff are aspiring actors, but these three 'serious' cooks seemed to want their moment in the acting limelight as well. If they had worked for me, I would have kicked their butts to the curb.

FORT Newbie
    the cooks made such a bid deal with the whole quiting thing
    i loved rocco on the show
    dman i m gonna miss it
    hopefuly they ll show more

FORT Newbie
    In the scenes for next week, they talk about who is hooking up and they show a couple half behind a closed door kissing or something. Did that look like Carrie and Gideon to anyone else?

Shall we ice dance? Melissa Sk8s's Avatar
    They lied . Don't sugar it up. Whether or not Rocco was an ass, they lied. Strong ethics happen from internal character, not external influences.

The right thing would be to quit, and skip the hospital b.s. Had they done that, I believe there might have been a chance that Rocco would pay attention to their concerns regarding the kitchen. The only thing he will remember now is that he caught them in a lie.

By the way, did it look to anyone else that the scene where they discussed not coming in to work was reshot in the same place that Rocco talked to them when they came in to quit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Clark
    And finally, even when faced with three employees who "lied" about Hospitalgate, Rocco turned out yet again to be the ass.!

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=Melissa Sk8s]
    By the way, did it look to anyone else that the scene where they discussed not coming in to work was reshot in the same place that Rocco talked to them when they came in to quit?

I don't recall the place exactly, but I don't think it was the same booth that they were in at Rocco's, but I'm not certain. I do think that the scene was reshot though. I don't think the camera people were probably following everyone around until something happened that they wanted to shoot. That scene where they are all sitting and talking about what was wrong and if they were going back felt contrived. It perhaps is a conversation similar to one that actually took place before, but that one was almost certainly a redo. Unless they called the cameraman to come over and film it in the first place, which makes it a first time conversation, but no less contrived. I can see it now. "We told a huge lie to the folks at the restaurant, which we almost certainly will be caught in and now we want to say all the things we hate about the place and decide not to come back." Film at eleven.

FORT addict
    Quote Originally Posted by marella
    In the scenes for next week, they talk about who is hooking up and they show a couple half behind a closed door kissing or something. Did that look like Carrie and Gideon to anyone else?
    i know that the guy is definetly Gideon because he said it was in the 'thoughts' section in his site, but im not positive the girl is Carrie, though thats who i thought it was when i saw it
    <3 Greta

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MsTresMulder
    That's so awesome that Tony Bourdain was there!! Tony is so cool! And Rocco did seem to care about what his table got.

And he was right on about the 'great food not being enough' theory. Rocco is an entertainer as much as a chef...he's a natural, but I am sure he learned some of it in school.

I wish Rocco would get some rest. He needs to sleep for like three days, poor Rocco. His nose was all red... And I am sure that just because he's not running around with all of the servers and cooks doesn't mean that he's not doing anything to make the restaurant work. Mental stress can be as heavy as physical stress, sometimes heavier.

And I think the poem Heather (I think that was her name) wrote for Perry, it was so cute! And she's got some nerve, you gotta appreciate that. It's not easy for a girl to approach a guy she *really* likes, if it's really sincere, it makes you so much more nervous. ; - ) And they did look really cute together, they probably should wait until after work to kiss, but I guess she was just in the moment and it just happened, and happened, and happened one more time...
    I'm sorry, do you really think Rocco's nose is red due to stress???

+ Reply to Thread