+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: City bugging Rocco restaurant (with health violations)

City bugging Rocco restaurant

City bugging Rocco restaurant

By BILL HUTCHINSON
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Diners might want to ask "Is there a fly in my zuppa?" the next time they eat at celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito's new Manhattan restaurant.
    DiSpirito's Flatiron District establishment, the setting of NBC's reality series "The Restaurant," has been cited by the Health Department for six health code violations.

Topping the findings of the July 29 inspection is "evidence of live flies" in the kitchen prep area at Rocco's, located at 12 E. 22nd St., records show.

The pretty-boy chef from Queens also was nailed for keeping metal spoons in a "container of greasy stagnant water" - in other words, a greasy spoon violation.

And the kitchen staff was drubbed for leaving wiping cloths, "soiled with old food particles," on a food-prep countertop.

The violations were posted yesterday on Court TV's thesmokinggun.com Web site. DiSpirito declined comment last night.

"He's really busy, and we're having problems with our computer right now," said a woman who answered the phone at Rocco's.

DiSpirito's reality TV series chronicles the good, the bad and the ugly of opening a restaurant in New York. The poor inspection could add to the story line, which has included a kitchen fire and a snippy wait staff.

The show, which draws about 7.5 million viewers, has gotten mixed reviews. DiSpirito's latest critics are health inspectors, who seemed unimpressed with the pricey menu, which includes black sea bass for $28 and veal parmigiana for $25.

While DiSpirito and his backers poured $1.5 million into renovations, the inspection skewered things the staff allegedly missed. They were cited for not having a self-closing door on the employee toilet and not having a light cover in a walk-in refrigerator to catch glass if the bulb broke.

The restaurant also was cited for missing tiles in the dishwashing area and one missing in the food-prep section.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...1p-97945c.html

The Smoking Gun's document can be found at:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/doc_o_day/doc_o_day.html

Aw, that's so nice that Rocco has a court hearing on the matter on my birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Aw, that's so nice that Rocco has a court hearing on the matter on my birthday!

What a nice birthday gift? HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!

Hmmmmmmm..... according to my calculations, you were conceived on (or about) New Year's Eve. Sounds like Mom and Dad liked to bring in the new year with a bang!

(What? No conception emoticons?!?!)

(just for clarification, it's not my birthday today - but it will be on October 23, when Rocco has to appear in court)

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    They were having trouble with their computers! Say it ain't so! How uneard of! They might be better off to tout when they ARE NOT having trouble with their computers. Now THAT would be out of the norm for that place.

Poor Rocco.
    ~*~ Maji *~

Health Code Violations

From the Smoking Gun:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/roccoinspect1.html

Rocco, There's A Fly In My Zuppa
    Star of "The Restaurant" hit with health violations

AUGUST 11--Already saddled with whiny employees, lousy reviews, and comparisons to the Olive Garden, the New York eatery featured in NBC's "The Restaurant" was slapped with six health code violations following an inspection last week, The Smoking Gun has learned.

Rocco's, chef Rocco DiSpirito's chaotic Italian-American joint, was cited on July 29 for the "evidence of live flies" in the kitchen prep area and for keeping two large metal spoons stored in a "container of greasy stagnant water." That's right, Rocco's was nailed for a greasy spoon violation. The restaurant was also cited for having three "moist wiping" cloths "soiled with old food particles and not stored in sanitizing solution." Another violation resulted from an "employee toilet facility" that was not equipped with the required "self-closing door."

Below you'll find the notice of violation issued to Rocco's stoic manager Laurent Saillard by inspectors with New York City's Department of Health. A hearing on the six violations has been scheduled for October 22. On the positive side, despite repeated complaints from diners seen on "The Restaurant," Rocco's was not written up for serving cold food (eateries are often nailed for not maintaining hot food at or above 140 degrees Farenheit).

According to State Liquor Authority records, DiSpirito owns 50 percent of Rocco's, which was launched with a $1.5 million investment and pays $36,499 monthly for its swanky Flatiron space. The restaurant's annual payroll approaches $2 million, according to the SLA documents. (4 pages)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey

Thanks for posting, hep!

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    What a mess! I'd think twice about eating at Rocco's if I were in New York. I'd maybe pop in to say "hi" and get a hug from Rocco but afterward I'd run to the nearest exit.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

Rocco's Hit with Health Violations

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I got this from The Smoking Gun website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rocco, There's A Fly In My Zuppa

Star of "The Restaurant" hit with health violations

AUGUST 11--Already saddled with whiny employees, lousy reviews, and comparisons to the Olive Garden, the New York eatery featured in NBC's "The Restaurant" was slapped with six health code violations following an inspection last week, The Smoking Gun has learned.

Rocco's, chef Rocco DiSpirito's chaotic Italian-American joint, was cited on July 29 for the "evidence of live flies" in the kitchen prep area and for keeping two large metal spoons stored in a "container of greasy stagnant water." That's right, Rocco's was nailed for a greasy spoon violation. The restaurant was also cited for having three "moist wiping" cloths "soiled with old food particles and not stored in sanitizing solution." Another violation resulted from an "employee toilet facility" that was not equipped with the required "self-closing door."

[...] A hearing on the six violations has been scheduled for October 22. On the positive side, despite repeated complaints from diners seen on "The Restaurant," Rocco's was not written up for serving cold food (eateries are often nailed for not maintaining hot food at or above 140 degrees Farenheit).

According to State Liquor Authority records, DiSpirito owns 50 percent of Rocco's, which was launched with a $1.5 million investment and pays $36,499 monthly for its swanky Flatiron space. The restaurant's annual payroll approaches $2 million, according to the SLA documents.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: On smokinggun.com, you'll also find the three pages of notices of violation issued to Laurent by inspectors with New York City's Department of Health.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast