+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen staff

FORT Newbie

Kitchen staff

Any one else dissappointed that most of the focus of the show has been upstairs? I know that's were most of the drama occurs... but a lot goes on in the kitchen, not just cooking either. I was really hoping to see more of the kitchen staff, especially how hard they work.
    I think Rocco should stay downstairs. It's pretty clear that cooking is his strong point. I have been very unimpressed with him. He seems like an ass, but his whole face and demeanor changes in the kitchen. He's more comfortable down there and it shows.

When I saw all the sweat dripping from the cooks' faces into the food, then saw Rocco's mother squishing the meatball mix with her bare hands, and then saw Rocco pick up the meatball mixture and start rolling it with his bare hands WITHOUT WASHING THEM FIRST, I was completely grossed out. So actually, I'd prefer not to see more of the kitchen staff. Watching this show has really made me think twice about eating out in restaurants. In this case, knowledge is dangerous.

And just as a general question out of curiousity, aren't cooks supposed to wear hats or hair nets when they're preparing food?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi
    When I saw all the sweat dripping from the cooks' faces into the food, then saw Rocco's mother squishing the meatball mix with her bare hands, and then saw Rocco pick up the meatball mixture and start rolling it with his bare hands WITHOUT WASHING THEM FIRST, I was completely grossed out. So actually, I'd prefer not to see more of the kitchen staff. Watching this show has really made me think twice about eating out in restaurants. In this case, knowledge is dangerous.

And just as a general question out of curiousity, aren't cooks supposed to wear hats or hair nets when they're preparing food?
    I believe you are right on all counts, mimi.

Mama's straggly hair might be the secret ingredient in those famous meatballs. Talk about fiber.

Dripping sweat and cold food, not a wholesome combination to be sure. Throw in some unwashed hands and you've got the makings of some serious Board of Health violations.

I'm not about to attempt to justify everything that went on in the kitchen last night, HOWEVER, maybe Rocco did wash his hands but that wasn't shown due to my friend and yours: "The Edit Gods". I'm willing to bet that "some" of these things are not what they appear. This has been one of my biggest fears through this entire show. Check out my previous thread "This Show Causes Me Some Concerns".
    This Show Causes Me Some Concerns!

FORT Fogey
    Someone in the kitchen provided me with laughter last night though. That slobby, tubby guy that fell on his butt--it actually registered on the Richter Scale!

Oh, Gawd! The sweat! That was the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    Someone in the kitchen provided me with laughter last night though. That slobby, tubby guy that fell on his butt--it actually registered on the Richter Scale!
    That is not cool at all. You may want to watch your choice of words since that very person you are describing posts on these very boards.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefWinduAZ
    That is not cool at all. You may want to watch your choice of words since that very person you are describing posts on these very boards.
    No prob mud slinging is easy when you are in Boise hiding behind a user name. Thanks for looking out AZ.

FORT Newbie

Yeah, I noticed that too. It was pretty obvious that not only was everyone using bare hands with meatballs (that calls for rubber gloves), but there was little hand washing going on. It is nice, however, to actually see that there are cooks in the restaurant. To this point, the show has primarily featured the waitstaff between Rocco rants.

FORT Newbie
    I'd also like to see more attention paid to the kitchen staff. I'm sure there's plenty of drama going on down below. Regarding the glove issue and the meatballs, one is only required to wear gloves when handling food that is not going to be cooked before it is served.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast