+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City bugging Rocco restaurant (with health violations)

You beat me to it, Nausicaa, I just read this on AP News: http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20030812/D7SSKV4G0.html.

Doesn't sound too appetizing.

Reality TV Eatery Cited for 'Live Flies'

Aug 12, 4:35 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Rocco DiSpirito's trendy Italian restaurant has new fodder for its reality television series: a health department citation for "evidence of live flies" and greasy spoons.

Rocco's is the subject of the NBC reality show "The Restaurant," which follows its photogenic chef and staff through the travails of running a New York City restaurant. That hassle became all too real on July 29 when the eatery was cited during an impromptu health department inspection for "evidence of live flies" in the kitchen prep area and for keeping two large metal spoons stored in a "container of greasy stagnant water."

The notice of violation was posted on Court TV's The Smoking Gun Web site Monday night. A hearing on the violations has been scheduled for Oct. 22.

The East 22nd Street eatery, famous for its meatballs, also was cited for having three "moist wiping" cloths "soiled with old food particles and not stored in sanitizing solution." The citation also said an employee toilet facility was not equipped with the required "self-closing door."

A call for comment to Rocco's manager, Laurent Saillard, was not immediately returned.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Thanks, John, for merging my post with the original existing thread. I thought no one had posted about this, but boy - are you FoRTers fast!

I wonder how high the fines would be be if Rocco's is penalized.

While the violations certainly have an "ick" factor to them, they're not nearly as bad as some of the stuff I've seen in Chinese restaurants when I went back to Beijing. Of course, with the exchange rate being what it is - I didn't have to pay $28 USD to eat small portions of good bass.

I'm trying to figure out the most neutral possible way to say this but these aren't huge violations even though they sound kinda nasty and the greasy spoon one sounds like a true jab in the eye so I'm wondering If Rocco decided to forego some of the usual umm encouragements to the health inspector to avoid getting cited. My understanding is that new restaraunts are warned more often than cited and its pretty unusual for someone to get cited so quickly after opening unless the place is just so awful it can't be ignored no matter what the enticement is to do so. The NYC NBC station joyfully shows how disgusting the conditions are in eateries of all qualities all across the city every sweeps. I'm betting there's a chance Rocco didnn't play ball and got burned.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

I'm sure that's the case, 1083. And in any event, they're small violations that I'm sure every restaurant in NYC has been guilty of.

Quote Originally Posted by 1083
    I'm trying to figure out the most neutral possible way to say this but these aren't huge violations even though they sound kinda nasty and the greasy spoon one sounds like a true jab in the eye so I'm wondering If Rocco decided to forego some of the usual umm encouragements to the health inspector to avoid getting cited. My understanding is that new restaraunts are warned more often than cited and its pretty unusual for someone to get cited so quickly after opening unless the place is just so awful it can't be ignored no matter what the enticement is to do so. The NYC NBC station joyfully shows how disgusting the conditions are in eateries of all qualities all across the city every sweeps. I'm betting there's a chance Rocco didnn't play ball and got burned.

You know, 1083, all city health inspectors are not bribe takers. I work in regulatory enforcement (not this kind) and it is quite common, as you say, to give new businesses a warning or a "notice of violation" that merely demands compliance without a fine. The fact that there is a hearing date set is unusual (unless it is the usual practice of the city to automatically set a hearing date, like some traffic citations.)

This situation with Rocco's could be nothing. A notice of violation, with an automatic hearing date, that merely requires evidence of compliance before the date, something like that.

And is anyone else surprised by the violations? Who knew an employee rest room requires a self-closing door? Why would that be? So 'germs' can't walk out the door if someone forgets to close it??

FORT Newbie
    This may sound ridiculous, but I think that NBC and maybe even Rocco are happy about these citations. Now, Rocco's is even more in the public eye. More press...more attention. Now Rocco has been interviewed saying that he will do everything possible to "fix" the violations, and he will probably not lose many customers over it. This story was all over thenews yesterday...CNN, local channels...everywhere. If you hadn't heard of Rocco's before, then you probably heard about it yesterday.

As far as the "self-closing door" in the bathroom. Can you imagine how many germs are on the door handle of a bathroom?

The CNN website version...

More 'Restaurant' drama
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Rocco DiSpirito's trendy new Italian restaurant - the subject of NBC's reality series "The Restaurant" -- has been cited by the health department for "evidence of live flies" and greasy spoons.

"The Restaurant" follows DiSpirito and his staff through the travails of opening a Manhattan restaurant. That hassle continued when Rocco's on 22nd was cited during an impromptu health department inspection on July 29.

The notice of violation was posted on Court TV's The Smoking Gun Web site Monday night. A hearing has been scheduled for October 22.

A call for comment to Rocco's manager, Laurent Saillard, wasn't immediately returned Tuesday.

The restaurant also was cited for having three "moist wiping" cloths "soiled with old food particles and not stored in sanitizing solution." The citation also said an employee toilet facility wasn't equipped with the required "self-closing door."

Quote Originally Posted by tvfreaky
    As far as the "self-closing door" in the bathroom. Can you imagine how many germs are on the door handle of a bathroom?
    About as many as there are on the faucet handle??

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by genericwife
    About as many as there are on the faucet handle??
    Now there's a thought for ya'.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

ewww

Quote Originally Posted by breathless4975
    Now there's a thought for ya'.
    Just plain eww.

I'm not immaculate. I try.

I know a lot of people in the service industry. I prefer to take their advice "if you only knew what was going on back there."

I guess that's why my immune system is so strong. We eat at restaurants 4-5 times a week.

Oh and I think I had Eddie Spaghetti (the hubster) all ready to try this place out. "Oh Honey, let's go up to NYC and do some shopping.....we can make reservations NOW...."

Heck. We're only a 2 hour bus tour away and he was like..."um hon, let's wait"

Damn. I thought I married the adventurous type!

Bevski
    Last edited by Bevski; 08-15-2003 at 07:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast